PDA

View Full Version : The fate of one Nimrod has at least been decided

NutLoose
27th Mar 2010, 08:07
Well it has been rumoured for sometime now but i`m glad to be able to finally say that its official Yorkshire Air Museum & Allied Air Forces Memorial at Elvington, York will recieve a "live" Nimrod MR2 . A crew has already been assembled to take care of her and maintain her to a high standard and enable fast taxi runs to be performed in front of museum visitors on the Thunder Days. Below I`ve included the official announcement which i recieved from the museum themselves.

The Royal Air Force today announced that the Yorkshire Air Museum & Allied Air Forces Memorial at Elvington , York is to recieve an iconic Nimrod MR2

Elvington will be the only Museum in the world to display a LIVE example of the remarkable Nimrod military reconnaissance aircraft.

Nimrod MR2, XV250 will be flown from RAF Kinloss into Elvington on April 13th where it will be maintained in full ground operational capacity as a 'live' aircraft.

From now XV250 will be part of the Museum's world class collection, alongside the huge Victor V-Bomber and Buccaneer Strike aircraft and will stand as a permanent tribute to the 14 British servicemen killed in Afghanistan when Nimrod XV 230 crashed at Kandahar on 2nd September 2006.

The multi million pound Nimrod was developed from the Comet, itself a revolutionary design which was the world's first jet airliner. Much of the development for the Nimrod was undertaken at BAe Systems at Brough, East Yorkshire, giving the aircraft a special local connection.

Nimrod, the 'mighty hunter' is found in the Book of Genesis, and for over 30 years the aircraft has continued to play an exceptional role in the defence of the British Isles and support in other operational theatres. The 'submarine hunting' role has developed into strategic military intelligence gathering, utilising state of the art equipment. The Nimrod MR2 has been described as the world's largest fighter, with the capability to carry Sidewinder air to air missiles!

Museum Director, Ian Reed said, "We have been working closely with our colleagues in the RAF for over a year on this project and are delighted at the confirmation announced today. Yorkshire Air Museum is probably the only major Museum in Europe capable of operating large jets of this type and in this way. It is also very appropriate that, as the Allied Air Forces Memorial, we are able to make a significant contribution to the memory of those servicemen in Afghanistan and Iraq who have lost their lives and those who daily risk their lives in the service of our country".

Nimrod MR2 XV250 seen lifting off from its home base RAF Kinloss 9th March 2010.

Everyone is more than welcome to come along to the museum and witness the arrival of the Mighty Hunter and at the same time admire the many other exhibits and aircraft on display at this excellent museum.

Elvington To Recieve a Nimrod - Britmodeller.com (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46475&hl=)

Diablo Rouge
27th Mar 2010, 08:15
Is one going to Cosford? A 'Cold War Museum' without one would be unthinkable. Though it may mean the end for the resident Comet which would be disappointing.

KonfusedofKinloss
27th Mar 2010, 08:24
Believe one is Cosford bound:ok:

getsometimein
27th Mar 2010, 08:37
"Fast ground runs"

That alone sounds like an awesome idea, nothing like the noise and rumble of the hunter powering down the runway!

scarecrow450
27th Mar 2010, 10:55
One is due for Cosford, via Shawbury's runway. Details tbn

Treble one
27th Mar 2010, 13:41
I'm sure the powers that be could find a suitable spot for a Nimrod in AirSpace at IWM Duxford? It would look very nice alongside the Shackleton and Victor (and Comet, of course)

I don't know the runway length minima required for a Nimrod, but they got a B-52 in.......

MAN777
27th Mar 2010, 13:53
I Heard Manchester airport viewing park is getting one, wont be live though, its having its engines removed and then towed through a hole in the fence !!

Green Flash
27th Mar 2010, 14:15
Is there a list of final disposal locations for the MR2's? I had heard one to Duxford, one to East Fortune and the front half of one to Inverness. I assume Williamsons yard will be busy too?

Duncan D'Sorderlee
27th Mar 2010, 15:55
I'm not sure if there is an 'official' list as yet; however, East Fortune is way too small - 450m! I'm also fairly certain that Duxford doesn't want one.

Duncs:ok:

Krystal n chips
27th Mar 2010, 16:47
Nice though it will be to see a Nimrod at Cosford....and a wholly deserved resting place given it's significance over the years....the logistics of getting it there will be "interesting" I feel, notably if it goes to Shawbury first and is then segmented for transportation by road.

