PDA

View Full Version : Florida Schweizer 300

chopperthedeer
31st Mar 2010, 07:21
Does anyone know where build up some Schweizer 300 hours in Florida (but not at bristow heli)?
I'll be there for holiday and i wish also fly approximately 15-20 hours, it seems that they have only Robinson :ugh:

Basically i need only a chopper and an instructor or a pilot that supervise me during the flight

cheers

HFM
31st Mar 2010, 08:39
Try this one Air Orlando Aviation (http://www.flyairorlando.com/)

Good luck,

HFM

generalspecific
31st Mar 2010, 08:43
ocean helicopters in west palm beach (Nth County airport) have a Schweitz or two and are nice people...

mac oz
31st Mar 2010, 09:18
I remember something in ormond beach..but i don't remember the name... :}

flap flap flap
31st Mar 2010, 10:47
tomlinson aviation

choppersky
31st Mar 2010, 11:27
Helicopter Flight Training - Bristow Academy Inc (http://www.heli.com/)

Gordy
31st Mar 2010, 13:48
chopperthedeer:

not at bristow heli.........it seems that they have only Robinson

You're joking right..This is Bristow:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/Helo-general/f72d3e7e.jpg

chopperthedeer
31st Mar 2010, 14:35
No but i know that Bristow has a huge :E fleet of "300" and i also already visited them at Titusville...i would ask advices about other FL school with a 300 in fleet

rick1128
31st Mar 2010, 15:06
I did some training at Tomlinson earlier this year. Very nice people and easy to deal with. The operate 300CB's and CBi's and they do keep them well maintained.

feathering tickles
31st Mar 2010, 19:29
Does it have to be in Florida?

With the weak British Pound you could perhaps think about going to the UK?

I know for instance that Helicentre.com at Liverpool have some Euro-zone hourbuilders on their 300's at the moment.

anti-talk
31st Mar 2010, 21:11
All of Ocean's 'serviceable' 300's migrated accross the airfield to
Cloud 9 Helicopters in January.
We are equally nice people as well with good rates ;)

Heli-Ice
1st Apr 2010, 09:30
Well if you are looking for sun and maybe a nice view over an active volcano, but don't mind a little bit of cold with your sun, I can hook you up with a 300C at around 210 EUR/hr in Iceland.

Captain Gartmort
1st Apr 2010, 14:41
Go to Cloud 9 in West Palm Beach. You'll get all the hours you want and have a fantastic time too.

handbag
2nd Apr 2010, 22:53
Gordy, will there ever be a time that you stop plugging that place?

Gordy
3rd Apr 2010, 00:26
handbag

Gordy, will there ever be a time that you stop plugging that place?

Actually if you look at my posts, I have not "plugged" "that" place since I left for the second time in 2006. I have sometimes defended, but never recommended as such.

Without getting into it, in my opinion, the training there these days does NOT prepare one for a huge segment of the industry. It will prepare you to work in the gulf where you have "flow charts" and a hierarchal system. It certainly will NOT prepare a pilot for the world of utility, OR to go out in the field with an aircraft with little or no support team right there with you.

Obviously I am somewhat biased. They have their "box" within which you must stay, and make all your radio calls verbatim etc... That is not my style, as many who trained in years past know. And yes, I disagree with a whole bunch of the training style there now.

In my opinion for what it is worth, is that the school has slowly declined into a pilot factory---it was always accused of such, but I never thought of it that way. Some of the rules that are enforced make no sense what so ever---other than it was the whim of some senior instructor. (And yes, I agree I had some odd rules too many years ago).

So, would I recommend the school? Here is what I do know, you will get honest advice, excellent ground training, excellent instrument training, and sound by the book flight training. You will not be allowed to "discover" your style or do anything outside of their "box". If your intent is to work back in Europe or to work in a large company with lots of support, (i.e. the GOM), then I would say yes.

If you prefer more individualized attention, and maybe want to a utility pilot and work independently then I would say no.

Let the sparks fly...

handbag
3rd Apr 2010, 02:58
actually Gordy, I admire you for your response. Wise words from a respected pilot. Fly safe.

Trans Lift
3rd Apr 2010, 03:14
Very well said Gordy. I agree with you whole-heartedly. I was just talking about the place in exact same way tonight.

I think it was better and less of a "factory" when it was HAI. And don't get me started on the hierarchy!!!

flap flap flap
3rd Apr 2010, 14:00
Not sure what it's like now but in 2004-5 it was definitely a pilot factory. A mostly good standard of training, but no variety in terrain/weather, and it didn't really teach you to 'make decisions'. It sort of exists in it's own 'bubble'.