PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

PanZa-Lead
29th Mar 2010, 03:10
I asked our company if they are going to put extra flights to SA during the World Cup. They said there would be NO extra flights but they will put a larger aircraft on the route. This is to accommodate extra passengers LEAVING South Africa during the World Cup. All other countries that have hosted the WC the local population has stayed and enjoyed the games etc. Only in SA do people leave to escape the WC...just goes to show....

grjplanes
29th Mar 2010, 06:59
Goes to show what!???
Rather go read the thread about world cup flights, surely all those extra flights and larger aircraft isn't just for people leaving the country, but infact the others coming in. How many people should really use Cathay Pacific to the World Cup...the Chinese...maybe the North Korean teams followers...? The Japanese followers might be using it, as they've got quite a large following contingent already...but they much more prefer SQ, MH and SA (with ANA codeshare).
Some airlines are flying specially for the world cup to SA, like Aerolinas Argentinas, TAM, LANChile, Gol, AeroMexico and several charter companies from Europe, while many of the usual carriers is adding flights and also using larger aircraft. Infact just last week AR increased the amount of flights for the tournament from 14 to 22 (all 747-400).
Ofcourse there is people also going out of the country, normal business practices around the world and in SA carries on, while also school holidays, so people take advantage of it to take annual leave, that's just beneficial for the airlines.
On pprune there is always more people that want to be pessimistic and just look for the bad things...just goes to show...

OZvandriver
29th Mar 2010, 09:17
I cant wait to get over to SA for the world cup!

proceeding outbound
29th Mar 2010, 09:26
There could of course be a perfectly logical explanation for this:

If you are not interested in football you could rent out your house / flat / apartment to football fans to fund your holiday in Hong Kong.

As a matter of interest, are the seats cheaper going in the "wrong" direction?

ian16th
29th Mar 2010, 16:48
As a matter of interest, are the seats cheaper going in the "wrong" direction? proceeding outbound,

I asked this question of the 'Travel Editor' of the Joburg 'Saturday Star' some months ago.

I never got an answer :bored:

Q4NVS
30th Mar 2010, 08:26
http://http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/406424-official-soccer-world-cup-2010-thread.html