I'm not a Nimrod engineer..the only time I touched the beast was to strip down XV246 at Waddo prior to it's transportation by air to Woodford....however....as we stripped it to the bare bones, cut the wings off ( literally ) there was still an awful lot left to move. The main spar is a very solid bit of kit for a start, as are the two spars in the fin...plus the height of these spars on a low loader would make life "interesting" to say the least with the rail bridge at Cosford as will the length of the fuselage..unless it gets chopped up into easy chunks and spliced together again later....but even that will require some serious engineering.

I have no idea as to the short field performance of a Nimrod...with regard to Cosfords equally short runway...but in it's time it has taken a B707 / VC10 ( albeit both have four T/R's rather than two and were on a one way trip )and a C-17 which duly departed again, so I am curious as to why it may not be possible, and, on the surface at least, considerably easier to fly the beast in..... in contrast to what will be a major logistical and engineering excercise.

Still be nice to see one there however....:ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
27th Mar 2010, 17:04
Cosford's LDA is outside the scheduled performance data available for the MR2. I suspect that it is unlikely that a Nimrod will land there.

Skittles
27th Mar 2010, 17:08
I'm sure there was talk about Newark getting one.

thunderbird7
27th Mar 2010, 17:10
Are you still playing the blues (brothers) skittles??

Skittles
27th Mar 2010, 17:15
Thunderbird I suspect you have mistaken me for someone else! Either that or you're making some obscure reference to the point that I havn't the foggiest what you're talking about!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
27th Mar 2010, 17:19
If Newark is getting a jet, it will probably be an R1.

minigundiplomat
27th Mar 2010, 17:30
Would have thought the South Korean Navy might be in the market for an ASW platform.

SWBKCB
27th Mar 2010, 18:00
From the Solway Aviation Museum website.

The Museum have been offered an RAF Nimrod complete, for display at Carlisle. The aircraft would be a MK2, they are currently being decommissioned by a team at RAF Kinloss. There is no doubt that this would be a significant acquisition for the Museum and the North West as we were one of only three Museums to have been offered an aircraft complete. The main factors involved in choosing our Museum was our record in aircraft preservation despite the fact that we have no hangers, and direct access to a suitable runway. The decommissioning team at Kinloss were impressed by the repair state of our Vulcan, 27 years outside, and our Meteor, 35 years outside and were happy to deliver the aircraft to our safekeeping. The Nimrod would be a rare exhibit of an aircraft that can count the De-Havilland Comet Airliner as its direct ancestor and would explain to visitors the use of the different electronic systems on board the aircraft and their varied use from detecting submarines, sea rescue work to anti-terrorism surveillance.

We hope that we can persuade Stobarts to allow this historic and significant British aircraft to join our collection.

Diablo Rouge
27th Mar 2010, 18:40
Ref: Nimrod v Cosford & LDA.

Is there not potential authorisation for a min crew (3?), min fuel, stripped out airframe to make a landing in ideal weather* conditions outside normal RTS limitations?

*Having positioned initially at Shawbury waiting for said ideal weather conditions, and/or stripped(unladen) by the MU staff.

I am sure that Paddy L in his day could have put a Nimrod on the piano keys and stopped her in time, and the logistics of borrowing a few fire engines to provide Cat 5 are far easier then butchering an aeroplane and then fixing it.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
27th Mar 2010, 18:45
DR,

I don't think that there is any concern with stopping in time at Cosford - how many Nimrods have touched down at the Spanish Road:E

Nowadays, however, that's not enough.

I doubt anyone will give clearance to operate outside the RTS.

KonfusedofKinloss
8th Apr 2010, 18:21
AFAIK

Elvington next week.
Coventry
Manchester
Bruntingthorp

Possibles
Cosford (Landing distance prob)
Carlisle

ZH875
8th Apr 2010, 18:37
The main spar is a very solid bit of kit for a start, as are the two spars in the fin...plus the height of these spars on a low loader would make life "interesting" to say the least with the rail bridge at Cosford as will the length of the fuselage.

The height of the railway bridge is not a problem, Just divert the low loader through RAF Cosford main camp, out through the gate at the top, and across the bridge to the airfield top gate. :ok:

It has been done before...........

..........but the top railway bridge has one heck of a hump, and the low loader grounded......:O

izzyshore
8th Apr 2010, 20:07
Good to know the billions spent on MRA4 haven't been put to waste now that the country will get a scattering of MR2 statues.

