PDA

View Full Version : C.17 TO-NIGHT CHANNEL 4 (Merged)

PPRuNe Pop
25th Mar 2010, 18:49
Heads up!

"AIR HOSPITAL" about a C17 that can be turned into a hospital on C4 at 21:00 to-night.

Faithless
25th Mar 2010, 21:53
Watching it now....Stunning....Massive amount of respect to all that make it happen and Great job 99 Sqn :ok:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Talk Reaction
25th Mar 2010, 22:04
An important program, showing the great work by medevac teams and some moving interviews with the guys paying the price. :D

Although 99 have managed to reinforce some stereotypes about multi crews... I mean, opening flt deck scene, lets moan about the menu, yes tea white one please loadie etc :ugh:, and pleased to hear that OC 99 is 'uncomfortable' about his SDS (not what I suppose he meant)

Spit the Dog
25th Mar 2010, 22:10
Great job '99', very moving and well overdue in-sight into this now regular route via Birmingham.

Faithless
25th Mar 2010, 22:12
T R stop being sooo picky.....to Joe Public it shows we all wave the same flag and no Crab/Pongo/Fish Head crap.......It's only obvious to us and I'm not going to pick fault.

Once again Well done Guys and Gals.:D

PPRuNe Pop
25th Mar 2010, 22:14
Utter unequivocal respect for the guys and girls looking out for our wounded.

Great programmer and very well done 99 Sqdn.

I would not wanna be that Afghan policeman when they get him!

VinRouge
25th Mar 2010, 22:15
TR,

If you had ever eaten a curry lasagne, you would have a reason to whine.

WTF were they thinking?

arem
25th Mar 2010, 22:21
Great program, but did I hear the commentator say that the beast could drop from 30000' to surface in 90sec!!!!!!

A second thought that the IA being discussed on another thread is more pathetic than ever, the poor dears having to work one down!

Spit the Dog
25th Mar 2010, 22:26
Nice to see Channel 4 promoted the 'Pickey' to Flt Sgt, at last someone has !

dreamies
25th Mar 2010, 22:30
The Chicken Tikka Lasagne he was talking about is actually quite nice. The salt contenet is really quite high though. Imagine the pilot asking for a cup of tea though. I mean that is really letting the side down.:ugh:
If that is all that you took away from that program TR then you really need to get out more. You made no mention of the wounded soldiers. That is what the programme was really about.

JTIDS
25th Mar 2010, 22:32
The beast can drop from 30,000 ft to the surface in 90 sec!

lexxity
25th Mar 2010, 22:36
Civvie popping in to say, what a programme, long over due. Massive, massive respect to 99 sqdrn and the guys and girls who go out and bring our troops home. I couldn't do it and I take my hat off to all invloved.

Firestorm
25th Mar 2010, 22:37
A really excellent programme. I hope some the 645 members of Parliament were watching that, especially the ones who have the responsibility for making sure that our armed forces are properly funded, and properly looked after in the field, on the job, and afterwards. I have seen the C17 on the ramp at Birmingham many times, but I had no idea what was going on inside. This is a film that matters. Well done to all involved, and to Channel 4 for making the programme.

StopStart
25th Mar 2010, 22:39
A very good prog and nice to see candid interviews with the people doing the job, be that the CCAST guys or 99 (good choice of spokesman there!).

Couldn't give a monkeys toss about 15 seconds of flightdeck blah about meals being edited in. Irrelevant but as usual nice to see Pprune thinks otherwise :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work TMW/CCAST and 99 :ok:

GLGNDB
25th Mar 2010, 22:40
I am not in the military, but have great admiration for the work that all our forces do.

For me there was two bits that stood out during the documentary.

The first was when the doctor was asked how soon they could be required to go back to Afghanistan. He quoted min rest as 24hrs, however he then went on to say if the situation demanded they would just grab the next set of kit available and go straight back. This exemplifies the can do attitude our forces are renowned for.

The second which I found most alarming was the number of medevac sorties flown last year.

TheSmiter
25th Mar 2010, 23:05
Very humbling programme and an excellent companion to the previous doc 'Wounded'. Should be mandatory viewing for all our ruling classes.

