PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word troubles

hautemude
27th Mar 2010, 18:58
I have recently bought a new computer with Windows 7. I have an edition of Word 2007 student edition which I loaded into my new PC.

Whenever I want to write a letter or whatever the page presented is almost blank in terms of useful tools. There are rulers on the sides but the mini toolbar has choices such as redo and I have found a list of others that I can add but it does not include tools such as Fonts, colours, justification.

If I point at HOME at the top, I immediately get the full toolbar to which I was accustomed on my old Vista PC. I can then select Justify, Fonts, colours etc but the moment I begin to type again, it all goes and so I have to select Home again when I want to start typing using another tool

What can I do to resolve this impasse.

hautemude
27th Mar 2010, 19:39
Many thanks Stacey. I regret it has only changed the appearance very slightly. As soon as I start typing I loose all the USEFUL tool bar. Maybe I should clear all MS office off my comp and then reload it!

rans6andrew
27th Mar 2010, 19:50
you could get a free Open Office suite of office stuff. Why anyone actually pays for MS Office is beyond me.

Rans6...

spannersatcx
27th Mar 2010, 19:57
If you click on the office button (top left) it gives you print etc, but at the bottom of the right hand pane is a word options button, click on that and you can make changes in there.

Loose rivets
27th Mar 2010, 20:06
I've got a Beta 2010, I'm not familiar with 2007

What have you got under File Options Advanced Display? ie what boxes are ticked?

Mornington Crescent
28th Mar 2010, 10:18
Could it be the ribbon is minimised?

If so, right click alongside add ins at the top right. Then deselect minimise ribbon.

hautemude
29th Mar 2010, 07:20
Many thanks to most of you. I have tried everything that has been suggested without result. I have now cleared Office & re-loaded it with the same result, so perhaps it is an issue with Windows 7 which does seem to come with "issues" such as an almost total lack of compatible low end scanners. rans6andrew's comment was singularly unhelpful. You must be very bored. When I bought office a few years ago, I had never heard of Open Office even if it did exist.

Mornington Crescent
29th Mar 2010, 08:53
FWIW I am using Win 7 and the Home and student edition of 2007 and have not encountered any problems. A call to MS might solve the problem!

I am using an HP G3010 which is a cheap end scanner and it is working fine on Win 7. ( Although the operation is a bit pedestrian)

Loose rivets
29th Mar 2010, 14:44
Mornington's post gives a lead to exactly the same symptoms as you describe.

I'm only playing with the Beta, so it's another thing I've learned.

Folk who wave a flag for Open office, often feel compelled to do so because of the feeling that MS are controlling the world. I agree to some extent, and have tried the W-P for a while. It really is a fantastic freebie, but just too different for an old dinosaur to change to.

green granite
29th Mar 2010, 14:54
Folk who wave a flag for Open office, often feel compelled to do so because of the feeling that MS are controlling the world

There and I always thought they just disliked paying for summat when you can get the nearly same thing for nowt. :)

Union Jack
29th Mar 2010, 15:24
rans6andrew's comment was singularly unhelpful. You must be very bored. When I bought office a few years ago, I had never heard of Open Office even if it did exist.

Hautemude

Following a short period of quiet reflection, you should perhaps appreciate that you are being unduly hard on Rans6andrew. You asked "What can I do to resolve this impasse" without imposing any preconditions and he, who appears to have a clear understanding of what an "impasse" really is, gave you a perfectly reasonable answer within an hour of your request.

And no, I don't use Open Office!

Jack

PS I trust that your problem has now been sorted:ok:

IO540
29th Mar 2010, 16:00
Unfortunately, Open Office is not quite 100% compatible with Micro$0ft Orifice.

If it was, M$ would be out of business on this product.

It's all driven by whether other people, particularly people working in what I might call "fancy corporate environments", are sending you documents for review.

If not, i.e. if you are generating documents to be read by others, then Open Office is just fine, because M$ Orifice will open its documents OK, AFAIK.

If others send you documents which you just need to read, you can use an old copy of Orifice (say 2003) with the M$ Compatibility Pack, to view them.

But if others send you documents which you need to edit and return, then you have to spend the $$$$$ :)

In my case, when I get a .docx, I quite enjoy emailing back saying "we not not have the latest version of the Micro$oft software used to generate this document" :)

Keef
29th Mar 2010, 16:38
When someone sends me a .docx or an .xlsx, my Office 2003 opens it with no bother at all.

I downloaded the compatibility pack (free). It does what it says it does.

Loose rivets
31st Mar 2010, 21:32
In my case, when I get a .docx, I quite enjoy emailing back saying "we not not have the latest version of the Micro$oft software used to generate this document"

Isn't that double negative saying that you do have it? :}

The one major problem issue I had with Office 2007, is that Micro$oft, decided in their usual arrogant fashion that they would install a half gig MSOCache folder on the primary drive without the user/customer having any say. Tough on those folks who wish to keep their OS partition lean and mean..

I raised this point on my Partition Specific Thread. I'm still waiting to load my new W7 on a second machine, mostly because I don't want to use a third party's soft to reduce that Cdrive down to 100 gigs. Keef suggested bootiong in one of the Linux type OSs and I searched for my $1 disc that had been sitting on the shelf for ages. I'd just had one of those "must clear everything out" days. It was gone.

Every time I throw something away!!!!!:ugh::ugh:

My good old Word Perfect generates a good MS Word .doc Strangely, it won't convert other .doc's to .wpd's

Bushfiva
1st Apr 2010, 02:09
MSOCache is a user-selectable item. If you check "delete installation files" after installing Office, MSOCache goes. Otherwise it stays. If you're keeping your installation files, obviously they've got to be somewhere on the hard disk. Google will show you the MS tools to control the location and/or later removal of the cache.

Loose rivets
1st Apr 2010, 04:06
My problems started as soon as the OS was installed. I divided the disc into 3, but the C was some 280gigs.

After advice on this forum I did try to move the hidden files, but without success.

Bushfiva
2nd Apr 2010, 01:19
I stand corrected. In 2007 it's (vaguely) movable but can't be deleted.