PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical

uk
3rd May 2001, 13:59
I spoke to Adrian Chorley yesterday who is the Optimologist at the CAA and is the man who conducts the Class 1 eye examinations
He was very friendly and helpful so don't hesitate in contacting him if you have any problems/queries
He mentioned that because I was borderline he would probably administer eye drops to relax the muscles in my eye, which apparently makes your vision slightly worse
Has anyone had this done and what were the effects?
I'd also like to hear from anyone who was above the visual requirements but was still granted a Class 1
From my understanding, this DOES happen as if they can get you through, they will
Cheers'
UK
PS There are no full stops in my post because that key doesn't work on my keyboard!!

Dude~
5th May 2001, 17:57
What is the current cost of a first time Class I medical?

thanks man.

expedite_climb
5th May 2001, 20:46
are you saying they give you eye drops to make your vision worse if you are borderline ?

doh ? Hardly seems fair.

Tarmach
6th May 2001, 21:56
Dude,

The initial class 1 medical is £400.

Alot of money to get your balls felt eh!!

Tarmach.

Dude~
7th May 2001, 16:59
Well bugger me. Why is it so expensive?
Does the cost vary at all depending on where you go, or does the Class I have to be done at Gatwick? (And it only lasts for 1 year right?)

Speed Racer
8th May 2001, 03:09
I feel for you man, i lost my 'enter' key the other week.. :)

400? .. sh!t ! it cost me about NZ$600-700 all up i'd say, converted to pounds that's only about 200 or so.

And from what i remember, my eyes felt great after he put in the muscle relaxer! It took a while after for my vision to get focused again, but i reckon it made it better :)

Good luck!

SPEED!

Edited coz i forget u aint allowed profanity :)

[This message has been edited by Speed Racer (edited 07 May 2001).]

redsnail
12th May 2001, 22:31
The drops are put in your eyes to make the iris open right up. As you know, the eye uses a lens, just like a camera. So, wide arpeture settings on your camera will show up the lens's flaws as opposed to a closed down iris. Same effect with your eyes. When the iris is wide open, any flaws in the lens will be more apparent. Up shot, you'll get a more accurate assesment/prescription.
The drops aren't the most comfortable thing on earth, they should give you "reducing" drops after the eye exam. It's still a good idea to take some sunglasses with you in case they have not reduced enough to withstand sun light.