PDA

View Full Version : PSA

JPJ
10th May 2001, 23:27
Next time you have a routine blood test make sure that they include a PSA (Prostate) test, if you are over 50. A pal of mine had this test tagged on to a company medical, and the results, which led to an operation, saved his life.
Your GP won't necessarily like it, because it is expensive, but insist.

Lou Scannon
13th May 2001, 14:24
You may find some medical people(including Urologists) have little time for this test and will tell you that it can give false positives. They then offer the alarming news that even if it indicates that you have prostate cancer it may be better not to do anything as the operation can have serious side effects.

All this is no doubt true to some extent but in my opinion we should be moving towards a position where we have the knowledge to make informed choices. Knowing that you may well have prostate cancer will at least give you the chance of making a decision. Swanning around in blissful ignorance as the cancer possibly develops to unmanageable levels is plain stupid when this test is available.

All males over 50...Go for it!

------------------
Lou Scannon

Lou Scannon
14th May 2001, 14:22
Some doctors, and even urologists, are less than enthusiastic about the Prostatic Specific Antigen test. They suggest that it can give false positives and go to some lengths to tell you about the possible serious side-effects of any operation in that area.

False positives are indications that pilots learn to deal with on an every day basis and usually by cross checking they can determine whether any action is needed.

As to unfortunate side-effects, letting a prostate cancer grow unchecked can and does lead to that very unpleasant side-effect known as death. It does seem to be true that many old men die with, but not from, a prostate cancer but many are still dying prematurely young from the problem.

It's all down to the individual being able to make an informed decision and to do that you need to know the facts that a PSA check can provide. Read the articles in the BALPA "Log" for more information.

Sorry for this double entry, but it has taken 24 hours for the post to appear-and this is to me, a very important subject.
------------------
Lou Scannon

[This message has been edited by Lou Scannon (edited 14 May 2001).]