BZ to all on CCAST and 99. Total respect guys and gals.

To the airships, this is the sort of programme which shows the public how it is and demonstrates the close knit cameraderie and ethos of military life. In my humble opinion you can forget the expensive ad campaigns and spin.

Nice one Channel 4.

NutLoose
26th Mar 2010, 00:22
Finally a programme that goes some way to showing the public the real cost of the war, I have to say I cannot agree more with the comments reference Wotton Basset, Tragic though they are and I for one would love to see them as a distant memory, but they do tend to deflect and hide via the media the true costs of the conflict.......... Hats off and my admiration to all those involved in this vital role :D:D

MightyGem
26th Mar 2010, 01:43
Watching the Ch4 programme, at work tonight, the question arose as to whether the same flight crew does the whole trip, or are two crews carried?

Uncle Ginsters
26th Mar 2010, 06:45
It's usually the same crew, albeit an Augmented Crew (3xPilot, 2xALM).
Often right up to the 24hr duty limit, especially in Summer when a flagstop for fuel is needed.

francophile69
26th Mar 2010, 09:00
A pet hate of mine is the Union Flag being inverted. Twice last night it appeared on the C17 that way.
I am sure that there is no way it is really inverted but was intrigued as to how it could appear that way?

Not to belittle the programme in anyway, which I found very interesting. I have a relative at Headley so I do realise the reality of the situation.

Kouncil House Kid
26th Mar 2010, 09:55
Ahh, that old chestnut. RAF aircraft's Union Flags are painted as though 'flying' from an imaginary flagpole on the aircraft nose. This means that those painted on the port side appear correct and the starboard appear incorrect (or is it the other way round...?) anyway, the flags are not 'upside down' they are just 'viewed from the reverse' from one side. A top programme I thought. Very well put together and they should all feel proud of what they do.

GalleyTeapot
26th Mar 2010, 10:43
Great programme although I thought the comment from the chubby pilot type wasn't particularly 'PC', something along the lines of "All these squaddies have known before army life was their council estates......." or somehing like that. Very Melchettesque!

collbar
26th Mar 2010, 11:07
Fantastic words from Flt Lt Phoenix, what a refreshingly modest man. He made the whole program. You can be my Cab driver any day!!:ok:

dionysius
26th Mar 2010, 11:57
Unfortunately I missed it last night, is anyone aware if it will be repeated anytime soon ??

Trim Stab
26th Mar 2010, 11:57
the comment from the chubby pilot type wasn't particularly 'PC', something along the lines of "All these squaddies have known before army life was their council estates

I thought his comments were quite thoughtful for a pilot.

Some of the footage highlighted the youth of the soldiers who are doing the brunt of the fighting. It is ironic that most would never yet have had the opportunity to vote.

Wycombe
26th Mar 2010, 12:11
Very good stuff, the one fact that said it all for me was that on average one of these sorties happened every 3 days in 2009 - bloody hell.

NutLoose
26th Mar 2010, 12:13
He said estates, council was never mentioned and most houses in the UK I would say these days are on some form of estate.

mixture
26th Mar 2010, 12:18
dionysius

Unfortunately I missed it last night, is anyone aware if it will be repeated anytime soon ??

It will be repeated as often as you want...

The Air Hospital - 4oD - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-air-hospital/4od#3050906)

:ok:

GalleyTeapot
26th Mar 2010, 12:59
Nut Loose you said "He said estates, council was never mentioned and most houses in the UK I would say these days are on some form of estate.

Nut Loose - listen again. I have just watched that section again and can quote his words directly. "Their life experience has been limited up to joining the Army.....they've known their council estate or they've known their area and their school......".

Kinda spoiled the rest of what he had to say for me.

Seldomfitforpurpose
26th Mar 2010, 13:13
Having flown with Niv during his time on the J I will happily say he is one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet and someone is making a fuss about nothing :ok:

anotherthing
26th Mar 2010, 13:13
Have deleted the programme now so can't check whether 'council' was used or not... and who cares? Some people can be so picky it's pathetic.

