PDA

View Full Version : Agent Rose.

tarantonight
1st Apr 2010, 21:45
Recently, an Andree Peel Nee Andree Virot died in Long Ashton near Bristol at the age of 105.

Unbeknown to a number of locals (sadly me included) Andree was also known as Agent Rose and was a member of The French Resistance during WW11. She was responsible for the saving of many many allied airman. A true heroin who was captured and detained by the Germans in a Concentration Camp. She survived purely by luck, the camp was liberated by Allied Troops.

By coincidence, a local criminal has in the last week been convicted of a large number of 'Distraction Burglaries' (in this case a bogus window cleaner) and his name, a matter of public record, is David Green. One of his victims was Agent Rose. He has been passed a sentence of two and a half years.

Agent Rose - Please accept my upmost respect, without you and your like, I may not be here today.

David Green - Although you are unlikely to ever read this, I sincerely hope you suffer a fate worse than death, in the showers, on a daily basis. You are a total and complete scumbag.

TN.

barnstormer1968
2nd Apr 2010, 10:40
I was in a similar position to you. I live fairly close, and even go to Long Ashton on a regular basis, but had never heard of this lady.

I can't help but feel that if she were living within a different culture, then more folks would know of her, and take more care of her. It seems that Britain easily forgets it's hero's, and instead chooses to worship celebrities instead!

At least the legion put on a good show at the funeral:ok:

I'm sorry if that sounded like a rant, but I cant help notice the comparisons in bravery here:

Person A: fights against an evil empire, with no knowledge of who will win the struggle, at very real risk of hideous torture and death, to serve a greater good.

Person B: While young and fit, chooses to take on elderly or frail people, in the knowledge that if he is caught he will need to be 'understood' by the courts, and then given a roof over his head and three warm meals per day

November4
2nd Apr 2010, 14:41
Oh it gets worse than that bogus window cleaner....

'Despicable' raid at WWII heroine Andree Peel's home (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8565915.stm)

A police spokesman said Mrs Peel's house in the village had been broken into some time after she died at her care home.

"Because it was reported [her death] locally and nationally, a lot of people realised the house was empty."

Chugalug2
2nd Apr 2010, 17:08
tarantonight:
Unbeknown to a number of locals (sadly me included)...
The same goes for us all, tn. In our midst, though sadly as often as not "confined to barracks", the residue of that amazing generation are still with us. Though as Regle, on the "obtaining a pilot's brevet in WWII" thread, reminds us sadly not for very much longer, for like HMQ they are "of an age". An age that we can all be proud of, sometimes envy, though just as often thanking our lucky stars that it was their generation and not ours that had to rise to such an awesome challenge. Some of course rose much higher than others, Andree Peel among them.
RIP Madame