PDA

View Full Version : Service Personnel Voting

defenceheadquarters
31st Mar 2010, 11:55
With a General Election expected to be called soon, Service Personnel are being encouraged to exercise their right to vote, with personnel deployed to Afghanistan encouraged to appoint a proxy.

There's more information on Service personnel voting on the MOD website. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/ServicePersonnelEncouragedToExerciseTheirRightToVote.htm)

Registration forms, for both Service Voters and Ordinary Voters, and details of how to vote, can be obtained from the Electoral Commission Website. See the Related Links section on the right side of the page.

This was posted by the Ministry of Defence.

dallas
31st Mar 2010, 12:14
This site is starting to sound more and more like SROs by the day...

Sand4Gold
31st Mar 2010, 12:22
I agree - utterly ridiculous.

This was posted by the Ministry of Anonymous Forums.

airborne_artist
31st Mar 2010, 12:41
Getting/returning the form is only half the battle. Read on... (http://www.richardbenyon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=720:british-servicemen-overseas-must-not-be-disenfranchised-at-the-general-electionbritish-servicemen-overseas-must-not-be-disenfranchised-at-the-general-election&catid=34:entries&Itemid=2)

minigundiplomat
31st Mar 2010, 18:24
Thanks for that Defence Headquarters. Can you tell me who the key orderly is next Thursday?

Or perhaps how to tie my shoelaces?

This service becomes more of a parody each day

Jumping_Jack
31st Mar 2010, 18:57
I'm not sure why everyone is being so negative. Surely communication should be encouraged by all means....forums such as this included. You never know, DefenceHeadquarters may learn something from the site too!!:ok:

Rigga
31st Mar 2010, 21:01
As I write this there has been 318 views and only 5 responses - possibly 313 people checking their voting arrangements?

Well promulgated, DHQ.

The Magic Rat
1st Apr 2010, 09:29
Quote: "I agree - utterly ridiculous."

What is ridiculous, is that this current government actually stands a chance of getting in again! :mad:

Whatever your views, any method of getting people to the ballot box is valid, this site is no exception.

Blacksheep
1st Apr 2010, 14:47
I reckon it would be a good idea for the Armed Forces to be a Constituency, and elect its own Member of Parliament.

cornish-stormrider
1st Apr 2010, 15:16
Seconded, even if the proposer comes across as a WAFU:E

C'mon Mr Artcifificier - Step outside, bring spanners and a beer or two, Tis a cracking idea too.

Should we propose BEAGS as our MP (cat, pigeons etc) or is he too old?

Aeronut
1st Apr 2010, 20:16
"I reckon it would be a good idea for the Armed Forces to be a Constituency, and elect its own Member of Parliament."

That is genius, but don't we already have an Armed Forces minister?

sidewayspeak
2nd Apr 2010, 09:31
I'm out at KAF until end os Summer so I have an interest in this. Even though I registered as a Service Postal voter before I left, I could be disenfranchised by the system that is [not] in place for Servicemen overseas.

To that end, I've just written via e-mail to my MP asking him to table a question in Parliament as to why there isn't a better system for Servicemen to cast their vote - why should we have to rely on a proxy? My vote is a personal choice and I should be able to partcipate without sharing with another, nor relying on the chance that my post might arrive in time to be counted.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
2nd Apr 2010, 10:06
Surely we must be able to find a responsible officer to act as a returning officer in Bastion/Kandahar, count the votes and return the result?
Or maybe we could vote through JPA so just like our leave passes this week, your friendly 2* gets to see what you're up to!