PDA

View Full Version : Overflying Saudi Arabia

nomorecatering
25th Mar 2010, 10:01
Is overflying Saudi an onerous process, getting the overflight permit or routings over.

Eg if your planning Mahle to Larnaca at FL450, would you get cleared direct throuh saudi airspace or would oe have to take a longer track along airways.

Just a planning exercise for now.

dc9-32
25th Mar 2010, 10:25
File and fly via airways unless instructed to fly DCT on the day but be aware of restricted zones hence the need to stay on airways.

Getting the permit is easy if you follow the guidelines.

:eek:

Pace
25th Mar 2010, 11:03
NoMoreCatering

I ferried a wreck of an ancient Citation back from India via Dubai. An overfly clearance is a peace of cake a landing clearance in Saudi much harder.

I didnt quite have a safe range so thought of overflying and then diverting into Saudi for fuel but was told not to even try that trick :ugh:

I got the landing clearance to pick up fuel mid Saudi after loosing a day getting it.

Landed there in a sandstorm and went on my merry way to Alexandria.

So overfly no probs, diversion make sure its genuine! landing possible!

Pace

Global Warrior
25th Mar 2010, 11:48
Its the same as overflying anywhere........ but more sand!!! If you have a clearance, which is not hard to get, you will be fine. For the first 10 minutes over Saudi, you will controlled by Bahrain, they will hand you over to Riyadh who will do 2 things

!) Ask you for your "OTILA" estimate (border Saudi & Jordan)
2) Tell you to contact Jeddah abeam "RAF" i think

Assuming you dont forget to contact Jeddah....... some 30 minutes later, Jeddah will tell you to call amman on 128.5 at Otila

So you will transit Saudi without really saying much to anyone.

If you are tech stopping, fuel is cheaper in beirut than Larnaca!

Good Luck

GW

ELLS
25th Mar 2010, 11:57
All sounds like good gouge.

I would only add that you might want to find out which airways they will likely use for your route. In my dozens of trips across Saudi I have gotten maybe one direct. If what you file is not what they expect, no one will tell you anything until they start yelling at you because you turned or did not turn at the expected point. If you follow their route, it stays mellow.