PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Feedback On A Good CPL/IR Training Organisation

downwind24
29th Mar 2010, 12:54
Hi ,
I will be looking for a CPL/IR training organisation within the next 6 months , can anybody give any good recommendations or who to stay clear of (I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging competition)

Noticed Bonus advertise a new price of £18k for the CPL/IR as a package and pay in stages , seems a good deal but the schools can only offer 1 side of the story.

I'm looking for great tuition and aircraft availability , i'm sure we've all heard the stories of 1 a/c and its always tech !

Would like to fly the DA42 if possible , but beggars and choosers etc

I live near Sheffield so the outer hebrides may be stretching it...... :O

Many Thanks

expedite08
29th Mar 2010, 19:01
If you can get down to Bournemouth, may I suggest Professional Air Training (PAT) A superb outfit with excellent instructors, good a/c serviceablilty and very well run.

I have recently pointed a couple of other people in thier direction also (and no I do not work for them). Undertook and will be completing my IR with them... when, and if the industry ever gets off its backside!

wheelbrace
29th Mar 2010, 20:59
Ironed out the wrinkles creased into me at US FTO.

paco
30th Mar 2010, 04:39
Bonus is seconded!

phil

XXPLOD
30th Mar 2010, 07:57
Bonus still showing £15995 on their website, I guess this is out of date?

Halfbaked_Boy
30th Mar 2010, 08:47
If you're going to head to Cranfield, then please talk to Coulson Flying Services, more specifically Dave.

You won't find better at that airfield.

SpreadEagle
30th Mar 2010, 14:07
My God is Coulsen still flying? He must be 200 by now! He is excellent but a rather large chap. Prepare for lots of leg touching as you go for the throttle.:eek:

Cabair obviously based at Cranfield and they fly DA42's - great training, poor management. Stapleford also have them. Aircraft should be bottom of your wish list though. Check liquidity and employment success after training. And don't scrimp on your training. You want to be the best? Then pay for the best!:ok:

downwind24
30th Mar 2010, 19:14
Thanks all , Bonus does keep popping up with great feedback !

Aircraft , DA42 in particular is second or rather third to ; great training and stability of company , the most two important factors in choosing the right school for training. Iv just learned that at my theory school!

The website is out of date unfortunately and is now £17'995 (im sure the literature said)

Would like to commute and Cranfield should enable me to do that most day's so another plus.

Any more feedback or different schools? was also looking at Multiflight in Leeds but dont know anyone with experience of them ?

downwind24
30th Mar 2010, 19:20
Interestingly PAT has also popped up a couple of times ( 1 private message ) funnily enough i bough their old 172 a couple of years ago :O

Linda Mollison
31st Mar 2010, 08:06
Was that G-BHCC or G-PATI (known to us as Chapatti)?

Linda

Halfbaked_Boy
31st Mar 2010, 09:11
My God is Coulsen still flying? He must be 200 by now! He is excellent but a rather large chap. Prepare for lots of leg touching as you go for the throttle.

Yes he is! I think it's just one of those medical mysteries...

Throttle's not too bad - it's when you want to get at a floor mounted trim wheel that the problems begin! :eek:

zerotohero
31st Mar 2010, 09:32
Multiflight

I had an issue with them on the IR, the instructor was trying to teach me some over the top mathematical nonsense more than flying the aircraft

yes you need a good level of working maths to fly a plane, but a lot of it all ball park stuff as there are many variables!

I was trying to fly an NDB hold not win the Nobel Peace prize in mathematics!

needless to say I left did it elsewhere and now have a job,,, told a friend of mine the same when he decided to go there, he got the same problem and left after a week and did it elsewhere and also has a job now.

sure they might be a good school but I just could not get on with there method of teaching.

PPRuNeUser0173
31st Mar 2010, 11:55
What total tosh!! They teach a very simple way to work out drift and timing in the hold. If you thought that was complicated you should see some of the other rubbish that other schools teach.

downwind24
31st Mar 2010, 14:24
It was indeed 'Rati' when i bought her , the owner after PAT was not a curry fan !

