PDA

View Full Version : Perforated Ear Drum and Class One?

VFE
24th Mar 2001, 18:28
Hi folks,
Does anyone out there know if it is possible to renew a class 1 medical having suffered a small perforated ear drum?

If anyone knows then please let me know!

Thanks, VFE.

Bird Strike
24th Mar 2001, 20:29
I may have heard about a non-JAA medical, but I understand that it does not cause any problem with renewing the medical as long as it has healed and has not affected your hearing and has not weakened the ear drum substantially.

If you're worried, the best thing is to ring the CAA Medical people.

VFE
25th Mar 2001, 01:34
Thanks Bird Strike, I plan to contact them on Monday. My GP says that it should heal up perfectly OK as it was just a small pin-prick perforation.

VFE.

Carbon Life Form
27th Mar 2001, 06:37
I had a perforated ear drum several years ago
and questioned my doctor about flying.He said
no problem < it actually makes equalizing
any pressure problem easier>

True enough I had no problems, might be worth taking an antibiotic though, just as a precaution against infection, oh, and try not
to get it wet.

NewVSO
1st Apr 2001, 23:31
Had perforation after diving.Left me with a constant high pitched whistle & slightly reduced efficiency of the left ear at high frequency.After 8 months was off work for 3 months with damaged tendon so decided to have a course of treatment at local spa. 15 sessions with nose washes, tube up nose to slightly pressurise the inner ear & clear any residual fluid etc. They found very slight septal deviation on the side of the perforated ear which was never commented on at initial medical 25 years ago.This cured the whistle & all is back to normal.
Good luck.