PDA

View Full Version : BA medical requirements

Desk-pilot
20th Aug 2001, 20:03
I have just passed my Class 1 and am planning to sponsor myself through ATPL. I know BA has stricter than class 1 medical standards for sponsored cadets - does anyone know if these apply to all BA entrants or just the cadet sponsored ones?

Desk-pilot

Wedge
23rd Aug 2001, 01:40
Eyesight requirements are also more stringent - and yes the medical requirements are the same whether Cadet or Direct entry.

Desk-pilot
23rd Aug 2001, 11:42
Thanks for the info - looks like I'd better keep on with the weight loss then!

Another bunch of hurdles to jump! Do you know what blood tests they specifically run? I have an underactive thyroid disorder which I take medication for.

regards,

Desk-pilot

NewBloke
23rd Aug 2001, 14:31
As far as I'm aware they just check for Aids/HIV, and drug/alcohol abuse. They probably also check for Haemoglobin count (Anemia) and cholesterol levels like the class 1. They will no doubt find out about your medication from your doctor's records anyway, but I wouldn't worry. I've read a few threads on here where people are on medication for certain conditions and it doesn't necessarily affect the outcome of the medical. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm not a doctor !!! Just trying to ease the anxiety !!

NB ;)

splonguk
26th Aug 2001, 01:18
BA 2946,

I think it was you that I had this discussion with a few days ago, but are you 100% certain that from now on, BAs eye requirements are identical to Class 1 requirements, and that they have dropped the old 6/24 unaided in each eye?? (The medical sheet I got back in April with my applicaton form still said 6/24 etc. When did this change?)

I am just asking because I am off to the Dr and Optician this week to get them to fill in my mini-med form for Trainee Pilot.

SID555
26th Aug 2001, 21:30
NewBloke -

Could you explain at what stage BA check your medical records, and into how much detail they go? Also, do all airlines require to see your records before offering employment?

The reason I ask is because I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which I am still taking medication for which bars me from a medical currently - but I would like to know if it will cause a problem in the future once I have stopped it. Thanks in advance.

NewBloke
28th Aug 2001, 14:03
SID555,

I don't honestly know at which stage they check this but I know they ask you to get your GP to fill in a 'mini-medical' questionnaire before final board. What is covered in this I do not know - sure others will help on this though. And from what I remember you have to sign a disclosure on the application form giving them permission to access med records etc.. so no doubt they do at some stage check. I don't want to say too much in case I'm misleading !! I'm only going by info obtained from BA and previous threads related to this subject....

NB.