PDA

View Full Version : Vista wireless dropouts

QF A330
1st Apr 2010, 08:20
Hi all,

I have a 1 year old Asus laptop with Vista Ultimate and a wireless router which is connected to the modem.

The task bar has an icon for the network connection which has a cross through it 1/2 of the time and the internet drops out several times a day where I have to either reboot the laptop or reset the modem and router.

My wife has a XP netbook that does not lose either of the connections at all on the same network.

All of the updates are done as required except for IE 8 as when I downloaded it I lost all network access.

Short of getting a new laptop what can I do??

Thanks

jimtherev
1st Apr 2010, 13:15
As a start, why now delete your onboard wireless and let Vista find it and re-install.

<Start> <Control Panel> <System> <Device Manager> <System Devices>, find your wireless link and delete.
Close control panel and restart; wait for Vista to tell you it has found new hardware. Robert should be your uncle.
Good luck.

Just re-read your original post. I wrote, assuming that you had inbuilt wireless... perhaps the modem is external? In that case, do the same, but delete and re-install the modem connection. See if that does it.

timmcat
1st Apr 2010, 15:12
1) Try changing the wireless channel on your router - even though your other machine is connecting OK you may have some interference affecting reception on the laptop.

2) Are you using Windows own (Zero Configuration) wireless network manager, or a third party one supplied with your hardware? If the latter, you may also still have the Zero Configuration Utility running... the conflict between the two often gives the symptoms you describe. It's easy to disable, a quick google will sort it.

bnt
2nd Apr 2010, 11:33
There were quite a few Vista wireless issues, apparently, all fixed by Service Pack 2. So you should be running SP2 by now, and Microsoft is about to withdraw support for anything less.