PDA

View Full Version : Kinloss 26 March

anotherpruner
25th Mar 2010, 16:45
I am planning on making a trip to Kinloss tomorrow with an aviation enthusiast to see the retirement of the Nimrod MR2. Would anyone be able to post the timings of the flypast and the take off times if possible?

Thank you in advance.

anotherpruner

getsometimein
26th Mar 2010, 08:56
I'm sure someone will give you exact timings as I cant remember...

But the hangar function is 1200-1600, so it will likely t/o and land within that period.

stbd beam
26th Mar 2010, 09:40
Take off 1400, flyby 1530 - hopefully a two-ship. The weather is possibly a problem just now....

grousehunter
26th Mar 2010, 10:53
Hello there,

Ignoring the transit flights to museums etc is today really the official last flight or is there going to be flying on the 31st before the hanger bash? I had heard that there was talk of getting as many serviceable airframes as possible airborne?

If it really is today I will get myself over to Kinloss! Be sad to miss such a historic event!

Regards

GH

Duncan D'Sorderlee
26th Mar 2010, 11:03
The Nimrod MR2 will remain operational till 2359 on 31 Mar 10. There is intended to be flying right up till (not exactly!) the end.

Duncs:ok:

grousehunter
26th Mar 2010, 11:11
Duncs,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the out of service date/time, but is there any planned (i,e fypasts etc) flying next wednesday as well? I'm sure Hoots is desperate to be flying at 2359 next wed!!!

GH

mrse
26th Mar 2010, 13:50
i lost my husband in 07 and he worked on the nimrods for quite some time. im sure some of you may know him Chf Tech S Everett. I am unable to come to kinloss and wonderd if any one would send me a copy of the last fly past as this is a very sentimental day and i had hoped to be there for the last flight.
This lady of the sky has seen so many happy times for Steve. Any help would be greatfull recived and a donation to the raf ben fund and h4h will be given .

Thanks so much.
mrse c

ps pls excuse the drudfell sprillin :)

stbd beam
26th Mar 2010, 16:31
You have a PM...

anotherpruner
26th Mar 2010, 16:37
Just back in from watching the flypast. Not the greatest of days for it weather wise but was nice to see her fly for the last time, I think got some good pictures of the occasion. I'm sure a good time will be had by all tonight at the hangar shindig!

anotherpruner

30mRad
26th Mar 2010, 16:39
Some stuff on the BBC News website:

BBC News - End of era for old Nimrods marked at RAF Kinloss (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8588658.stm)

A memorable and sad day. :{

RumPunch
26th Mar 2010, 21:07
As somebody says things are never missed until they are gone.

MR2 will be sorely missed and I just hope the press at least give her the send off she deserves without a mention of 2/9/06 for at least one story.

fincastle84
26th Mar 2010, 21:31
I watched the flypast on BBC Scotland through Sky in deepest Hampshire with a tear in my eye & a large Grouse in my hand.

'Fortiter in Re' :ok:

Tappers Dad
26th Mar 2010, 22:27
It has been a sad day today, Nimrod will always be remembered by the public as the aircraft 14 men were killed in due to "A Failure of Leadership, Culture and Priorities" (Haddon -Cave QC)

However it must be remembered that Nimrod and its crews have been responsible for saving many lives of service men and mariners.
There are no winners in all of this, the RAF lost 14 men and an aircraft, we lost our much loved youngest son Ben "TAPPER", jobs have been lost on the base and people may have to move out of the area.

The effects of the tragic event on 2nd September 2006 has spread like the ripples in a pond through families, colleagues, friends,and now those about to loose their jobs at the base at Kinloss.

A very sad day indeed!

Charlie Luncher
27th Mar 2010, 00:02
TD
The RAF also lost good men on the 2nd Sept 1995 and 18 Nov 1980, maybe you could set up a trust fund to help those in need in lasting memory to Ben.

Good luck to all at ISK, hope you have a blast you auld buggers and I will have a few down under for you. It really is the end of an iconic era but somehow I think the memories and legends will linger for a while yet.
Harry Staish it only seems like yesterday as young-uns down the Crown and Anchor, what happened to our hair?:sad:
Charlie sends

OilCan
27th Mar 2010, 04:56
Actually,

the RAF has lost a lot of good men. Full stop. So has the Army and the Navy.

The reasons vary from cock ups to incompetence; the reactions vary from humble pride to vindictive self righteousness.

When the political establishment is caught in the glare of public pressure, sensible decisions are overruled by short term political expedience which disregards the operational consequences and inevitable financial penalties.

To those who haven’t seen it, go to the Channel 4 documentary on the C17 (links on another thread) and tell me our culture & priorities are wrong.