Multiflight would be commutable , but would like to know more about them first , thanks for your continued feedback :O

zerotohero
1st Apr 2010, 05:25
not really tosh to me!

I have an easier time understanding women that understanding that crap they were throwing at me!

I really did look at the instructor and think WTF!
1500hr Boeing, never needed that over complicated drift crap, 500hours Instructor myself, never needed it, 300hours other flight time, never needed it, 2300hrs never needed it, cant understand it if I did and would rather crash than work it out that way

take half the head wind, divide by the intercept angle, add that to the weight of your first born baby then times it by the number of red cars you saw on the way to work this morning and then you have your max drift angle so long as its less than 2thirds your ground speed while shopping in tesco! thats basically as much sense as it made

point is when its crappy weather at night in a light twin running low on fuel you can just use ball park figures and watch the needles. not use above formulas

again WTF!

PPRuNeUser0173
5th Apr 2010, 07:41
Oh dear,
That particular method isn't taught at Multiflight!! Ask the hundreds of students who have passed through the place - even the "slow" ones get it eventually.

Aviator2008
5th Apr 2010, 08:54
I agree with Expedite,

I decided upon using PAT to gain my IR, and i have no regrets, i had good instruction and was pleased with the way i was treated. They are completely upfront, and give you all the information you need before you start. What i liked about them was when i asked for prices they GAVE ME the prices, unlike others. Usually i hear its £xxxxx but then find out that it doesnt include tax, doesnt include this and doesnt include that, where as PAT gave me the price of everything.

I don't know if you know this, but the Flyer exhibition will be in london Heathrow (sofitel hotel) on the 24th April, it may be worth a visit as most of the schools mentioned on this post will be there advertising themselves. That way you can ask the all important questions to all of the schools all on the same day, face to face as apposed to over the phone :) - That is how i managed to find PAT.

LONDON PROFESSIONAL FLIGHT TRAINING EXHIBITION (http://exhibitions.flyer.co.uk/london.htm)

Worth checking out .... good luck with your studies :ok:

A08

wheelbrace
5th Apr 2010, 09:49
Zerotohero;

take half the head wind, divide by the intercept angle, add that to the weight of your first born baby then times it by the number of red cars you saw on the way to work this morning and then you have your max drift angle so long as its less than 2thirds your ground speed while shopping in tesco!

This rule only applies when Mars enters Uranus (its orbit, you understand...) and the month has an 'R' in it - and you are a parent. Otherwise you should use the half split ganglion method, using Pi's reciprocal (in full) as the only constant.

Alternatively, check the GPS unit confirms what the needles show. Or vice versa - I can never remember.

riche_777
5th Apr 2010, 10:02
Im planning to do my CPL in europe, i am from india,

i am confused over choosing jerez or oxford and the opportunities associated with the school once i finish my course , i am an indian national so wondering if airlines in europe would consider,

on the other hand should i take up a integrated or modular and skip ATPL THEORY IF I WISH TO RETURN TO INDIA AND CONVERT MY LICENCE !??

DO Oxford or jerez offer integrated courses skipping ATPL ?

DOES OXFORD AND JEREZ COURSES INCLUDE TRAINING RIGHT FROM UR PPL TILL ATPL ? ( AS THEIR INTEGRATED AND MODULAR COURSE DOES NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT PPL ! on the website)

is CTC WINGS A BETTER OPTION ? ( POST TRAINING JOb OPPORTUNITIES ? GOOD QUALITY EDUCATION )

downwind24
6th Apr 2010, 09:36
A08 - Thanks for that little nugget of gold ! I will endeavour to make the trip down however i have 6 exams in June :\ and am currently studying 15 or so hours a day ............ im sure there are people reading that nodding !

Riche 777 , you have to select options and then 'start new thread' your post offers no help or relevance to my original thread/question !

Again , thanks to the suggestions please keep them coming :O