PDA

View Full Version : Sending a fax from a PC

gingernut
24th Mar 2010, 14:00
Is it possible to send a fax from a PC for nothing. (I only want to send one). I've got wirelss connectivity to the internet,

cheers, ginge

Sprogget
24th Mar 2010, 14:19
Not without paying for the phone call it ain't. If you're on xp, then you can add windows fax via the control panel. I haven't done this for years, but if you search on add or remove windows features, you'll find it easily enough.

Of course you need a modem in the pc & then to hook that up to a phone line & you'll be away. I have used my pc to fax for years & it works faultlessly. This is just what comes with Windows, I am sure there are no end of third party apps for the same thing. A search seems in order.

Saab Dastard
24th Mar 2010, 14:28
There's several "fax via internet" services available, most with a free trial period.

Or you might find that your local library / post office / corner shop will do it for a few pence.

SD

Bushfiva
24th Mar 2010, 14:30
tpc.int may still be alive. Otherwise, check out services such as jconnect, faxzero, efax.

gingernut
24th Mar 2010, 16:22
thanks chaps:ok:

JDJ
25th Mar 2010, 15:04
I would try this is a search engine:

send fax online free

cheers,

Jon.

gingernut
25th Mar 2010, 21:25
thanks Jon

IO540
28th Mar 2010, 09:34
I've been using Interfax (http://www.interfax.net/en) for some years (email to fax) and have never had a problem. Not "free" though.

Normally I email a PDF and then one can be sure of what the end fax will look like.

As for sending a fax directly from a computer, one can do it with e.g. Winfax (a once nice program which Symantec trashed (like most things they touch) and then discontinued) or using the built-in fax in Windoze (which is pretty flakey IME). Winfax is OK once you have it set up, with a normal old-style modem, but is flakey with GSM/GPRS/3G modems so for mobile fax one tends to be back to email2fax services.

The other thing is that when faxing over GSM one needs a really good a constant signal, much better than is needed for internet connectivity, and this also favours email2fax.