Tiger_mate
8th Apr 2010, 23:01
You can get to the museum easy enough without passing beneath the railway bridge. (although width on the bridge over the railway could become an issue)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Apr 2010, 09:56
Interesting that a Vulcan MK1 (XA900) was flown on to Cosford’s grass runway 46 years ago. Much later, a MK2 (XM598) was flown on to the current runway. There again, a Nimrod doesn’t have a bloody big braking parachute and barn door air brakes..

We must remember that every Nimrod (apart from the prototype) flown started life via a road trailer between Hawarden and Woodford. Additionally, if a Victor MK2 can be moved by road fom Shawbury to Cosford, surely a Nimrod can’t be that difficult.

cornish-stormrider
9th Apr 2010, 10:17
I like the "gut the damn thing and find me three brave midgits to crew it" approach - land hard and short on the keys and stoof the brakes thru the floor, if it looks like it's going wrong cop a fist of handbrake and aim at the swo:E.

then off to the bar for tea and medals. I'll do it. The AF would be interesting - square tyres etc

Green Flash
9th Apr 2010, 10:33
Cornish

I think that was the modus operandi when they jammed the Vulcan into Catterick! Gut it, weld the legs down, stream the brake parachute and max flaps before crossing the A1, fry the brakes and pray you don't get wet! My uncle was one of the traffic cops who stopped the traffic on the A1 on the day in question and was quite convinced that the mainwheels brushed the hedge on the western side of the road.:eek: An awesome arrival.:ok:

Rocket2
9th Apr 2010, 11:58
I hate to be picky GF, but honestly flaps on a tin triangle? I think not old chap:sad:

ZH875
9th Apr 2010, 12:44
Cornish

I think that was the modus operandi when they jammed the Vulcan into Catterick! Gut it, weld the legs down, stream the brake parachute and max flaps before crossing the A1, fry the brakes and pray you don't get wet! My uncle was one of the traffic cops who stopped the traffic on the A1 on the day in question and was quite convinced that the mainwheels brushed the hedge on the western side of the road.:eek: An awesome arrival.:ok:

Good story, but false.

As a member of the 50(B)Sqn see off team for the Catterick aircraft, there was no welding of the undecarriage, and most, if not all, the bits were on board, and IIRC, the aircraft landed early, and the Police were too late to stop the traffic on the A1, (the traffic seemed to stop itself ok).

Good brakes, dragbag and aerodynamics, with a bit of help from the crew took her in safely.

RIP XL321 'Rusty Bin'

FATTER GATOR
9th Apr 2010, 13:17
Isn't that how you normally land mate ;)?!

I reckon even you could find Cosford, so I'll just stand (not next to the SWO) and watch the fun.

FG

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Apr 2010, 13:48
Not sure what izzyshore is getting at. Now that the MR2 is out of service, what does he/she think that we should have done with them? Personally, I think having them in an aviation museum is a grand idea.

SCAFITE
9th Apr 2010, 14:53
The Nimrod is arriving at 10.30 am on Tuesday 13 Apr 2010

Check with Yorkshire Air Museum for conformation

cornish-stormrider
9th Apr 2010, 14:56
Fatter - my normal approach is a late commit to a far larger wave than I'd like, pop, get the beast trimmed up, bank left and slide down the wave while scuttling fora'd. Use body boarders to slow me down in preparation for one of my patented "sniper" bails while kicking the board at a lifeguard:8

It's surfing but I think the analogy compares - anyhoo you didn't ever let me loose in a chippy or glider in the 90's did you???

Or have the tales of legendaryness travelled farther than I'd thought??

I mean be fair, there can't be many stories of 120 stone gorillas with 0 % coordination let loose in aircraft

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Apr 2010, 16:22
SCAFITE,

I reckon that it might be nearer 1100.;)

JagRigger
9th Apr 2010, 16:46
OK - an MR2 is somewhat heavier, but didn't a Comet land at Halton ?

How short is their grass 'runway' ?

RumPunch
9th Apr 2010, 20:48
Sometimes in the sunny place in the middle east that the airport is at , it was not uncommon for the crews to hard brake to make the first turn left off the runway to avoid the long taxi thus making it back to bar in time for last orders :)

Much to many cursory words from us groundies. Good days sadly missed now

Easy Street
9th Apr 2010, 22:36
Maybe they were trying to avoid the long taxy back to minimise tyre bead heating and the resulting deterioration in tyre condition? Don't be so quick to think ill of them!

