PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER eyesight question!!

Girt_bar
14th May 2001, 15:31
I went to the optometrist today with a concern over my vison standards. Here are the numbers
R 6/12+ -0.75 dioptres
L 6/12+ -0.75 "
Both 6/9
Astigmitism 0.5

First of all what does it all mean? (the optometrist explained but it still went straight over my head.
And finally, would I have to consider corrective lenses for BA CEP

I am getting a little worried so some advice would be much appreciated.

Dr Jekyll
14th May 2001, 15:45
I'm no expert but my understanding is:

6/12 means you can read at 6 metres what someone with 'normal' vision can read at 12 metres. In practice people with no vision problems or with proper correction can usually manage 6/5, but 6/6 corrected or uncorrected is adequate for a class 1.
The -0.75 refers to the strength of the lens required to get your vision as get as its going to get, the minus sign means you are short sighted. The astigmatism of .5 means (I think) that your eyes actually need a correction of .75 + .5 = 1.25 in a certain axis. The limit for a class 1 medical, including astigmatism, is/was 3 dioptres and will be or is already -5, with an astigmatism limit of 2 dioptres, so you would appear to be OK. The last I heard was that BA want an uncorrected vision of 6/24 or better, so again you would appear to be OK, but you will certainly need corrective lenses. Frankly I wouldn't drive a car with 6/12 vision, although you may be just about legal.

Girt_bar
14th May 2001, 16:05
The optometrist wrote 6/12+ meaning in his words "it is very close, if not closer to 6/9". He said that glasses are not neccesary and it would be my choice if I was to get any or not. Funny thing is that I passed a NZCAA class 1 which requires 6/9 in each eye and that was over a year ago.

UniformJuliet
14th May 2001, 18:53
Hi,
Your eyesight is virtually the same as mine.
Not a problem for class one or BA.
From experience, better to wear them than to not. You don't want to go bumping in to anything several thousand feet up because you didn't see it in time! I have wearing glasses as a condition of my class one now.
You might be surprised at the improvement it makes, even when driving a car around at night or watching the telly.