PDA

View Full Version : Glasses vs Contacts

martinf
3rd Jul 2001, 14:40
As a feeler - do most of you wear glasses or contacts.

I have to buy a new pair and am wondering whether I should buy contacts. Unfortunately I have to get Toric lenses which are very expensive.

My main query is when flying I am going to be in a cockpit with UV shielded windows. Currently I wear photocromic lenses which are great for normal outdoor/indoor use but in the cockpit and in cars they do not shade as there is no UV light coming through.

Hence when I am flying in the sun I want to have sunglasses. Do I buy photocromics again and get clipons for the car or flying or pay a lot more for toric lenses which have never been one hundred percent comfortable with me and then buy normal sunglasses on top.

What to do????
What do you others do?

------------------
You can't have everything........Where would you put it?

Tinstaafl
3rd Jul 2001, 15:48
I use glasses + clip on sunnies that have the same frames shape as my glasses. The way these ones clip is with a springy bridge between each eyepiece to apply light tension to a couple of small 'hooks' that grip the outer sides of my specs.

Have done this for about 8 years now & am quite happy with it. I always wear my glasses & the clip-ons require less space (being nearly flat) than another pair of specs. I can also put them on/take them off one handed & without disturbing my headsest.

I make sure that the clip-ons DON'T have polarising lenses. The clip-ons are cheap-ish (A$30), so I had them fitted with good lenses (ND70 or ND80, can't remember).

redsnail
3rd Jul 2001, 15:49
I wear prescription sunglasses and carry a spare pair of clear lens spectacles in my nav bag. I would steer away from photochromics for flying.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

martinf
3rd Jul 2001, 19:04
I might be being a bit simple but here goes..

(BTW) How is the conversion course going reddo?

Tinstafl - why do you not want polarising lens? I thought they were best for seeing cloud etc..
Also what are the ND70 things you mentioned - surely if you buy a pair of clip ons you can not change the lens'

Reddo - why steer away from photocromics? They have been brilliant so far for the normal world - I am just concerned with the flying side as they just don't turn dark in the cockpit. Don't you find it annoying changing the glasses all the time?

------------------

redsnail
3rd Jul 2001, 21:41
From AIC 135/1997
5...."Photosensitive lenses should not be used as changes in light level caused by cloud cover are too sudden for the present clearing responses of the lenses."

Study is going ok. Well, I'll know next week I think. :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Mr Magoo
3rd Jul 2001, 22:34
You don't want polarised sunglasses because of the way multilayer windscreens are made in aircraft - this will have startling effects when trying to look through them with polarising lenses as they can also polarise the light but in unpredictable ways!

Tinstaafl
4th Jul 2001, 03:36
Photocromatics take time to react. At times this isn't quick enough. Also, if it is extremely bright outside, but relatively dark in the cockpit, I find they can be TOO dark for comfortable viewing.

Polarising lenses only allow light of a certain polarity to pass through. Often windscreens are also polarised. Bad luck when they're polarised in a different orientation to your sunglasses. Won't see anything then!

ND70 refers to 'neutral density / 70%'. This means that there is little colour change & that 70% of light is blocked.

My clip ons use screws to fasten the frame around the lens, just like normal glasses.

martinf
4th Jul 2001, 11:37
Cheers for the Hints guys - I ahve an appointment with the contact lens guy soon and am looking at getting some toric lenses and then buying normal non-polarised sunglasses.

Anyone with any tips for the sunglasses. I will do a search cos I reckon this topic has been discussed in one of the forums.

If I can not get comfortable with the toric lenses I am going to go with normal glasses with some good clip-ons!!
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------

martinf
4th Jul 2001, 11:55
Guys and Snails

Hope this works but found this link on the search function:

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum57/HTML/001437.html

Great description of the Sunglass scenarios especially from an Australian viewpoint!

I could find no other references other than serengetis are the preferred option.
Can anyone else link me in.

Cheers

------------------