The programme was excellent, the interviewees all very good.

Flt Lt Phoenix was exceptionally good in his candid interview - watching it for what it was and not watching it to try to pick up any inadvertent words that may or may not offend people, the compassion and respect that Flt Lt Phoenix felt was palpable.

I Felt particularly sad for the Guardsman who expressed guilt over having not killed the rogue policeman - even though he probably didn't have a chance to do so. I fear he may find it hard to come to terms with his perceived, but totally inappropriate guilt trip.

shobakker
26th Mar 2010, 13:14
Was I alone in noticing the look on the young lads faces as they realised that they'd just touched down in Afghanistan?

With ref to the council estates quote - does it really matter in the grander scheme of things?

With regards to the tea/coffee/chicken lasagne - that was the only thing in the programme that irked the love of my life (cabin crew) who commented "ah so that's where they get that from then!!"

Overall an excellent programme and yes, the figures about the number of flights bringing wounded soldiers back was shocking - it appears that this is brushed under the carpet somewhat...

Absolute respect to the folks who operate these flights.

GalleyTeapot
26th Mar 2010, 13:19
Yes it matters, he implied that all those who joined the army grew up on council estates. How narrow minded is that!
If someone said " All pilots went to boarding school and were regularly b***ered by the house master" maybe that would get some complaints but is that any different to his assumption at all squaddies grew up on council estates.

A good bloke he might be, according to some on here, but as I said, that comment sullied my opinion of everything else he had to say. I grew on a council estate but if someone tried to use that fact to judge me then they wouldn't get far.

anotherthing
26th Mar 2010, 13:25
I started life on a council estate - I don't take any offence to it whatsoever, not to what was or wasn't said/implied last night. If only life was so simple to be worried about such trivia.

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't judging anyone, you seem to be the only one doing the judging... can we put this to rest now?

It's detracting from the fact a very good programme was made that highlighted the excellent work our forces do.

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Mar 2010, 13:30
galley
get with the programme.....:\
Respect to those carried, those carrying them and those tendering them.
The comments from the wounded soldiers summed it all up, a good reminder to joe public

GalleyTeapot
26th Mar 2010, 13:32
Mr Angry I am "with the programme". I said I thought the show was excellent, other than that comment, which to me showed a lack of respect for the soldiers.

Postman Plod
26th Mar 2010, 13:37
Their life experience has been limited up to joining the Army.....they've known their council estate or they've known their area and their school......".

The fact that this is even being mentioned is pretty pathetic - who cares if its PC or not - it was a candid interview? Do you want everything to be scripted, PC, vetted and by the book? What a dull world that would be....

However it DOES NOT imply all squaddies grew up on council estates. It implies they grew up on council estates, OR went to school, OR haven't moved far outside the world they've known of their childhood / teenhood. Is he wrong? I'd say thats a pretty accurate assessment - Hell, hasn't everyones life experience been limited up to 18 / 19/ 20? When your first job invlolves putting you lives on the line on a daily basis, I'd suggest what he said was particularly apt and non-judgemental!

I'm a council house kid - I even come from a single parent household. I'm not insulted.

GalleyTeapot
26th Mar 2010, 13:42
Postman Plod, what gives you the right to call my opinion "pathetic"? Its my opinion, just because it is different from others options it is still just as valid. If everyone agreed with what everyone thought this would be a pretty boring world.

Kouncil House Kid
26th Mar 2010, 13:48
GT - you make a fair point as valid as any other. No worries. Perhaps the following comment I just puled off the ARRSE thread says it all:

'For the first time ever I was impressed by the attitude and demeanor of RAF pilots. They came across really well... '

So I think you are right to mention the potential PC issue (after all, it got your heckles up) but it seems that no harm was done regarding disrespect to soldiers, which is appropriate as I know than none was intended.

Postman Plod
26th Mar 2010, 13:53
GT, you're right, pathetic was the wrong word.

Its a shame that, given the content of the documentary as a whole, and given there was clearly no malice intended (and I don't know the pilot in question, or his background0, that this tainted it for you.

