PDA

View Full Version : Eye-biassed AME/consultant sought

Charley
24th Jan 2001, 00:55
Well...

Last week I visited my regular optometrist in order to get a eye test done as a check before my Class I application. The news was good but muddied by th fact that my prescriptions again seems to be totally different to the last. A further complication arises from the fact that my opticians (a big High Street one where you see a different doctor each time) seem intent on somehow 'tweaking' my prescription each time I visit in an attempt to further improve my vision. For example, the optometrist this time said that she would give me the "most minus prescription my eyes would cope with in order to help..." etc, etc.

My worries are not with the initial issue of my Class I but with the long-term viability of maintaining the certificate. For this reason I was hoping to get an assessment of my vision and its long-term prospects by an expert before I fork out the full Class I wedge.

[so finally the point]

If anybody can recommend a good, honest AME with a strong optometry/opthamology background or an equally good consultant optometrist with an aviation 'flavour' then please email me or post it here. I would prefer one in the north of England but I would consider any in the UK. All I seek is an accurate, as-is assessment of my current vision (without the prescription then being modified) and an opinion on the outlook for a couple of decades, if poss.

Many thanks.

ariel
24th Jan 2001, 01:31
Charlie

Don't know exactly where you are, but if you're anywhere near Manchester, try the following gentleman:

Dr Martin Hudson
'Grasmere'
Goostry
Nr Holmes Chapel
Cheshire

Tel: 01477 532527

Nice chap, and will do the opthalogical bit for you, (and give honest answers), for £30.
(He's also the doc for Airtours)

ariel

keendog
24th Jan 2001, 16:09
If you have any reason to worry about your long term eyesight (and it doesn't sounde like you have)then it would probably take a consultant opthalmologist rather than optometrist to deal with it.
I was directed by Dr. Perry (AME in London) to Irving Luke, a consultant opthalmologist in Harley Street familiar with aviation matters. Consultation cost (I think) £110.

Charley
31st Jan 2001, 01:24
Thanks for the leads, much appreciated.