PDA

View Full Version : Joining an Indian airline.

RoyBoy20
22nd Mar 2010, 19:42
Hello

I have a few questions in regards to joining an Indian airline as a First Officer. Im currently flying the A320 in Europe and would be interested in joining an airline in about one or two years. I am a British Indian and therefore will be able to obtain a PIO card. I've been to India many times before so I understand how Indian bureaucracy functions!

I would be interested in joining maybe Jet Airways, Kingfisher or any other operator preferably based out of Mumbai or New Delhi with an opportunity to fly long haul.

Can I apply directly or do I have to go through an agency? What sort of package do they offer expats? Do they offer any type of accomodation or is it all on your shoulders? With the knowledge that the cost of living in Mumbai is sky rocketing! What about the general quality of life, are people happy in India as an expat? In terms of Salary, roster patterns and the general atmosphere within the airlines. Also can I get a direct entry long haul position or is it based on seniority within the company? What about converting my JAA ATPL to an Indian license, does the agency/airline help at all?

I also understand as of now the DGCA have placed a restriction on the number or expat pilots they are allowing into the coutry... Is this the case or have I misunderstood?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

captjns
23rd Mar 2010, 14:29
Before you take it to the next step, you may wish to enquire with Jet, King, Go, etal. if they are hiring expat first officers. Last I heard they were not... but that was about 6 months ago.

In any event... good luck with your quest:ok:.

Nightfire
23rd Mar 2010, 16:52
Last time I checked with Jet Airways was in 2008, so a long time ago, and maybe their policy has changed meanwhile (although doubtful that for the better).

No chance for an expat for any kind of progress, i.e. upgrading or fleet transfer. You join on one type for a certain position, and that's where you are going to stay for the duration of your contract.

Jet Airways only offered a contract limited for two years. As I said, that was 2008, maybe it's different now.

Salary offer was quite good, roughly the same what they pay at Emirates. I had applied for the 777, for which the situation was quite different than for the 737:
- live at home anywhere in Europe; you'll get a ticket from your nearest international airport to either LHR or BRU with a major carrier.
- duty starts at LHR/BRU, fly for 20 days (e.g. LHR-YYZ-BRU-BOM-LHR-YYZ-BRU), hotel accomodation is provided during your lay-over
- duty ends in LHR/BRU, where you get a ticket back home, then ten days off.

You should write them an email and find out what the situation is like now.
However, I believe it's unlikely that they'll put you on long haul ops without a rating and experience on type.

RoyBoy20
23rd Mar 2010, 22:52
I would like to an opportunity to fly in India, even if it is only for a few years. I wasn't expecting any great expat recruitment anytime soon anyway. Maybe the situation will change in a couple of years and things will look better.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated

320seriesTRE
25th Mar 2010, 14:40
I do not think they are hiring any more unless you are a National or what they call a NNR:ok:

captjns
25th Mar 2010, 19:53
I do not think they are hiring any more unless you are a National or what they call a NNRhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Spice Jet and Jet Airways are hiring expat Captains as we post.