PDA

View Full Version : 6/24 Eye test - would I fail it?

Turbsy
29th Apr 2001, 17:25
I was at my opticians yesterday and seem to be ok in relation to a Class 1 medical eye sight requirments. I also did the 6/24 test, passed with my left eye separately, with both eyes but I would only be guessing by using just my right eye, since it is a little worse than the left. My question is, do BA still require that you have to pass 6/24 unaided or is that no longer the case?

Anyone know about Aer Lingus as well, I know they used to have it as well, but do they still require it?

Finally say I got to the Aer Lingus medical, passed the 6/24 apart from my right eye, would they fail me or would they be happy enough since I can pass it using my left and both eyes?

Any thoughts, or info from someone in a similar position to me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
All the best,
David

batu
29th Apr 2001, 18:09
What is 6/24 in JAR-FCL terms? Batu

Turbsy
29th Apr 2001, 20:58
Its not part of the JAR Class 1 medical requirments. Its basically a test to see if you can read letters 6 feet away that someone with perfect vision could read at 24 feet.

This was taken from a previous post at PPRUNE:

6/24 vision means that you require 6 feet to see things that a person with normal vision can see at 24 feet. The following is extracted from a yahoo search on vision acuity:
"Visual acuity is expressed as a fraction. The top number refers to the distance you stand from the chart. This is usually 20 feet. The bottom number indicates the distance at which a person with normal eyesight could correctly read the line with the smallest letters. Normal vision is considered 20/20. If your vision is 20/40, the line you correctly read at 20 feet could be read by a person with normal vision at 40 feet."

foghorn
2nd May 2001, 17:12
Turbsey,

Almost correct, units are wrong. The 6/6 and 6/24 test are in metres - 20/20, 20/40 is in feet. 6 metres = 20 feet!

cheers!
foggy

Turbsy
4th May 2001, 23:12
Thanks for that Foggy, wasn't sure which it was.

Cheers,
David

Dr Jekyll
7th May 2001, 14:08
Strange really, I can manage 6/24 quite easily, but my correction is outside the limits for class 1.