PDA

View Full Version : Embolisms

Speedy G
21st Mar 2001, 14:09
I have heard and read a lot of hipe about passengers suffering from embolisms due to long flights. However, surely this risk extends to pilots aswell. I have heard that you should take an asprin before flying for a long preiod of time as a passenger but would this be a good idea as a pilot to, or does it have a side affect that the CAA wouldn't like? If not what else can one do as a pilot to lessen the risk of embolisms?

Cheers

Speed

GJB
21st Mar 2001, 14:31
Quiet an interesting point, but the seats for flight crew are far more supportive than the rubbish that economy pax sit in.

I have seen pilots move their seats back, during the cruise, to stretch their legs out.

Princess PP
21st Mar 2001, 15:02
You must do a search for this topic (DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis), I read a really long thread about this a while back.

There were quite a few well informed people discussing it, even people who had done medical research on Asprin use (Pandora I think) it was very good. Haven't got the time to find it for you, sorry.

Apparently Pilots have died from this, if I remember rightly.

Too much asprin rots your stomach lining away, so not a good long term solution. Drink plenty water, exercise your lower limbs regularly, even "fidget" your legs whilst sitting.

[This message has been edited by Princess PP (edited 21 March 2001).]

Boeing Freak
22nd Mar 2001, 00:44
Stomach problems are caused by taking too much aspirin. Normal tablets are 300mg. Only 75mg is needed to have an effect on the blood. A lot of people simply cant be bothered to break tablets into quarters!

BF

PS I was informed of the above by a consultant heamatologist

ronchonner
22nd Mar 2001, 00:56
the CAA and JAA should organise a course to fight "embolism". Why not a minum course of 250 h ground school.yep,once again, you will have to pay!...

this is RIDICULOUS!
who care if one person is dead on the billion of passenger each year.I know a guy who died after sliping on a banana in my street, are we going to do all this bla bla just for that?

why not built a fitness room in each plane???or a swimming pool!!!

EGDR
22nd Mar 2001, 01:08
Oh I quite agree RONCHONNER who gives a toss about just another passenger death.

I would'nt care if one fellow Ppruner who has no concept of grammer or spelling suddenly snuffed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDDNR
22nd Mar 2001, 03:44
Boeing Freak - you don't need to break them up. All the drug stores in the US sell 81mg "low strength" aspirin, usually in a slow dissolve coating which are perfect for in flight use.

Rod

BJF
22nd Mar 2001, 15:50
Ronchonner or what ever your name is. I have seen you pop up on a lot of discussions on this forum and not once have you had any thing remotely constructive to say. Isn't it about time that you ran along and played with the other little boys on your street and stopped messing with Daddies computer. There's a good chap.

BJF

ickle black box
22nd Mar 2001, 15:58
It may be one passenger in many, but the airline has a duty of care over you while on board. In the US especially, there are very expensive lawsuits, running into 10's of million dollars, when these sort of duties are broken. The airlines cannot afford to take this attitue, financially, let alone morally.

ickle

------------------
If God had meant man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Superfly
22nd Mar 2001, 16:14
Can anyone advise on whether you can prevent embolism by simply keeping fit ? which a minimum required for pilots anyway .....
I know there are different views for what fit is, but doing sport twice - 3 times a week should do it , shouldn't it ?

Happy landings, Superfly

GJB
22nd Mar 2001, 16:33
Avoiding alcohol and drinking water before, during and after a long flight is a sensible precaution.

Not that the flight crew should be supping G's& T's along the way ;)

Mike Tango
22nd Mar 2001, 19:54
Ronchonner,
try to say that in an interview .. I assume you have to go back to the Air Law notes and learn more about responsibilty. How would you feel as a passenger or even as a co-pilot if the pilot in command wouldnt give a toss about you..? That is why many of us Wannabes are winging in here that they have "this rating, that many hours, trainned in the best school" and still dont have a flying job. There is a philosophy behind everything, but it seems to me that you,ve never heard of it. I am still PPL student with not much experience, but this is not the right attitude..I dont think.!!

Appologies to the native english speakers for any mistakes..I am Greek. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Boeing Freak
22nd Mar 2001, 23:30
EDDNR,

cheers for the info. Will look into it

Trislander
23rd Mar 2001, 03:01
Yeah, Asprins can cause stomach ulcers if you take them too regularly.

Watch out!

Tri

ronchonner
23rd Mar 2001, 05:14
well guys, let me answer?
if you die on your sit, who is guilty, you or your doctor?I think we have paid a lot to pass their JAR medical first class test, so you do nt have to worry.
instead to worry of your passenger, you should worry about you, about to get a job and stop to pay all these crapy flying schools.Apparently you would accept to follow a new JAR course again "embolism"!
when are we going to be unified and say:"enough!!!we are sick of all these tests"

no offense,ok?

finals40
23rd Mar 2001, 17:43
These are the real facts on DVT:

A DVT is simply a clot in the venous circulation of the lower limb which MAY give rise to its most fatal complication that of a pulmonary embolism where by the clot blocks off the blood supply to the lungs giving rise to breathlessness...etc. But one must remeber that 65% of all DVTs never end up like this they are simply taken care by the body and never advance to the above stage. The risk groups for DVT:

Post operative patients
Old age
Obesity
The pill
Immobility-chronic

Personally I dont believe you all should get worried by it. The most simplest way to avoid DVT on a long haul flight is to take regular walks if possible or elevate and depress the ankle joint so that you are working the calf muscles....do this often as it aids stagnent bllod flow from the lower limb which may clot, back to the heart. I hope this is of use to you all.

combi pilot
23rd Mar 2001, 21:13
Thanks finals40, that's useful advice now that DVT is the next big thing to worry the pants off most pax. How simple..take a walk!

ronchonner
24th Mar 2001, 04:59
hein , you see i was right...not a big deal with your"embolism"!

ronchonner is not so stupid! remember he s ATP!! (AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT, yes you read right!)
gat you ATP fist before to write stupid comments.
no offence, ok?

caqtas air
24th Mar 2001, 16:12
Easy boys, down here in OZ we don't have much of a problem, what with the heat and all that, you simply don't allow any blood into your alcohol stream, who ever heard of alcohol clotting.... easy....

Bon Giorno
24th Mar 2001, 17:30
Right on caqtas - when I gave blood to the Red Cross last week they reckoned I was VB positive.

LewTon
25th Mar 2001, 03:02
Right on, Finals40, but don't forget neoplasia and polycythaemia/thombocythaemia. I agree that maintaining a good level of hydration ,exercising the lower limb muscle groups and avoiding alcohol should be the first line of protection for both crew and passengers.
In todays litigous society I am afraid this issue is not going to go away even though it is probably an unavoidable risk of flying. Compare with road accidents - some risks have to be accepted

redsnail
27th Mar 2001, 18:06
Just recently did the Sydney-Bangkok-London flight. I was in economy and I had requested an exit row seat. Much more leg room. I also wore support stockings (knee high). I also did the exercises as recommended + went for a stroll every few hours. I kept the alcohol intake to a minimum and drank as much water as was possible.
The stockings aren't the most comfortable things on earth but I feel that they + the additional walking made all the difference in the world. Exit rows are good too (aisle or middle seats) as you can move at your leisure, you don't get trampled by someone climbing over you and you can stretch out.