PPRuNe Pop
26th Mar 2010, 14:10
OK, back on topic. The background anyone comes from is TOTAL in its irrelevance. On any given day, in any event in or out of theatre each man is equal to the next - only rank parts them - even then its only a question who says what to whom. FWIW, I believe the comment had more than a hint of admiration in it!

As I said, back to topic.

air pig
26th Mar 2010, 14:23
Hey everyone,

Can't we just get away from all this pc cr@p and just reflect what the documentary was about, the amazing work done by everyone from the aircrew to the equipmnt techs carried on board just in case there is a problem with the kit. The fact that so many have survived injuries when not long ago would have died a long way from home in a strange land. Total and utter respect to the team as a whole, lets just look after the injured both physically and most importantly psychologically. The guilt the guys from the Guards having survived when their comrades where shot must at times be overwhleming.

The RAF have been in the aeromed field since the1920s and CCAST is continuing, maintaining and enhancing a long tradition, of care for their patients and long may it continue. Maybe a certain ex RAF medical officer was watching, but there again maybe not. Normally I would have graced the titles medical and officer with capital letters, but that individual's not worthy of standing and breathing let along having the honour of tending the injured.

We had all this stuff over the thread 'Flight of Angels'' lets not go down that route again and just celebrate that there is a team of people that when the world goes to hell in a handbasket that they will be part of a chain that will do there very best to get you home to your loved ones. Too old to go back ex PM, now in early 50s, fifteen years younger, back to RAuxAF lke a shot, can't help those at the sharp end enough.

Awesome. :D:D:D:D

Air pig.

ps, If CCAST are selling their T shirts for H4h put me down for a couple, and if I ever meet you at a show, beers on me.

ThreadBaron
26th Mar 2010, 14:25
Whenever I next have a 'bad' day and find myself whinging, I shall make myself remember Liam Culverhouse talking about the Afghani policeman:

... and he only managed to hit me six times. Thank God!

Wrathmonk
26th Mar 2010, 14:25
Can add little to what has been said already - fantastic programme. Thought the segment where they spoke to the survivors of the ANP incident was almost surreal seeing as the event had happened only 18 hours previously. The look of shock and bewilderment on their faces ...

On a lighter note, having sat staring at the back of Spoon's head for a few months at the University of Swindon I'm glad to see he was listening in the media briefs (unlike me!). Or could his TV style have been developed following TV banter with Ms Robinson ....;)

John Farley
26th Mar 2010, 14:31
For a whole raft of reasons all of those interviewed came across to me as very very high quality people.

I just wish I could feel the same about the jeering shouting MPs that we see going about their work in Parliament.

How close we have come to a situation where the lunatics are running the asylum.

air pig
26th Mar 2010, 14:43
John,

You speak about MPs of present cohort, the vast majority like 99% have never served or have family that have served. They meerly cheer from the sidelines, having no concept of war and its consequences, as shown by the injured. Thanks to HRH who has been to see, had a son oin the front line, he undertands the anxieties of the families and friends of those out there.

Lets celebrate what we have and the forging of new skills and abilities and enhance the already wonderful tradition the medical services, of service before self.

Air pig

AndyGB
26th Mar 2010, 15:06
Air Pig - The age limit for RAuxAF is 55 for those with previous military experiance.

Hammer Head Too
26th Mar 2010, 16:28
Stumbled on this programme whilst channel hopping..... having spoken to my eldest son earlier that day who had just got back to barracks in one piece... joy at listening to his excited voice, back in the UK, safe until next time...... content with my lot for the time being then wham..... watching those injuries, watching the total bravery of those soldiers, watching the dedication of the medical teams, the flight crews... everyone involved. The compassion and care shone so bright. It was a deeply moving experience... I wonder how many others sat on their comfy settees in our safe country in tears...?
HH2

Faithless
26th Mar 2010, 17:05
STOP...Regardless if they were from, or if he said, council estates, as I hail from who gives a toss...Every person stepping on or off that C17 should be respected and feel proud..infact every person in our Armed Forces...I coundn't give a damn of his/her back ground...

