PDA

View Full Version : Stress, Medication and Aviation Medicals?

Richard_L
26th Mar 2010, 10:25
Hello all,

I'm currently the holder of a Class 2 medical and should be working towards my PPL - save for the problem of helping to care for my ailing grandparents. I'm stressed up to the eyeballs with dealing with them - to the point that I'm considering going to talk to my GP about it.

However, I'm somewhat wary of going to the doctor given that a single inhaler (prescribed for a respiratory infection when I was 6) scuppered my chances of joining the RAF as a pilot.

Are there any medications or treatments that might be prescribed that would be detrimental to my chances of keeping the Class 2 or to the future award of a Class 1 medical? I don't want to destroy my chances of obtaining my one long term goal for the sake of some short term relief.

thanks,
R

Jarvy
26th Mar 2010, 11:59
St.Johns Wort available from health food shops works for me. As its a diet supplement not a drug its ok.

gingernut
26th Mar 2010, 19:33
Hi Richard, the short answer is if you go and talk to your GP about your feelings, then it will be recorded. The importance of this could be made to your GP at the outset.

This won't absolutely stop you from obtaining a medical, but if your GP deems your problem so severe that you need medication (eg antidepressants) then this will stop you flying. (Although previous posts would suggest that a medical can be obtained eventually on cessation of treatment.)

There is a fine line between what you term as "stress" and what your GP may diagnose as a mild mental illness (eg depression/anxiety). If he's got anything about him, he should be able to tease out the difference.Drugs (medication) isn't the only answer. As a prescriber, (I'm a nurse working in primary care), I wouldn't recommend St Johns Wort. If you do take it, then be aware it can interact with prescribed stuff.

On a side note, it does sound like you need a bit of support with your grandparents. Have you persued this? How are the statutory authorities helping? Would speaking to a social worker or community matron help? Sounds like you need a bit of repite from your duties-easy for me to say, but you 'aint gonna be much good to them if you flake. (And it sounds as if you may.)

Good luck, keep us informed.

Jarvy
26th Mar 2010, 20:37
From my side I discussed St. John's Wort with my GP off the record and he said it was ok. It was recommended to me my a trained therepist.

Robot1
26th Mar 2010, 22:32
Hi All

Not sure now things work in the UK, but i know the FAA consider St John's Wort to be a pyschoactive substance and treat it the same as antidepressants...ie no licence for users:(

Hope you feel better soon Rich,,,
Robot

gingernut
26th Mar 2010, 23:06
Quite interesting debates around St Johns Wort. It's likely to have an effect on depression, although it's not recommended for various reasons (including interactions, lack of a standard dose.)

'cos theres no money in it, there's no (or little) research.

The science starts on page 328.....http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/Depression_Update_FULL_GUIDELINE.pdf

homonculus
27th Mar 2010, 00:13
Sorry, St John's Wort is NOT a benign substance. We have had a lot of issues with it in intensive care and it crosses the blood brain barrier (ie enters the brain). I certainly wouldnt get in an aircraft if the pilot was on it.

But Gingernut really put his finger on the issue. If someone is stressed and has their mind on their grandparents or anything else, or is depressed, they simply shouldnt start flying. A PPL is a hobby so please do not fly and keep the air (and the people on the ground beneath it) safe for those of us who use it for a living. If you need couselling / to see your GP / to take drugs / to try substances that you think allow you to fly because they aren't on a list

STOP FLYING

Sorry to be harsh but I deal with 'stressed' doctors and they are a big enough risk on the ground.....

Richard_L
27th Mar 2010, 11:14
Don't worry, homonculus, I'm not flying at the moment and have no intention to until things are resolved. Everything PPL related is on hold for me. What I was most concerned about was screwing up my chances of being fit to fly in the future by being diagnosed or prescribed with something now that the CAA really aren't keen on - when alternatives that I don't know about may exist.

I consider myself to be stressed, definitely not depressed. I will try to make my GP aware of the damage that the "D" word would do if it were put on my medical records. I will make an appointment this week. I will mention the St John's Wort to them but I've rather been put off that by some of the replies on here already.

Gingernut, a major problem with my grandparents is that they refuse nearly all the help and advice they're offered. I'm trying to make sure they have as good a quality of life as possible to the end, and they seem to be wittingly or unwittingly doing everything they can to make it difficult and painful!

thanks
Richard

Hawk
28th Mar 2010, 09:44
Difficult and painful for you or them?

fernytickles
28th Mar 2010, 11:31
Just read this article and was thinking it might be useful for pilots generally.... Perhaps something from here might be handy for you?

BBC News - 'Therapy helped my mind and my work' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8586479.stm)

gingernut
28th Mar 2010, 11:46
I sympathise Richard, you're in a difficult situation, one I found common in my days as a district nurse. On one hand, as a carer, you want to do your best for your grandparents, (and it sounds like you are), but on the other, it does sound like you are reaching burnout.

It does sound like you are reaching the point where you need external support, whether this be home help, respite care, etc, (depending on the situation), and you may need to withdraw some of your input.

On the face of it, this may seem uncaring, but, as I hinted at earlier, it's not. (It's sometimes difficult to see the bigger picture when you are closely involved). Tou may have to be a bit strict about this. Or even better, the 3rd party eg social worker may have to be seen as "the bad guy" (They won't mind).:)

I urge you to tell someone how you are feeling about your committment,(as aside from the mental health issue) -I promise they would have heard a simillar story before- I'd suggest that your GP may be the firsr point of call to signpost you towards social services/matron/district nurse etc.

It's amazing how even a short intervention where you get a bit of Richard Time,or even the chance to have a bit of a moan, will help you feel better