PDA

View Full Version : "Experimental" Light Aircraft

sibeymai
29th Mar 2010, 10:07
I have some questions regarding what I'm told is an "experimental" type of aircraft. I'm being told by a recreational pilot things which don't sound correct to me. As I'm not a pilot or have first hand experience I thought this forum might be able to give some informed comment. Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

1. Is there an internationally recognised class/type of light aircraft referred to or classified as "experimental" (class/type characteristics agreed to and applied consistently internationally) ? For example, the Long-EZ.

2. For an "experimental" aircraft, are there restrictions which apply to their operation such as;
- speed limits
- operating ceiling or maximum altitude
- access to controlled airspace
- distance flown
- pilot qualifications

3. Would the pilot of an "experimental" aircraft be allowed to take off from a controlled airfield for an international destination without filing a flight plan with the relevant authorities ?

4. Would the pilot of an "experimental" aircraft be allowed to land at a controlled airfield from an international destination without having filed a flight plan ?

5. What documentation is a foreign pilot of a foreign registered aircraft (an "experimental") required to produce on arrival at a controlled airfield from an international destination ?

I'm no expert, but I'm being told that no flight plan or documentation is required for such travel if the aircraft is "experimental". True or not ?

Double Zero
29th Mar 2010, 11:40
I'm not a pilot, but have done a lot of flying as an aerial photographer inc. military aircraft etc over the years.

I stand to be corrected, but the bit your chum is telling you about no documentation for travel etc sounds very wrong to me !

As I understand it, ' Experimental ' is a strict term for unusual / prototype aircraft, of a civil persuasion as military aircraft - even prototypes - will have their own set of rules.

For example, Art Nalls' private Sea Harrier XZ439 ( well worth googling his site and adding a supportive message ) is listed as ' Experimental ', as though it's obviously a proven design,

A, Art has had to make some modifications such as changing the ejection seat etc,

B, I don't think the FAA could think of anything else to term it !

Note the only ' problem ' he has been asked to sort out was the font & size of the actual ' Experimental ' lettering on the aircraft, though he's predictably had to wade through tons of paperwork.

If people could make an adaptation of some kind to an aircraft so as to qualify as Experimental, and that allowed document-free international travel, I suspect the first modification would be drug carrying pods !

sibeymai
29th Mar 2010, 11:53
Double Zero, thanks. I agree. Something smells like fish. Like to hear from some more forum members.

Ten West
29th Mar 2010, 20:09
Most of this sounds about right from what I've learned talking to a pilot pal of mine who's considering buying an "experimental" kit aircraft:

Experimental aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_aircraft)

sibeymai
29th Mar 2010, 21:24
Thanks Ten West. Understand the aircraft registration aspect and it would seem that generally, apart from the airworthiness certificate, these aircraft are subject to the same restrictions which apply to other light aircraft.

It seems likely that a pilot could operate in uncontrolled airspace where VFR applies without a flight plan. However, if flying in controlled airspace, or into or out of a controlled airfield, then I'm wondering if a flight plan is required. Even more so if the departure/arrival involves crossing international borders.

For example, how would a controlled airfield handing commercial scheduled traffic be able to handle light aircraft with no flight plans ? How would Immigration and Customs normally handle an unannounced international arrival by an experimental light aircraft ? I'd expect the same rules would apply regardless of the aircraft type.

Double Zero
30th Mar 2010, 10:48
I wouldn't be surprised if Customs are peering at this thread now, wondering what will come of it !

As an example of how popular unannounced international flights would be, I used to work at an aviation museum in Southern England; the original hard runways were torn up long ago, but any aircraft capable of mildly rough ground operations could still fly from there ( there was NO official flying at all ).

There were reports that microlights were landing there now & again, probably just for a break and cup of tea, but the Customs were quite rightly alerted and asked us to keep an eye out for any such activity.

There is also the aspect that depending why the aircraft is experimental ( paperwork, or a truly unproven aircraft ? ) one might be unwise to travel internationally in it, and knowing how customs in other countries - and UK on return - work, I should think one would be inviting a huge pile of forms to fill in...

flyingfemme
30th Mar 2010, 16:31
Experimental is, to Americans, what the Brits call a "permit to fly"...in the UK we have a permit from the LAA (homebuilt and/or conforming to a fairly strict set of rules) or a CAA permit (less restrictive, often more powerful and frequently ex-mil). Americans lump everything together and call it Experimental........it's not, really.
Basically it is anything that does not qualify for a Standard ICAO Certificate of Airworthiness for whatever reason.
That is not to say it can be any old pile of bolts you glued together. They are still required to pass an annual airworthiness inspection by a qualified inspector.
In the USA an "experimental" aircraft may do pretty much what any "normal" aircraft can do. They are often faster and better equipped than C of A machines and can be pressurised.
Because such a machine does not have a standard ICAO airworthiness, travel outside the state of registration requires explicit permission. This is generally sought before taking off and "ramp checks" rarely happen because all the documents have been approved beforehand.