Be it a good/bad growing up in the estate they have made a choice to join the Armed Forces and fight for Queen and Country and be in constant harms way.

If You or I were in sh!t street I now know somebody out there who I don't even know would move heaven and earth to reach me ...fix me...attempt to keep me alive to see my family but....

most important than all of the above........ they will bring me home!

m+m
26th Mar 2010, 17:06
As I understand it the same crew goes out and back to Birmingham and then, because of crew duty time, gets a bus back to BZN. The cab then gets picked up by a fresh crew to go home.

Huge hand of respect to the girls and boys involved in all aspects of the operation. There can be no doubt that without their utter professionalism and dedication, many many more would not be making it home!

CV-580
26th Mar 2010, 17:38
The video is floating around the internet now. Go to thepiratebay.com. Get the "torrent" and download the video using Bittorrent or other similar program. If you don't know how to do this, pm me and I will gladly assist you.

To make it even easier, here is the location for the torrent file:

Cutting.Edge.The.Air.Hospital.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5464086/Cutting.Edge.The.Air.Hospital.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP)

CV-580

Bob the Doc
26th Mar 2010, 19:47
Watched it sitting in the mess at Lyneham last night with the on call CCAST (who were mercifully not out on a task). Generally very well received. We like the aircrew banter and Gezz VZ 'clearing his mind' in the cold air on the bottom of the ramp. He will suffer for that one! His comment about being unable to work out how long he'd been up for while restocking in Bldg 6001 was quite telling

We were most moved by the two guys having difficulty coming to terms with it all. The Fijian lad who felt guilty for not shooting the Afghan plod and the young lad who hasn't worked out how he will cope with it all yet almost had me in tears

Shame the voice over described us as people working for the NHS and CHOOSING to work for 4 months on CCAST was a bit misleading. We do work WITH the NHS when we aren't on CCAST but CCAST is out primary role and the NHS work is what we do to keep ourselves current for CCAST

Nitpicking but there you are!

tarantonight
26th Mar 2010, 19:59
Fantastic programme, huge respect for all those involved (got slightly confused who of the medical team were regular RAF and who was not, but that is a side issue. I am not military myself - a serving cop as it happens). I marvel at the commitmengt shown.

I shook my head yet again as to why the UK is involved in this conflict. The politicians say it is to get rid of the terrorist threat at source, well that is b**ll**ks. The threat to the UK from ICT is huge and it is well known that the huge majority of those trained are over the border in Pakistan. that is not even taking into account home grown Jihadi's who will travel to Pakistan to train.

We are too far into this cr*p to just pull out without the Government losing face, but I am not sure what we are achieving. Looking at those young lads discussing the firefight with the Afghan Cop made my heart bleed.

As for the flight deck chat re food, clearly an idea by the producers to let the public know the guys up front are human. Been there, done that. It's not important. A good friend of mine ended up a Tanker Driver on 101 and I met many of them. Whether you are a Tanker Driver, a Cop, or a Dustman, you are still human.

To 99 and the medical staff.......................:D

Regards,

TN

CirrusF
26th Mar 2010, 20:08
What is the training for CCAST medics? Do they join direct from NHS and do a PQO course at Cranwell? Or are they RAF career medics?

And if you want some background reading on the incident that lead to the unexpected extra casualties for the return trip that they mentioned, there is an article here:
'It was like Zulu' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7489393/It-was-like-Zulu.html)

Guardsman Janes later died. It surprises me that (as far as I know) none from that incident were recognised in the recent awards list.

Seldomfitforpurpose
26th Mar 2010, 20:12
Nitpicking but there you are!

Nitpick all you like, you and the folk you work with are entitled to and my hat's off to all of you :ok:

barnstormer1968
26th Mar 2010, 20:20
I have just tried to watch this programme. I say that, as I am not sure if I have watched the same programme as other posters did. The one I saw had a member of the aircrew talking about the soldiers in the back of the aircraft. IMHO, and partly looking through my counsellors eyes, I saw a man who was hugely moved by the courage, fatalism and plight of troops on the ground. He was displaying amazement at their ability to cope in combat and afterwards, and to succeed with limited life experiences prior to Afghanistan!

