PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar help needed again ref the engine upgrades

NutLoose
27th Mar 2010, 08:12
When they were up-engined, sometime before 1983, but was there any physical sign, e.g. length of afterburner cans that altered, or was it all internal?

This is for the stunning 1/32 model that will be coming out :)

mister hilter
28th Mar 2010, 00:28
NutLoose, AFAIK there were no external signs. What you call the 'afterburner cans' I knew as 'module 12'. It is wholly contained in the exhaust, after the low pressure turbine and only visible when standing directly behind the engine. Also a bugger to remove/refit requiring a specially made extra long 11/16th (if memory serves) spanner and usually a forearm full of cuts and grazes after job completed.
Hope this helps.

NutLoose
28th Mar 2010, 00:36
Thanks, I left the jag fleet before the update, remember well fitting them as I was jailed for want of a better word in 431MU after coming off the squadrons to finish the last month or so of my tour.......... I would have rather been posted home early than suffer that place, thank god in my whole career those couple of months were the only ones off a squadron. :)

The just needed to know if anything needed to be changed for the uprated power........ as it seems to have been all internal, that makes it easier, its gonna be a nice model :D

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s351/andlovemen/Sepecat%20Jaguar/DSC_6915.jpg

mister hilter
28th Mar 2010, 03:37
Thanks for the photo NL. Where's the finished article gonna be displayed?
Sorry to hear about the 'stretch' on 431. I was only on 6 sqn, then briefly (15 mths) in Thumrait circa 2000/01.

Hammer Head Too
28th Mar 2010, 08:38
Nutloose. That looks an amazing model in the making:D:D You were lucky! I did a full 3 year tour building 102/104 Adour on 431MU circa 79-82, watching all the Sqn lads jet off to Flag, Decci et al..... only dets we had was picking up crashed aircraft in mainland Europe:{

NutLoose
28th Mar 2010, 13:26
Thanks guys was lucky too in not being nailed on Jags for my career, did Wessex, Puma, Chinook, Jaguar, VC10......... and that the 431 couple of months, which to be honest was a godsend, it let me know that I never ever wanted to be in such a situation again..... something I have held true to ever since. Cannot list what i now have on my Civilian type licences as they run into hundreds.

As for the 1/32 Jaguar model pic, well there are more some of which I have previously posted on here, and we are working with Trumpeter to get it right, you can view more here

1:32 Jajuar - ARC Air Discussion Forums (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=196461)

And the 1/32 Buccaneer which we are helping out with are here

The Black Project Discussion - Britmodeller.com (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41892)

Softie
28th Mar 2010, 20:38
Nutloose

Congratulations on an absolutely great model of the Jaguar. My only observation is that the RAF, to my knowledge (76-92) never used the drop tanks with the end plates on the tail winglets; these were used only by the French. The tank you show on the centre line pylon is correct form. Also 3 tanks would only be considered for ferry flights. Typical training configuration was 2 wing tanks with 2 CBLS outboard.

NutLoose
28th Mar 2010, 22:25
Softie, not mine, just linking you to the Trumpeter prototypes, the droppers are the french version I believe, there is about 5 versions planned GR1.. 3.. Tbird.. french and international :)

mister hilter
29th Mar 2010, 18:54
End Plates, would have been a godsend Softie. I seem to remember no end of guys with split heads/stitches from losing arguments with those drop tank fins. :{

Nut Loose just realised what a stupid question I asked re displaying finished article. Re-read your post and saw the scale. :ugh: Guess that tells you I'm not much of a modeller!
Still a bloody good likeness though.

NutLoose
29th Mar 2010, 19:57
:) 1/32 scale might not sound a lot until you think about it, that converts out to about 20.7 inches in length or nearly 2 foot..