PDA

View Full Version : CAA and Eyesight

weeladdy
3rd Apr 2001, 20:21
I'm well p*ssed off.
-5.5 each eye so I'd fail the CAA Class 1 medical.

I can never achieve my goal of a UK CPL/IR

Why??? Why???? WHY?????????????????????????

Apparently JAA have issued medical standards for CPL/ATPL, that include any eyesight deviation fully correctable by glasses.

Will the CAA adopt them? Will they heck.They have already made clear they won't.

It's OK of course for (example) US pilots to command their 744's into LHR with eyesight problems that fail the CAA standards.

If the CAA is so worried about this issue and refuse to fall into line with the JAA why don't they ban these pilots? Argument: It's a serious safety hazard.

It's total hypocrisy.

(I have a US Class 1 Medical - and it only cost me 50 quid and a local FAA doctor did it...)

tas
3rd Apr 2001, 23:14
In that case.....you may want to have a look at a book called "Better eyesight without Glasses" written by W H Bates, which details eye exercises for improved vision....worth a look.

If you want more details about it, mail me.

tas

Mr Magoo
3rd Apr 2001, 23:35
Here we go again!!

Just look up dozens of previous threads on this topic - if you can't be bothered to do that then do this:

1. Try not wearing your glasses/contacts from the moment you wake till the moment you go to bed.

2.Don't strain to see whilst trying the above.

3. Buy a pair of cheap +2 reading glasses and wear those over the top of your prescription ones until you:

4. Get a pair of specs made up with, in your case, a -4 correction.

Do this for a month - and mix in some Bates work - get an eyetest and you'll (probably) be at about -4.5D in each eye with a class one in the bag!.

Bulls*it? well no because I got from -5.5 to -3 in 3 months doing that and am now a few weeks away from a frozen ATPL in my back pocket.

Magoo

ASI
4th Apr 2001, 00:08
weeladdy;

I fully appreciate your predicament - I am also in a very similar situation. However, I feel it is necessary to infrom you that it is not the CAA who are oposed to following the ICAO recommendations of scrapping limits on refractive errors, it is the decision of the JAA and this decision, I am led to believe, is due to the views of a small number of member states - the CAA not being one of them.

I completely agree with your comments about how it ridiculous that comercial pilots are able to fly N-registered aircraft into JAA airspace with visual standards not able to satisfy JAA requirements.

I am aware that people have managed to improve their eyesight sufficiently to get through the class 1 using Bates methods, and since you are only just outside the requirements it might be worth following tas' and Magoo's recommendation.

Best of luck.

ASI

[This message has been edited by ASI (edited 03 April 2001).]

Barney
4th Apr 2001, 17:29
Hang on a minute!

You say that you are -5.5D. I remember reading on the JAA website (sad, I know) that the UK CAA would consider issuing a Class 1 to someone who is more mature (in terms of age) if their prescription is -5 to -8, as long as they can demonstrate that their eyes are healthy and stable.

Have you contacted the CAA? They really are helpful. I was -3.5 in each eye, and I was issued with a Class 1 a while ago (when the limit was still -3D). Ask to speak to the optician.......I think his name is Adrian Chorley. Contrary to belief, they help as much as they can (in my opinion) to get you through the medical.

I have found the link in question:

http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/medical/SRG_MED_JMSC_News_2000.PDF

It is actually from the CAA website, but is the minutes from the JAA Medical sub-commitee meeting. Look under December 2000.

Just for info: when I went for my Class 1, they said that eyesight was a bit of a black art at the best of times, and although I was outside the lmits of +/-3, I was within the 'experimental error' of measurement.

So......give 'em a call!!!

I was in your position for a long time (just outside the limits), but now have a class 1. Now an old git at 27, I am waiting for the results for BA FB, and have a final int with BM in May. Never give up......or you WILL fail!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Barney

Lewis
4th Apr 2001, 18:01
Mr Magoo: What's your latest prescription?

ravenx
4th Apr 2001, 19:27
The explanation given to me by the consultant Ophthalmologist for the limit on the prescription was in the case of rapid cabin depressurisation. If this happens glasses steam up immediately and there is nothing you can do about it. A second pair isn't going to help you and they consider -5 to be the limit at which you can safely perform most operations without correction

Mr Magoo
4th Apr 2001, 23:21
Lewis - dunno I havn't had an eyetest for a while but I'm currently driving and flying with -3D glasses, (no not one red and one green lens type of 3D!).

I've got a class 1 renewal soon so I'll probably find out then but who cares now 'cos they revalidate at -8 these days - real Magoo type prescriptions!!.

Cheers

Magoo

eject
5th Apr 2001, 02:49
Magoo

just wondering where you finished up doing your training. Thinking of pulling the pin shortly on present day job and poss heading to US to build to 150 hrs then back here, ATPL exams and IR. Any tips?
Also wondered whether having got JAA Class 1 in one JAA member state can renewal be done in another.

Tiger_ Moth
7th Apr 2001, 00:29
This Bates stuff, most intrigueing.......
can u really improve your eyesight like that? does it work for everyone?
And if u have about -2.5D and -3D then will it improve you as much, or is it thayt the closer you get to perfect, the less u can improve it?