This does not seem to fit in with some other posters idea on his assessment of their backgrounds, whereas to me, it was in order to emphasize his respect and admiration for them.

Oh, the crew ate food too, which is just as well, as I would not want any aircrew to be over tired through lack of hot food or liquid. I mean this seriously, as Coming from a green background, I realise just how important the cargo on these trips are (a fact observed by the crew too)

Overall, an excellent programme which moved me a great deal. I have no idea if it is because I am getting old, or because I have two sons of similar age to the soldiers, but I just don't see the conflict as being worth the suffering it is causing. These soldier look like young boys to me*, and I do not want them to be put in harms way in my name, or to bolster any politicians aims. I have no idea if I am right or wrong on that call, and also know that I would have seen it differently while I was still in uniform too.

*They look like young boys, but their eyes give away a rapid ageing and maturing process brought on by combat. These are men in boys bodies, but men all the same, and I am always inspired at their determination and selfless attitudes.

Being a cold war dinosaur, I also did not fully understand the employment status of the medical team, and thought they were NHS as the programme suggested. Can someone please enlighten me about this superb team.

9.81m/s/s
26th Mar 2010, 20:29
Barnstormer - see Bob the Doc's post. It may explain it a little.

tarantonight
26th Mar 2010, 20:57
I am with Barnstormer. Who was RAF and who was not. The Aneeeeethatist (I've had a Vin Rouge or two) appeared to be a Civvy in his day job?

MightyGem
26th Mar 2010, 20:59
It's usually the same crew, albeit an Augmented Crew
Thanks, Uncle.

tarantonight
26th Mar 2010, 20:59
Just read Bob the Doc.

Guzlin Adnams
26th Mar 2010, 21:07
:DMrs Guzlin, Guzlin minor mark 2 and I watched this, one of the best programs made for ages on the TV. All I can say is that you have our total respect and appreciation for what you do. I only hope that the Politicians, spin doctors, half-wits and other various near-do-wells that stain our system in these times were watching. They should realize that they are not fit to clean your boots!
There will aleays be a beer waiting for you here in Suffolk.
Stay safe and God bless.

November4
26th Mar 2010, 21:17
Haven't watched it as yet - plan to er acquire a copy to watch later.

It surprises me that (as far as I know) none from that incident were recognised in the recent awards list.

As the report covers something that has occured during the current tour which will be considered for the next set of Honours and Awards...?

kharmael
26th Mar 2010, 23:02
Bob the Doc: Should've come to Cider and Pasties instead! :ok:

OilCan
27th Mar 2010, 06:57
...just like to add my admiration to all the participants and to the production team for such a moving and illuminating documentary.:ok:

I too was a little confused over the RAF/NHS involvment but nevertheless was humbled by the culture and priorities on display. Truely awsome.

To all the Doc Bobs' and Nurse Xs', RAF or NHS, THANK YOU.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh! and to 99 Sqn, just the (hungry) bus drivers, we've known that all along.:cool: (from a maritime mate). :p

Bob the Doc
27th Mar 2010, 08:46
Sort of glad that we weren't getting picky and that the public were a little confused as to the status of the team on CCAST...

All members of CCAST (doctors, nurses, medics and MDSS techs) are full time serving members of the RAF. There are currently no reservists, auxiliaries or civilians working on this service.

Since the closure of all service hospitals in the late '90s (generally agreed to be a good thing although not desperately popular), all full time service secondary care (hospital based) medical personnel have jobs in NHS hospitals when they are not on duty for their 'war role'. Most personnel work at one of the Ministry of Defence Hospital Units (MDHUs) around the country. MDHUs are civilian hospitals with a specific arrangement with the MoD for the provision of clinical services to military patients and also providing work and training for military medical personnel. Currently there are MDHUs at Peterborough, Frimley Park (Aldershot), Derriford (Plymouth), Northallerton/Middlesborough and Portsmouth. In addition to these hospitals is the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine which is currently based at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. It will move to the new hospital when it opens this Summer.