Some of those guys have been killed/injured because we’re not there. :ugh:

R.I.P CXX/3 (It's not your fault)

olddog
27th Mar 2010, 15:25
Not great quality but weather was pretty poor. I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. The end of an era. God bless all those who worked with the Mighty Hunter. The RAF has lost a sturdy and reliable work horse and will be a poorer force without a viable Maritime Patrol Force. See next post for link to video.

olddog
28th Mar 2010, 10:45
Final Flypast of 2 Nimrod MR2s at RAF Kinloss on 26 Mar 10

value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1404247231678" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1404247231678"

Finally found a link that works!!! If anyone would like a copy of the file (14MB) PM me with an E Mail Address. Also if anyone at Kinloss has a spare copies of the souvenir magazine I have 3 or 4 ex Nimrod Mates who would love a copy. I will happily pay postage and make a donation to H for H.

Distant Voice
28th Mar 2010, 16:17
Just read on another site:

The bomb-bay of the Nimrod can carry 9 Stingray anti-submarine torpedos, 150 sonobuoys; and for search-and-rescue missions air-deliverable dinghies & survival packs.

Trouble is, the release devices can not be relied on because the bomb bay heating has been isolated since 2nd Sept 2006. Is this the real reason why the aircraft is being removed from service; it can not do its job.

DV

TEEEJ
28th Mar 2010, 17:50
Nimrod tribute picture thread on the following. Page 2 has an image of the "Chocolate Bomber".

Nimrod retirement today - please add pictures - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99007)

Nimrod retirement today - please add pictures - Page 2 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99007&page=2)

Nimrod retirement today - please add pictures - Page 3 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99007&page=3)

TJ

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Mar 2010, 18:00
DV,

Training Variant Sting Ray Torpedos and Search and Rescue Apparatus have recently been successfully dropped from Nimrod MR2 with the Bomb Bay Heating inoperative. Therefore, the answer is: No.

lonsdale2
28th Mar 2010, 19:58
Some more info here:

Roxy takes control for farewell flight - Northern Scot (http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/9566/Roxy_takes_control_for_farewell_flight.html)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Mar 2010, 20:55
I wouldn't believe anything he says: he's a ginger!

Siggie
28th Mar 2010, 23:40
"Sometimes you can be airborne before you know where you are going."

I'm still flying with pilots like that :}

Seriously, have a great last flight - hope to see you all at Fincastle soon.

Distant Voice
29th Mar 2010, 08:35
Duncs.

As an engineer I know that anything can be "tweeked", but the important phrase in my statement is "release devices can not be relied on".

DV

Duncan D'Sorderlee
29th Mar 2010, 09:06
DV,

Fair point; although I think that it may be better stated that they may be expected to operate outside their original temperature band. I have no information regarding reliability or lack thereof; if for no other reason than I don't think that there have been many (any?) trials.

However, as far as I am aware, that had nothing to do with the decision to remove the MR2 from Service.

641st
29th Mar 2010, 11:03
Just had the delicate sound of four Speys rattle the windows at Prestwick.... maybe for the last time...

spock33
29th Mar 2010, 15:04
I've just received my mag. Great product, thanks guys.

It's made me realise just how old I really am. I recognise many of the oldies but the youngsters don't ring any bells.

What happened to Robby Noel's hair?

Spock

kb661
29th Mar 2010, 17:14
Thanks Spock,
I am just trying to iron out the final details on what I am allowed to do with regard to payment and the magazine. I need to cover the costs of P&P for sending it out to all interested parties.

Would people be willing to donate £8 in lieu of P&P? I would used this for envelopes and postage. The rest would go to charity (one local and possibly one on Station).

Thanks
Keith

Frustrated....
29th Mar 2010, 18:21
I would be willing to donate £8 to whoever to receive a copy of the magazine. I am more than happy to use paypal or a bank transfer, if required, to someone at Kinloss who can send me a magazine.

Please PM me.

Frustrated
Ex 206 Sqn

spock33
29th Mar 2010, 19:02
Let me know. I'm happy to subscribe retrospectively for such a great magazine.

For the previous correspondent - life on 206 was always frustrating!!!!

kb661
29th Mar 2010, 20:47
Frustrated,
Please don't be frustrated. I have been trying to sort out the who and what elements of what I am allowed to do with monies and cheques, etc. The money will be used to cover postage. Any surplus money will be split between a local charity (at least 50%) and the Kinloss Gate Guardian Project.

It is a 72 page A4 colour magazine. It covers (a brief) history of the Nimrod MR1 & 2 from 1969 to March 2010.

If anyone would like a copy please send a cheque for £8 (made payable to Service Funds RAF Kinloss) to the following address:

Nimrod MR2 OSD Magazine
Flt Lt Keith Bissett
RAF Kinloss
Forres
Morayshire
IV36 3UH

Please do not forget to include your name, postal address and contact phone number.

I have about 500 spare copies so there should be more than enough. I will try and update as necessary. If you would like to check my stocks please email [email protected]

For overseas postage please email!

I am taking a wee bit of leave so they should reach you by 20th April.

Thanks
Keith