PDA

View Full Version : Malarone

Chalky
16th May 2001, 22:00
Does anyone have any experience of using Malarone? It's not licensed for use in the UK yet, but it is available from some private clinics.

My Doctor forbids the use of Lariam because of the side-effects, and Cloroquin/Proguanil is regarded as less than ideal for the part of Africa I'm planning to visit, so I'm looking for a viable alternative.

MisNomer
18th May 2001, 01:29
Malarone was launched in the U.K. this week(so your GP can prescibe). It has a 97% efficacy, side effects are similar to placebo. You start taking it one day before you go and continue with it for a week after you return.

MisNomer
18th May 2001, 13:19
Further information regarding Malarone.The dosage is 1 tablet once daily commencing the day before you go and continue for 1 week after you return.It can be taken for a maximum of 28 days.Side effects similar to placebo however there are some drug interactions(with for example metoclopramide,tetracycline).The drug is highly protein bound and can therefore also have an effect on the efficacy of other drugs. Your GP can prescibe and can obtain further information regarding the product from GSK on 0800 221 441.

Chalky
20th May 2001, 15:19
MisNomer

Thanx for the replies. I read in my newspaper yesterday that Malarone had been launched in the UK this week, but your extra information is useful