RumPunch
10th Apr 2010, 02:41
[quote]Maybe they were trying to avoid the long taxy back to minimise tyre bead heating and the resulting deterioration in tyre condition? Don't be so quick to think ill of them![/quote/

Typical Sgt Aircrew , the LAC of the sky

Duncan D'Sorderlee
10th Apr 2010, 09:36
Cornish,

Someone appears to have read your post! Cosford may be back on the agenda. Does anyone where we can find another 2 midgets?

zedder
10th Apr 2010, 09:59
What's Chucky doing these days? You might even be able to make it 3 Ginga midgets!;)

Not that I'm implying you're a Ginga midget Duncs; or am I!!!

TheSmiter
10th Apr 2010, 10:25
Rum Punch

Sometimes in the sunny place in the middle east that the airport is at , it was not uncommon for the crews to hard brake to make the first turn left off the runway to avoid the long taxi thus making it back to bar in time for last orders http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mate, I think you've had too many Caribbean Cocktails :cool:

To achieve what you suggest, would have involved either a. several methods of retardation not fitted to Norman or b. touchdown opposite the Carrefour pretty much on top of the baisie bus queue near the clock tower.

Neither would warrant busting a gut for last orders at the Duck. If you knew the right people Rum me old mucka, trust me it wasn't an issue :ok:

For old times sake, the ususal routine for a 08 arrival was: Turn off at C, past the glossy 777's and Airbus thingys then cross at D for the ramp. That was about the best you could hope for, although once we were offered a "180 backtrack or turn off at C, your choice" Experienced P1 (who liked a bit of fisticuffs! :ouch:) thought he'd go for the easy option 180 and made a valiant attempt at blacking the r/w despite the Experienced Eng (who liked a bit of rugger) providing polite advice that it wasn't a very good decision. Common sense prevailed, Eng's advice was taken, and we moved gingerly away from the edge of the r/w and a sandy grave, to come off at C which was a GOOD idea! After the sortie debrief, Eng and P1 locked themselves in a room and and were heard to be discussing either rugby or Cambridge boating practices. Several people were convinced they were talking about a punt or something. All very strange:confused:

The rest of us just retired to the previously mentioned bar and sank a few wets.

Dob life - dontcha just miss it?

PS Rum, you can say

Typical Sgt Aircrew , the LAC of the sky if you like, it's a free country.

Just be aware, they may be thick but they've got long memories! Last pilot who said just the same thing (in the 80's) was constantly offered Baldrick style cappuccino's and sandwiches with interesting fillings.

He didn't last long. Mind you he was a one eyed ex Jag mate, so could be forgiven for having a chip.

TaRa

cornish-stormrider
10th Apr 2010, 16:01
I'd volunteer but midgit is well out of the equation - I know this coz I now have to wear overalls the same size as Pav - and he was a right fat knacker!

(not that I'd ever wear something of Pav's you understand. I just remember him smacking me for my sarky comments about the size of his overalls - something about did the rocks know he had nicked a 9x9 for his work clothes)

still, if you can get midgits, gingewer piddle stinkers x3 to fly it they should be able to pull it off. Chips on shoulders and points to prove etc.

Like to see pics please

circle kay
10th Apr 2010, 18:22
Meanwhile, over on history-nostalgia.... XV232 will be sent to Coventry

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/411553-classic-flight-sets-its-sights-nimrod.html

cornish-stormrider
14th Apr 2010, 11:01
send one to Newquay - man it with voluteers and equip it purely for sar.

And don't tell the gub'mint

£20 please.

Non Emmett
14th Apr 2010, 20:03
Good point Storm Rider, though Cornwall Council is probably soon going to be so financially strapped they'd probably want to sell it. Put it across t'other side of the airfield to RAF St. Mawgan and let the Cornish Aviation Society look after it. They continue to do a marvellous job looking after the Shack and have done for around twenty years.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Apr 2010, 20:12
If they want one, they only have to ask.

Mighty Norman
14th Apr 2010, 22:31
I hear Jacksonville might need one???!

