PDA

View Full Version : Ask Jeeves = PITA

Lon More
27th Mar 2010, 11:35
This thing is becoming annoying. I do a Google search, find what I want and click on it only for an Ask Jeeves search to open, Clicking on the same title there only brings me back to Jeeves. I can't find anywhere to remove this thing from the PC, Has it possibly been introduced as a virus?

Keef
27th Mar 2010, 12:14
Is Google perchance showing you an Ask Jeeves result?

I find that ciao often produces the top two or three results in a Google search. I just look for the next entry that isn't ciao (I never use ciao because when you go to the site, it's not what you looked for anyway).

If all Google results divert you to Ask Jeeves, then you could use your hosts file to block it. Might work.

What do you have set as your default search engine?

Lon More
27th Mar 2010, 12:26
Keef No Google gives a list, when i select from that I get the Jeeves page.

I only have Google (default) and Dogpile installed, Jeeves comes up with both of these

BOAC
27th Mar 2010, 13:59
OS? Browser?

Lon More
27th Mar 2010, 19:21
OS + Vista Home Edition
Browser IE 7

Loose rivets
27th Mar 2010, 20:18
Dogpile !!?? :\ The World gets stranger by the minute.

themidge
27th Mar 2010, 21:27
Yeah that's a virus/spyware. Dealt with a case of that just this week. It may take a combination of tools to take care of it. Try adaware first.
Ad-Aware Free Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux)

Keef
27th Mar 2010, 22:35
I don't recognise that one, but it does sound like a nasty. One of the "diagnosis" routines - I use Housecall but there are others.

I also don't use IE - it caused me much grief a while ago, and Firefox has been well-behaved so has kept the job.

themidge
27th Mar 2010, 22:39
That's something that might help determine what it is - do you still get the same problem if you use firefox? The one I was working on redirected in IE and then returned a 404 page not found in Chrome and Firefox.

Lon More
28th Mar 2010, 12:56
Thanks everyone. The Problem seems to be sorted. I ran some adware search programs and went back to Firefox . That said, a WebSearch page giving the choice of Google or Ask Jeeves, with Jeeves as the preferred option has opened on a couple of occasions. Just a question of getting used to it again.