PDA

View Full Version : Congenital Nystagmus

IT Carlow
28th Jan 2001, 02:13
I am 20 years old and have had nystagmus since birth. I would like to join the RAF, I can read 6/6 on the eye chart which is the eye sight requirement but I have to tilt my head to the right in order to see the line. Could somebody please tell me if this will cause me to fail the test.
Best Wishes,
ITC

FireDragon
28th Jan 2001, 20:28
ItCarlow

I doubt if you will find much information about nystagmus on this site - it's a rare condition, and not many people know of it.
HOWEVER, I'm a fellow sufferer, so can empathise with you.

I know it is not an automatic ban to a medical certificate, (I have a class 2 and am going to try for a class 1). As far as the military, however, I don't know.

As I said, this condition is unusual, so if you want me to share my experiences of it with you, (plus some possible help - ), post again, and I'll email you in the next few days

FD

ariel
1st Feb 2001, 01:00
What is Nystagmus ??

IT Carlow
4th Feb 2001, 15:39
Dear FD,
I would really like to know about your experiances with nystagmus. The only reason I can read so far on the eye chart is because I am in the process of having the nystagmus treated with EEG Neurofeedback. Hopefully by the end of this year it will be completely gone. Have you had any treatment for it ?
Best Wishes,
ITC