PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over class 1 visual requirement

martyn_uk
2nd May 2001, 01:48
Hi everyone.

I see that there are quite a few topics re. visual standards but I hope you won't mind one more.

I am 19 and have always loved flying/aviation. So I recently decided that I would start taking lessons to try and get a PPL. I would like to take it further if possible.

One worry I had was related to the visual requirement for the medical. So I went to see an optometrist and I gave her a copy of the JAA class 1 and 2 visual standards. I asked her if I would at least pass the class 2 standard.

Straight away she started testing my visual acuity without glasses. Then she told me that I would pass the class 2 standard, and for class 1 I meet the standard in my right eye and both eyes together but don't quite make it for the left eye, but she said I was close. This was without glasses.

But I pointed out that the CAA details state that you need to meet the standard with our without glasses. She then started explaining what she understood visual acuity to mean and said that the document I gave her (which I printed from the CAA website) was worded badly and was probably prepared by a doctor.

The optometrist told me the line on the chart that I would have to read to meet the standard. Without glasses I couldn't make out all the letters on the line (with my left eye - I could manage with my right eye) .

But am I missing something? I again asked the optician about meeting the standard with glasses, but she wasn't having it and said that the document was quite clear.

My prescription is:
Right: Sphere: +0.75 Cyl: 0 Axis: 0
Left: Sphere: +1.75 Cyl: +0.75 Axis: 150

I am going to phone the CAA people in Gatwick about this but I wanted to ask for a few opinions first. So basically, providing everything else to do with my eyes is fine, do you think that I would pass the class 1 visual test. Although I wasn't asked to read the chart with glasses on, I could get to the line that the optometrist said that I would need to get to to meet the standard.

Sorry for such a long post, thanks for your help.

Martyn

expedite_climb
2nd May 2001, 16:46
to ease your conscience, you can wear glasses.

My eyes are worse than yours and I hold a class one, you are well within limits.

Becak
3rd May 2001, 11:28
Ex-Cl,

Ooh that's so sweet.

Cheers.

martyn_uk
6th May 2001, 16:08
Thanks for that expedite_climb. Now all I have to worry about is the rest of the medical.

Martyn