PDA

View Full Version : TSA Luggage inspections in the USA

fincastle84
23rd Mar 2010, 11:39
We've just flown TPA-LGW with BA. It was an excellent flight as previously reported on the BA strike thread.

Whilst unpacking one of the suitcases Mel found a note from the TSA informing us that the bag had been opened & the contents inspected. Everything had been neatly replaced.

Luckily our luggage is fitted with TSA approved locks because the TSA note states:
If the TSA officer was unable to open your bag for inspection because it was locked, the officer may have been forced to break the locks on your bag. TSA sincerely regrets having to do this. However, TSA is not liable for damage to your locks resulting from this necessary security precaution.

I'm publishing this as a warning to those who may not be aware that the TSA have the right to act in this way or who haven't fitted TSA approved locks.

I imagine that when the bag passed through X-ray their suspicions were aroused by a large jar of peach pickle, a present from a friend!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Mar 2010, 11:50
It has been the case for some years, but my wife and I never experienced any problems.

If you don't use a special lock which they can access they can cut your bag open and you have no redress. Locks are readily available.

AussieNick
23rd Mar 2010, 12:28
its more common than you would think. In YPDN checked bags are opened if when xrayed the security officer is unable to identify an item, or, like the other day, when we pickup a bag to load onto a plane and notice a certian, long, vibrating object is on.... here they get tagged with a sticker from security.

man friday
23rd Mar 2010, 13:31
Cable Ties make a cheap alternate to the TSA aproved locks. Use them every time!

Had Bags checked 18 months ago by the agency and no damage was done to the bag, it was only the tie that suffered the wrath of the US government

lexxity
23rd Mar 2010, 14:09
I've had my samsonite searched, big jar of apple martini mix and gift wrapped alarm clock in the same bag. Doh! I only do the side locks up and have never had any trouble with that.

Diver_Dave
23rd Mar 2010, 15:24
On the way back from a Cave diving trip around the Tulum area last
year we transited via Atlanta, flying Delta.

Now we only had a three hour connection time, then out of four bags
three were checked by the TSA (LOTS of odd shaped metal in the Cave rigs)
and.... Drum roll.........

The only bag that missed the connection was the one they DIDN'T check....

Arrived by courier the next day after a side trip via Heathrow :-)

Oh well... Never been able to figure that one!

Regards

DaveA

nicolai
23rd Mar 2010, 17:45
Whilst unpacking one of the suitcases Mel found a note from the TSA informing us that the bag had been opened & the contents inspected. Everything had been neatly replaced.

I'm publishing this as a warning to those who may not be aware that the TSA have the right to act in this way or who haven't fitted TSA approved locks.

Also carry a spare such lock. I have had the TSA open my has-TSA-backdoor locks (padlock style) many times, but recently they (or, I suppose, baggage handlers, but I suspect TSA (Tucson airport, KTUS)) managed to either break it or fail to reattach it, so my bag arrived unlocked at destination and I was unable to lock it for the rest of my flights on that itinerary until I got home. I'm not overly impressed about that.

As to style of lock, some have an indicator to show if the TSA key was used to open them or the main key or combination, which allows me to see how often the TSA key is being used.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Mar 2010, 21:57
Now we only had a three hour connection time, then out of four bags three were checked by the TSA (LOTS of odd shaped metal in the Cave rigs)
and.... Drum roll.........

The only bag that missed the connection was the one they DIDN'T check....

Arrived by courier the next day after a side trip via Heathrow :-)

Oh well... Never been able to figure that one!

Obvious. All 4 bags were singled out for checking. Bags 1-3 had been checked when th ecall went out for the last cart. Bag 4 gets left behind.

Bag 4 then gets different treatment.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Mar 2010, 22:09
If every TSA operator has a ' special ' key - how many are around the Underworld, too, doubtless fetching a good price amongst the low-lifes ?

I put my dirty underwear on top.

In the days before liquids were banned, a bottle of red wine showed up in a cabin bag x-ray scanner as a great, black, bottle shaped blob. Cut off the bottom of a bottle of Cabinet Sauvignon, drink the contents - why waste it - line the bottle neatly with kitchen foil - or spray it with black paint - and pack it with explosive !

I never had my bag opened to question the bottle. Can't do it now of course, not even 10 ml of mouthwash or suntan oil.

World's gone mad.

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2010, 07:51
If every TSA operator has a ' special ' key - how many are around the Underworld, too, doubtless fetching a good price amongst the low-lifes ?

Shame on you. Are you suggesting that TSA operators are on the minimum wage and might misappropriate keys?

Actually we were quite impressed flying out of Acapulco via the USA. We were told NOT to lock our luggage as the Mexcians could not open TSA2 locks.

I put my dirty underwear on top..[/QUOTE]

That didn't work. Customs officer still moved it. Next ploy was to put expensive, new duty-free camera on the top. That didn't work either; Customs officer still moved it. (I had the customs receipt for duty in my wallet).

