PDA

View Full Version : To Medical or Not To Medical

copywrite33
26th Mar 2010, 17:49
Evening all,

Ok so i have a bit of a dilemma and can't decide on what to do, hoping you all will be able to help!

I have an assessment day and interview for the Flybe/PTCi sponsored scheme at the end of April.

I can't decide whether to get my medical done before or after, my reasons being:
1. If i get the medical before and fail on something then i am only losing the £300ish pounds and will know then and there that my choosen career path is dead to me.
2. If i pass the assessment and interview and then fail my medical i will be absolutely destroyed.
3. If i pass the medical then fail the assessments i have a piece of paper for 2 years that cost £300.

:ugh:

Anybody had the same problem anyone got any suggestions on what to do?

Happy Landings.

Mods: Not sure if this should be in here or Medical Forum so will leave it for you to decide!

irishpilot1990
26th Mar 2010, 18:05
eh am i missing something here???sorry if i am!!

Looks like the flybe thing is free/invite assesment or something?

Do the assesment..which wont cost you 300 pounds...if you pass do your medical!!obvious really!!!!but dont invest a pound in flying an aircraft or taking actual exams towards a license untill medical complete!

On other hand maybe flybe require you to have medical before the take you seriously?!that is only reason you may need it.

Also just to add....i imagine with way things are everyones looking for such schemes so lots of competition...so dont spend 300 untill you pass...because if you dont get accepted, you dont want to be in industy for next 2 years anyway.

blueplume
26th Mar 2010, 18:09
Do your medical. Without it you definitely will not fly anything. If there is an insurmountable problem you will find out before you spend any more (much more than the cost of the medical). Once you have passed your medical you will a: feel better about it knowing that you have no medical issues that will prevent you from obtaining and using your licence and b: it shows commitment to the cause. Any prospective employer will look fabourably on you. Even if your training is sponsored by a company you will be expected to show that you are able to meet CAA medical requirements before they invest in you, for the same reasons given above when considering investing in yourself.

Don't worry about the cost, it's unavoidable. And please don't be destroyed, it isn't the end of the world even if you find out that you can't do it. Sounds to me as if you won't have a problem if you don't know about it already.

copywrite33
26th Mar 2010, 18:21
Looks like the flybe thing is free/invite assesment or something?

It is a normal assessment so have paid an assessment fee.

Blueplume - thanks for your input, food for thought!

irishpilot1990
26th Mar 2010, 18:25
Ok i didnt realise they charge for the assesment with flybe...(thought that was just big bad ryanair).

Ya mate I would defo get medical done just encase..and it will show commitment!

copywrite33
26th Mar 2010, 18:35
Im not paying Flybe for the assessment i am paying PTCi for the assessment, in much the same way you pay for the assessment at Oxford, Cabair etc. I believe that is right?

The only difference is if impress in my interview and test then i am put forward to the next round with Flybe for the part sponsorship.

Think i will get the Medical done, seems to make a bit more sense, just needed some reassurance and you guys have provided.

Thanks

Although am still interested to hear from anyone with a differing opinion.

CW33

WELCO
27th Mar 2010, 11:07
Here are some suggestions.

1. Eliminate your fears by doing the medicals now.

2. It should not be difficult to ask Flybe if they will require you to have your class 1 medical before proceeding to a certain point of the assessment. If they answer with "yes" then you have already done it. If otherwise, no harm.

3. Doing the medicals might be a good boost to your enthusiasm towards your aviation career. Whether it would be for Flybe assessment or for any other future plans to start your training elsewhere, you might be cutting corners by having your medical certificate in your folder. You have nothing to lose except the 300 quids as you have said.

4. There is no gentle way to say "Failed". Be ready to face challenges and to accept the consequences. Life is full of these challenges of which we are not supposed to get through them all with glory. Don't let yourself be deep-seated in the far end of your room if you don't pass the assessment or the medicals. Be prepared with "plan B" in either cases, and execute it with no delays to stop yourself from looking back at things with negativity.

Good luck.

copywrite33
27th Mar 2010, 11:40
WELCO:

Thanks very much for that reply.

Am going to take all your suggestions on board and book my Medical on monday.

I have my Plan B - The degree i will be finishing this summer, it will provide me with a good job and a good lifestyle but at the moment my heart is set on flying and until someone can tell me definitively that i will never fly professionally i am holding on to that hope. Im not going to be silly about it and go and waste 100k on an integrated course, especially the way the industry is at the moment, if i don't get a sponsorship/cadet scheme (i know the odds are against me on this) then i will finish my degree and take the modular route saving for each stage as i go.

Thats assuming i pass my medical of course but don't think i have anything to fear!

All the best

CW33