NutLoose
15th Apr 2010, 14:21
East Midlands is getting an R1

Aeropark to get Nimrod R1
The Aeropark has been in discussions with the RAF with a view to acquiring a Nimrod and it has now been confirmed that a Nimrod R1 has been allocated to the Aeropark.
The Nimrod R1's are operated by 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington and their role is reconnaissance and gathering electronic intelligence.
There are three Nimrod R1's operated by 51 Sqdn one was taken out of service in 2009 and the remaining two will be in service until 2011 after which one will come to the Aeropark.
We now need to raise funds for this to happen, with the exception of the Air Ambulance day all of our events will be in aid of the Nimrod Fund and if anyone wishes to make a donation then please get in touch or visit us at the Aeropark.

Official web site of the East Midlands Aeropark (http://www.eastmidlandsaeropark.org/)

RAF_Techie101
19th Apr 2010, 16:43
Can anyone confirm if manchester's aircraft will still be flying in tommorrow afternnon...?

Duncan D'Sorderlee
19th Apr 2010, 17:01
No. No-one can confirm or deny. If it can, I'm sure that it will.

Duncs.:ok:

RAF_Techie101
19th Apr 2010, 19:21
Lovely... Well it's only an hour or so to manchester Airport and it'll be nice to see one instead of those sodding Tristars i've been stuck on lately...:ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
20th Apr 2010, 13:20
No Nimrod today. Too much volcanic ash between ISK and Manchester.

crackling jet
20th Apr 2010, 16:32
God reading this has brought back some memories regarding Green Flashes comments on the Vulcan going into Catterick, i was actually part of the crash crew that day, biggest crash line the RAF had ever seen every man and his dog was on a crash truck and then again about nine months later i was on a promotion course and we burnt the first Vulcan at Catterick as featured in the Sunday telegraph that weekend, good fun both on occasions, except seeing a Vulcan disapear in smoke and flames.

CF Staff
21st Apr 2010, 13:53
I believe the above is due at Manchester about 1530 this afternoon for display at the Aviation viewing park. with a Trident Bae146 Concord and now a Nimrod its getting to be quite a good collection of British aircraft

1.3VStall
21st Apr 2010, 14:23
CF,

It's not a 146, it's an RJX - the last product of a once proud British civil airliner manufcturing industry.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
22nd Apr 2010, 18:53
XV231 is now safely in the care of Manchester Airport Aviation Viewing Park.

MAN777
24th Apr 2010, 08:03
Not quite true the Manchester Nimrod is parked on a remote stand awaiting de commissioning, some suggestion that engines maybe removed ??

It will remain there until they figure out how to get it into the AVP, likely that it will be towed over matting through a hole in the fence.

When ??

Picture of it arriving on TAS website home page

www.tasmanchester.co.uk

Duncan D'Sorderlee
24th Apr 2010, 09:04
I didn't say it was parked at the viewing area; I said that it was in their care.:E

It is being 'decommissioned' by a team of groundcrew from ISK. It is then going to be moved to the viewing area in about a month and available to view by late summer - I think.

Some nice photos!:ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Apr 2010, 21:25
XV226 was delivered to Bruntingthorpe yesterday.

RumPunch
29th Apr 2010, 22:58
Is there any truth in John Travolta wanting one ? its been mentioned but its the best Ive heard yet

On_The_Top_Bunk
29th Apr 2010, 23:22
Is there any truth in John Travolta wanting one ? its been mentioned but its the best Ive heard yet

What on earth would he want one for? Be serious.

kb661
30th Apr 2010, 13:59
Roxy,
Another good effort for another good home. The photos were on the www in double quick time!

With a wee bit of thread creep, and due to my old thread being closed, I would like to make a final appeal to anytone who would like a Nimrod MR2 OSD magazine. The final day I will be posting the mags is Fri 21 May. If you would like one please get the cheque to me by Wed 19 May.

If you need the address please look on the old thread.

Sorry for the interuption.

Keith

Frustrated....
30th Apr 2010, 16:26
It's magic that all these establishments are getting MR2s and planning to keep them running, even if only on the ground.

I wonder how much they could rent them back to the MOD if/when MRA4 gets cancelled.

It all seems too quiet on the topic of MRA4, has anyone got any news?

Frustrated....

Hoots
30th Apr 2010, 17:52
Seems like a waste of a perfectly good aircraft, guess I know what party I wont be voting for next week.

But at least gone to good homes, although I understand two still up for grabs to good homes also. Low mileage, FSH, delivered to the airfield.

