PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 eyesight.

gdb1973
9th May 2001, 03:43
Can anyone help me with this?

I really REALLY want to fly for a living, I have a clean enough credit rating to borrow 10 grand and I live near OATS with my parents (So accomadation would be free). In fact, i've worked on that airfield in the past. I fly RC aeromodels and a few hops in Glider and light aircraft have revealed a reasonable natural ability with planes (probably born of many years of practice in my imagination!) So far, so good.

However, a few years ago I had an infection in my left eye that left some slight occular inclusions (read "spicks and spacks") on my retina. Now I can see these if I go looking for them, but I can drive okay with that eye only and the other is unaffected. I can read car number plates at roughly the same distance as my "good", right, eye but reading text in magazine with the left is more of a challenge, but I can do it.

The question is "does slight residual damage to just one eye's retina automatically bar you from a Class one medical?" and i'd also like to know "Is there a "Rule of thumb" test I can can do to give an indication as to how viable a Class 1 is?"

A little more background. Colour vision is excellent, low light vision is also very good, but I have a lowish glare tolerance - (the two are mutually inclusive!) I do wear glasses of medium power. Earlier this year I took a copy of the Class 1 to my optician, he said he could not see any reason why I would not pass but that he did not understand some of it, and other bits were ambiguous. Incidentally, the damage came from an infection brought in on a contact lens, and it was something called "Empi". More i do not know.

I know I can go to the CAA (JAA?) to book a 400 quid medical test, but i'd like to avoid doing that if I have no chance of passing! Is it possible to get a "pre-test" done, without the CAA paperwork to give me some idea if class1 is viable in my case?

If I can't get a "working" licence, then i'd like to take up gliding and 400 quid is a LONG way to a glider rating!

Thanks in advance.

wardr1
9th May 2001, 13:13
You should probably call up the CAA with your queries and I'm sure they will help.

Or you can just go for it (you have got the money!!) and it may not be a problem at all, but if it is, at least you will know what your limitations are and plan what you want to do with your flying career.

Sorry if this dose not help, I'm new to all this!

FireDragon
9th May 2001, 15:51
GDB

Contact the CAA at Gatwick, explain the problem, and ask to have just the visual part of the medical done.

If all goes well, (and I'm sure it will), you can then go ahead with the rest. If there is a problem, then at least you've only paid for the eyesight part of the medical.

FD

gdb1973
9th May 2001, 23:56
Cheers, that's pretty well what I was expecting. Do you guys happen to have the number handy? Or who to ask for?

Thanks again.

BigTimeWannabe
10th May 2001, 00:59
Go to their website and the number should be there.

www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk)

BTW

P.S. I wish I could go and train with you at OAT!!!