ExSp33db1rd
24th Mar 2010, 09:03
We were told NOT to lock our luggage as the Mexcians could not open TSA2 locks.

So by not being locked - they didn't have to go to the trouble of breaking anything ! ( shame on you, are you suggesting........ - yes! )

teddybear44
24th Mar 2010, 09:11
I'm afraid foil, black paint etc seems a total waste of time.
to me.

Some tips:

I have always felt that taking a downmarket type suitcase and leaving it unlocked was the best policy. Theft does unfortunately happen around the world though and if your baggage seems 'unattractive' in some way then that helps counter that. No names or addresses on the outside, just a mobile number for contact, in case lost (don't want too many people to know I'm away from home). Second piece paper inside with same information. Heat sealing facilities available in many places if you really want (never bothered myself).

Ted

ExSp33db1rd
24th Mar 2010, 09:31
I have always felt that taking a downmarket type suitcase and leaving it unlocked was the best policy

When I joined BOAC every crew member used a navy blue Globetrotter, probably because Uniform Stores sold ( didn't give ) them at a slightly lower price than Selfridges, or John Lewis if memory serves.

Trouble was, everyone had a numbered key, a pathetic thing, but gave one some sense of security because it was numbered - Oh yeah ? Every key was numbered 3 !!

When lost the stewardesses hairpin served just as well - much better if she actually came along to ones' room to assist, rather than just hand over a pin ! ( one has ones' dreams and memories )

teddybear44
24th Mar 2010, 09:42
I don't think things have moved on much since the hairpin and certain stationery items, I could (but won't) mention. ExSp33db1rd, I have visions of you swapping around stewardesses keys etc in order to come to the rescue later ha ha. Perhaps even holding a stock yourself, eh.:O

Cheers, Ted

dubh12000
24th Mar 2010, 09:51
I have had mine opened a couple of times. I think they can also knock the pin out of the hinges and open that way, then put it back. It looks like that was the way they did it on mine.

teddybear44
24th Mar 2010, 10:00
Knock the pin out....now that's a bit steep. Almost be easier to come and find you and ask for the bloomin' key. Padlocks can be replaced for a few quid but broken cases ! Still they don't seem too mind to much do they? And that is why I re-recommend the cheap alternative and leave it unlocked. Put one of those multi-coloured lockable bands round it maybe, which helps prevent accidental opening and identifies your case easily at the reclaim belt. Real touristy !!

Ted

Two-Tone-Blue
24th Mar 2010, 11:16
FWIW I'm a confirmed member of the "scruffy bag and cable ties" community. The outside zipper pocket of one bag contains enough cable ties to last the rest of my life, and a small $1 'swiss army knife' to cut open at destination. That combination has, over the last 20 years, survived numerous journeys to the USA, and the baggage handlers at LGW and LHR, without any trouble. ;)

fincastle84
24th Mar 2010, 12:28
My replacement bag has just arrived. Great service within 48 hours. Well done BA!

When I've used it for 20 years I'll lend it to T-T-B!:O

Carry0nLuggage
24th Mar 2010, 12:44
TSA locks are all very well if you're travelling in the States but if you fly out of the UK, security (I assume :uhoh:) will just chop them off. Since that happened to me flying out of LHR I haven't bothered to replace the locks.

So intent on cropping things at LHR are they, that before Christmas, I had both Fastex buckles on my rucksack cut making it useless at my destination. This would have taken four cuts to do which is a waste of time given that a quick squeeze on each buckle opens them so much easier and quicker. :ugh:

farefield
24th Mar 2010, 12:56
Who needs to open padlocks?

YouTube - ‫??? ??? ???? ??????? ????????!! Opening Your LOCKED Luggage‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c013fwZ9JwY)

fincastle84
24th Mar 2010, 14:13
Who needs to open padlocks?

That's scary, particularly because, guess what? My cases have zippers!!!!!

Two-Tone-Blue
24th Mar 2010, 17:22
My replacement bag has just arrived. Great service within 48 hours. Well done BA!
When I've used it for 20 years I'll lend it to T-T-B!

How very kind, young man! You covered your bet there nicely with the timescale :}

@ farefield ... nice link, and a valuable point. Fortunately, when I fly the only things I value are either in my carry-on, or sat in the seat next to me.

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2010, 17:23
Put one of those multi-coloured lockable bands round it maybe, which helps prevent accidental opening and identifies your case easily at the reclaim belt.

a small $1 'swiss army knife' to cut open at destination

Perhaps anticipating that security would confiscate my small $1 'swiss army knife' those helpful people at new orleans simply cut my multi-coloured lockable bands [which was not locked and put it in the case.:\

teddybear44
24th Mar 2010, 17:29
Just curious, how do you deduce if it happened on the way out or when arriving?

Carry0nLuggage
24th Mar 2010, 18:17
Very good point. I had assumed it happened at LHR since that's where the security checks would take place; at ARN they would be shoving bags onto the carousel to quickly to mess around.