Prefer to see them given a home rather than scrapped.

Willy Miller
3rd May 2010, 19:38
more thread creep, facebook has a group 'I ate pies on the mighty hunter'
for all ex/current nimrod crews

regards

wm

:ok:

mmitch
4th May 2010, 10:07
I have read that a R1 is to go to IWM Duxford next year. The runway there is 1199m. Cambridge is 6,500m (nearly!) Or perhaps a RAF base?Which would be the likely route?

aw ditor
5th May 2010, 08:35
Cambridge 6500 Metres?!?

mmitch
5th May 2010, 09:24
Apologies. :rolleyes: 1,965m/ 6,447ft runway
mmitch.

NutLoose
5th May 2010, 11:25
One R1 is going to East Midlands Aeropark

see

Official web site of the East Midlands Aeropark (http://www.eastmidlandsaeropark.org/)

Aeropark to get Nimrod R1
The Aeropark has been in discussions with the RAF with a view to acquiring a Nimrod and it has now been confirmed that a Nimrod R1 has been allocated to the Aeropark.
The Nimrod R1's are operated by 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington and their role is reconnaissance and gathering electronic intelligence.
There are three Nimrod R1's operated by 51 Sqdn one was taken out of service in 2009 and the remaining two will be in service until 2011 after which one will come to the Aeropark.

Wander00
5th May 2010, 12:22
Mitch - at that length must be the M11, not the runway!

Getting my coat!

pipistrelle
6th May 2010, 09:05
Custom shed??

betty swallox
12th May 2010, 16:21
Nice video of XV232 landing at Coventry yesterday. Worth a look. Haven't posted the link as I'm a biff. Just google "YouTube Nimrod Coventry". Nice one, chaps!

c130jtechie
12th May 2010, 20:10
Nice to see the Nimrods are being preserved, what about the C13Oks?, surely at least one of those remaining should go to a museum especially as we had a lot more Alberts than Nimmys.

RumPunch
12th May 2010, 21:49
Heard something today that XV229 is heading to Manston for fire training. :{

28th of May cut of date , surely they can find a better home than to get cut up and burned by a bunch of string vested volleyball players :(

Duncan D'Sorderlee
13th May 2010, 16:22
The Manston jet is not going to be cut up. It is to be used for other 'stuff'. Not sure what - smoke and fumes; evac?

kb661
14th May 2010, 15:23
Over 40 Nimrods on maritime patrol at one point!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
24th May 2010, 22:21
Another one bites the dust!

One more Nimrod disposed of; XV255 departed ISK en route Norwich Airport today at 1345. Landed about an hour later. Just one left.

RAF_Techie101
24th May 2010, 22:38
BBC - Tour of the Nimrod at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire (http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leicester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8696000/8696849.stm)

Luckily I wasn't caught on camera...

WB72
25th May 2010, 01:00
Re the short landings at "That obvious airbase in the M.E." that the world and Google Earth know about,

Which was all very funny for the aircrew until the brakes burst into flames after they had been warned.....

And yes sgt aircrew are LAC's of the air especially the one on my Guard training course the other week who looked 12 and spouted Sh**e about 54 going off for conversion..

honeysweetcombe
26th May 2010, 09:49
Nimrod due into MSE today around 12:00, she will spend time airside during decommisioning, then be towed over to the WASP where she will spend some time in the company of a B747 and a DC8. The short trip across to the fire ground will take place around the end of June.

She should remain whole because the use of actual aircraft frames for burning is frowned upon nowadays.:=

QTRZulu
26th May 2010, 15:09
It was sad to see her depart her spititual home just after 1200 today.

One last graceful flypast and very sadly gone.:sad:

TheSmiter
26th May 2010, 22:40
So she's finally gone.

One of the saddest days of my life and a big lump in the throat when Roxy powered over the tower, heading south. So long good buddy, thanks for all the good times.

Thanks too to our Luftwaffe friends in their shiny Tiffy's who provided the supporting act. Great show guys.

How times change - Chief Eng heard to mutter something about Spitfires in the 6 o'clock as they flew over. :rolleyes:

stbd beam
27th May 2010, 09:54
..... ditto ....

Hoots
29th May 2010, 12:04
A very sad day. A premature retirement with the MR2, sadly the world has lost the premier MPA, so capable at so many tasks and its seviceability in its latter weeks and months was fantastic. Well done to NLS.