PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop

planecrazy.eu
29th Mar 2010, 12:37
I was wondering if its possible to have 2 users logged in on Windows XP?

What i want to do is get on my XP machine whilst away, or even in another room (living room).

But under the setup at the moment, the second i login via RDC, it boots off the user on the XP machine to let me on.

Was wondering if there is a way for me to get on my desktop, whilst another user is on theirs?

XP Pro?

Thanks

Saab Dastard
29th Mar 2010, 15:00
No, Windows XP doesn't natively support multiple concurrent interactive users.

However, I'm sure there are various 3rd party terminal servers that will run on XP - i.e. don't require a server edition of Windows.

SD

IO540
29th Mar 2010, 15:50
Incidentally, has anybody tried running the AFPEx (flight plan filing) Java client application over the WinXP Remote Desktop?

I can categorically confirm it does not work over PC/Anywhere... well it almost does but the "almost" bit is just too flakey in terms of screen updates.

Keef
29th Mar 2010, 16:12
Windows Remote Desktop will turf you off the PC that's being accessed from outside.

I use "LogMeIn" free, and that does allow it. In fact, someone can sit at the accessed PC and see stuff happening.

I used to use a VPN to access my home PC when away, but MS removed Remote Desktop from the Home User edition of Win 7. I tried various VNC packages: some worked fairly well, some didn't. But LogMeIn is so easy that I only use the VPN now to transfer files from the home PC to the laptop or vice-versa.

I think there was an earlier MS utility that allowed "remote assistance" and "teaching" over the net, but it's too long ago and I don't remember the name of the package.

mixture
29th Mar 2010, 21:44
Hello,

At a glance, what the others here have not picked up on is your question :

Was wondering if there is a way for me to get on my desktop, whilst another user is on theirs?

In technical terms, not only do you want multiple simultaneous usage, but you also want to use multiple profiles simultaneously. None of the solutions mentioned thus far (e.g. "LogMeIn", "VNC" etc.) will let you do that.

Not possible to do what you want under any Microsoft desktop software, irrespective of version. Both due to licensing, but mainly due to commercially imposed technical constraints (i.e. they want you to buy Windows Server)

douglas.lindsay
29th Mar 2010, 22:35
I'm pretty sure Mixture is right. Might be worth telling us what you want to do on the XP machine - i.e. there may be easier ways of doing things that don't involve Remote Desktop solutions at all?

Saab Dastard
29th Mar 2010, 23:08
As I said in my original post

I'm sure there are various 3rd party terminal servers that will run on XP - i.e. don't require a server edition of Windows.

Here's an example - it's just one of several I found, not a recommendation:

XP Unlimited (http://www.xpunlimited.com/)

SD

Shunter
30th Mar 2010, 06:38
XP can be "modified" to permit multiple concurrent terminal sessions should you so desire.

>>> Enabling Multiple Remote Desktop Sessions in Windows XP Professional and Media Center Edition 2005 (http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabling-multiple-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows-xp-professional-and-media-center-edition-2005/)

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2010, 13:11
Interesting (and naughty)!

I should point out that it is definitely a breach of the terms & conditions of the XP license.

SD

HandyAndy
30th Mar 2010, 16:20
I use "LogMeIn" free, and that does allow it. In fact, someone can sit at the accessed PC and see stuff happening.

+1 for LogMeIn - 'er indoors had a minor problem sending an e-mail and I logged in to her pc from here in the States and sorted it out, plus she could "see" what I was doing on her screen and realised her mistake. It's a good program and the free version works well. The paid version allows one to transfer files between pc's.

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2010, 16:36
Andy,

Again, you are missing the point - the requirement is to allow two independent concurrent connections to the same PC, one remote the other at the console.

Crucially, both users must see their own "desktop", and be able to work independently.

Sure, LMI allows two people to view the same desktop but that's not the requirement.

SD

ZH875
30th Mar 2010, 16:41
Logmein is ok, but Teamviewer IMHO is much much better.

txdmy1
30th Mar 2010, 17:32
Windows desktop operating systems are designed for the use of 1 user, with remote controlby another, only 1 at once. They are not designed for multi-threading and dont work very well on multi tasking. Whereas Billy Box server operating systems are designed to do just that. You gets what you pay for.