PDA

View Full Version : Best Route on to the Wirral from the South

61 Lafite
23rd Mar 2010, 16:11
Anyone who goes in that area regularly have any routing / other advice for a southerner heading up to a hotel near West Kirby (Hillbark Hotel) on the Wirral?

Entry to the Wirral is right underneath the flight path for Liverpool airport, and R311 danger area covers most of the mouth.

I'd prefer to keep over the dry bits.

Lafite

VeeAny
23rd Mar 2010, 16:54
I can hardly call myself a local anymore but over the top of Hawarden and up the eastern side of the Dee estuary used to work for me.

Have you been to Hillbark before ? If the landing site hasn't moved its next to a pagoda like thing which is solid enough, not really a Single engine site for public transport the drop off the landing area is very deep down to the common.

I took an EC120 in their a few years in a corporate role and they do have an alternate field nearby that you can dump the pax in before parking, which is what I ended up doing.

Keep an eye on the helicopter as its freely accessable to the wedding guests . party goers if there are any there.

Nice hotel, nice staff, when i was there.

GS

JimBall
23rd Mar 2010, 21:49
Not a problem to get a DAP permission to operate inside 311. The UK AIP has all the contacts.

EESDL
24th Mar 2010, 11:46
Beware...last time I dined there they cloned my creditcard, thieving scouse ba5tards.
Popular with woofball players.
Used to live nearby, great building (used to be an old peoples' home or something else as smelly).
.......... beware of the ghosts.........and thieving ba5tards

If you don't want to leave chopper there then try Caldy Golf Club - nice big practice area.
pm for contact if required

chris-h
24th Mar 2010, 22:17
thieving scouse ba5tards

I thought the hotel was on the wirral...
And now i suppose your going to say you seen them clone it and they where from Liverpool.

JulieAndrews
25th Mar 2010, 09:15
Chris-h
......We all know that SBs roam throughout the world...from as far as the Lake District all the way down to Abersoch - and at places in between!

:ok:

EESDL
25th Mar 2010, 09:21
And now i suppose your going to say you seen them clone it and they where from Liverpool.

Clever use of the English language to indicate that you were probably educated in Bromborough:D

61 Lafite
Any luck or has the weather 'canned' the flight?
Did some scroat come out and ask for a 'quid' to look after your 'skids'?

61 Lafite
25th Mar 2010, 09:49
Thanks for all the responses.

Flight's likely to be in the next month or so (I'm the long-term planning type!). I may ask to use their field for a first approach as I'm offering someone a first flight in a helicopter as part of the trip up.

I'll keep some change handy to pay off an 'minders' that offer their services. Fortunately the person I'm visiting is a local anyway, they should know the score...

I presume that Liverpool are fairly easy going if I need a basic service with Liverpool whilst skirting around and below their airspace.

Thanks again

Lafite

chester2005
25th Mar 2010, 11:36
you can't get below Liverpools's airspace over the wirral .
They are normally quite accomodating with people landing on the wirral.
Personally i would suggest talking to Hawarden first for an overhead transit of their zone and then to Liverpool for a zone entry at Neston (across the silted up Dee estuary or skirt the edge of the peninsula) at or below 1500ft
Liverpool zone entry exit points over the wirral are neston and west kirby, IMHO i think Neston would suit you better and well away from an retsricted areas

Chester:ok:

just re-read your post
the wirral is controlled airspace you will not get a basic service there only when you leave the zone

61 Lafite
25th Mar 2010, 12:51
Thanks for the reply. You are (obviously) right about the airspace - the map shows the overlay of the CTR SFC - 2500, and the CTA 2500 - 3500, but the annotation for the CTA sits right over the north of the Wirral. I had misinterpreted it (also known as c*cked-it-up)

Chalk up one successful result for asking before getting near a place I've never been to! :ok:

Thanks again fro the help.

chris-h
25th Mar 2010, 20:46
How could such a thing happen on the Wirral, Id dare anybody to land near to Birkenhead