PDA

View Full Version : RAF Colour Vision Tests

Eagle 1
28th Mar 2001, 00:21
Does anybody know if the RAF use the Holmes Lantern test for colur vision or the Ishihara plates test?
Thanx

:)Eagle 1 :)

[This message has been edited by Eagle 1 (edited 28 March 2001).]

aerostude
28th Mar 2001, 14:26
I'm not sure what they are called but they use the book with all the numbers disguised with dots in them. Sounds technical I know!!

Speed Racer
28th Mar 2001, 16:58
Aint it ishihara with the lil dots? think so... wouldn't know bout if they accept lantern tests or not, best way is to call up and ask i would guess!
Good luck!

SpeeD

Eagle 1
28th Mar 2001, 19:58
Do you have to get every single plate correct to pass?
Thanx
:)Eagle 1 :)

Speed Racer
30th Mar 2001, 07:19
i think the standard pass on the ishihara test is u can get 2 wrong out of 14 ( i think.. dont quote me on it) .. that's how i failed my initial class 1.. got 11 right out of 14 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Dunna matter though, lantern tests to the rescue!

Eagle 1
30th Mar 2001, 19:52
I know that the Class 1 medical gives you the chance to take the Lantern test if you fail the ishihara plates, but do the RAF?
Thanx
:) Eagle 1 :)

grob103
2nd Apr 2001, 03:19
I'd phone them, but I understand they require you to pass the Holmes Wright lantern.

I do not know if this is in addition to, or instead of the Ishihara.

What I do know is that the intensity of the lights is much lower than that of the civilian test, and is considerably more difficult to pass.

When I had my colour vision professionally (and independently) assessed, I had a quick look at the lower intensity setting, and it's WELL outside what I can do. :\

grob103