Clinical staff (doctors and nurses) are on an on-call rota for CCAST. The rotas are slightly different for the different types of staff but 4 months on call a year is about right. It is worth remembering that there is a tactical CCAST based at Bastion that provides in-theatre transfer capability. This also has to be covered.

The Flight Nursing Attendant (FNA) is usually drawn from the pool of staff at Tac Med Wg at Lyneham, likewise the MDSS tech.

At any one time there are a total of four doctors (2 consultants and 2 trainees) and six nurses on call in the UK. All on 6 hours NTM. 2 doctors (one of each) and four nurses are resident at Lyneham and the others are on call from their home hospital and can be called in as required. The consultants are on call for a month at a time, the nurses do two. The trainee doctors do one week at a time to minimise disruption to training. The deployed nurses are in AFG for 3 months, the docs do 2.

As Gp Capt McGuire mentioned on the programme, officially there is a 24 hour stand down period after a mission (and the other on call team comes down to Lyneham to cover that time) but occasionally that team has already deployed on another mission (or the mission is so large that two teams are required) and so sometimes that 24 hour limit is broken. Fortunately it is unusual.

Hope that helps clarify things a little. Sorry for the long post but there seemed to be enough people confused as to the status of the team that it was worth clarifying the situation. Any more questions, feel free to post or PM me!

BtD
CCAST Trainee MO

PS...Kharmael - given that we are not allowed to get pissed while on call, while the cider and pasties was tempting, spending an evening in 30 Sqn's hangar as the only sober one didn't really appeal!

scarecrow450
27th Mar 2010, 13:00
Bob the Doc thanks for the details, was wondering myself. People knock the military/NHS medical but they are/ you are the best in the world and thats what our lads/lass'es need.
Just need the powers in charge need to realise it ! :D:D

T-21
27th Mar 2010, 13:16
Brilliant programme ,please show more of the services flying. Love the banter !

El Grifo
27th Mar 2010, 16:49
Being overseas, I am normally deprived of such gems.

Just finished watching it this minute though.

Very interesting piece of documentary.

Someone told me it was available here :-

Cutting.Edge.The.Air.Hospital.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5464086/Cutting.Edge.The.Air.Hospital.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP)

CV-580
27th Mar 2010, 18:22
I have downloaded it and can make it available via an online file if anyone does not want to be bothered with downloading it via the torrent file method that El Grifo noted. Just pm me for the details. It is approx. 359 meg. in size. CV-580

tilleydog1
27th Mar 2010, 19:50
:DI too was a little confused about the status of the team, thanks ''bob the doc for clearing that up.
I can only praise the hard work and dedication of the team that was shown in the programme.
I spent many years flying as part of an aeromed team and I must admit that compared to the efforts of the CCAST we had it a lot easier, even when bringing the guys back from NI.
Guess all I really want to say is well done!

jindabyne
27th Mar 2010, 20:24
A very informative and humbling programme. I have the utmost respect for all those that were, and still are, involved.

barnstormer1968
27th Mar 2010, 21:57
Thank you 'bob the doc'

That was what I needed to know.
I could not, nor never have, done your job. Folks like these medical teams (and medics in combat too) are giants of people IMHO.

Seeing blood and guts while trying to save ones life in battle is one thing, but to see such things under the circumstances in the programme, is something I could not do, or want to do.

Thank you:ok:

Chugalug2
28th Mar 2010, 19:55
Bit late on parade with this one, so watched it here:
The Air Hospital - 4oD - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-air-hospital/4od#3050906)
27 days left and counting there, so if you haven't caught up with it yet then please do so ASAP.
Not much to say other than what has already been said by most previous posts. Truth is I don't know what to say as I'm filled with such a mixture of pride, awe, respect, sadness and blind rage. Perhaps I should dwell more on the quiet and profound thoughts expressed by those featured, the injured, the medics, and the crew. One of them seemed to speak for some here at least, "Us? We're just the drivers!". Amen to that. Oh, and well done again Channel 4, thank goodness you are there to represent our Forces so well for us.
Chug

air pig
19th Apr 2010, 11:33
Being re shown this weekend on More 4.

regards

Air pig.