PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Conferences

dbc.ooper
29th Mar 2010, 21:42
Have looked into CAA website, cannot find dates and venues for 2010 instructors conferences in South Africa, any help on this issue, Tx

Romeo E.T.
29th Mar 2010, 23:11
it is on the SACAA website

Aviation Personnel Standards: Conferences and Workshop (http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/ASO/APS/ConferencesAndWorkshops.htm)

kingkong123
1st Apr 2010, 06:56
it's a waste of your time anyhow.

Der absolute Hammer
1st Apr 2010, 13:33
The October 2009 conference in Centurion/Pretoria was well organised, extremely well attended and very surprisingly interesting.
There were instructors there from all walks of South African aviation, from DCA old timers (sorry there) to chief pilots of regional airlines.
One of the main points of the conference, as I understood matters, was to present a refresher course to instructors and to provide a briefing forum as to what was the happening with the CAA and new legislation in SA. I think it is the truth to say that the course stands in lieu of having completed XYZ hours of basic instruction within the time period of a valid instructor rating. So you can either do that route or, if you are flying Airbus 380s oout of Singapore and are not actually instructing, you can do the course instead of loosing your instructor rating. A damned good idea!
Personal view point is that I thought it was an excellent arrangment and worth the time to drive from Johanneburg to Pretoria, listen, lunch and learn and far from being a waste of time. In my case with specifical reference, I flew from Germany to attend the conference. Possibly shows how damned ignorant and inexperienced I am that I found it interesting?

Romeo E.T.
1st Apr 2010, 16:34
Der absolute Hammer...very well said.

I needed to attend the symposium due to not having done the required 20hrs instruction in the preceding 12 months, in order to renew my rating, I thought it would be like pulling teeth, and actually dreaded going there.

When I walked out at the end of the day I felt that I had learnt something and it was a day well spent, over and above the interaction with many different instructors from many different fileds of aviation, not to mention the SACAA presenters and their knowledge.