PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Meteorology

General Mutley
22nd Mar 2010, 12:04
Can I ask those of you who have passed the ATPL Meteorology exam - am I the only one to find it really tough?!!
I am struggling to take in all the information on this subject - can you offer me any advice or good sites that simplify some of the basics into a digestible form - thankyou all. :sad:

whistling turtle
22nd Mar 2010, 12:15
Oxford do an excellent meteorology cd-rom that is very helpful, that would be my suggestion.

Met for the ATPL is not that hard once you understand the basics of things like precipitation formation, Heating of the earth, winds, and atmospheric stability - I think if you really try to fully understand and learn these concepts then the rest of it will fall into place for you very quickly. The key is to be fluent with the basics.

General Mutley
22nd Mar 2010, 12:18
Thanks - I think you're right.
I assume there is'nt much difference on the met paper between the ATPL(A) and the full ATPL(H)...???

General Mutley
22nd Mar 2010, 12:23
Anyone else tried the Oxford Aviation Meteorology CD Rom??? Any alternatives or is does that pretty much cover the subject well? Cheers :ok:

punk666
22nd Mar 2010, 12:34
I have the oxford Met disc- its very good and at the end of it each topic it asks you atpl/similar style questions.

*If you know what Torrent files are just search it :E

*File sharing can be seen as illlegal but the phrase 'Catch me if you can' comes to mind

Lt. Goose
22nd Mar 2010, 12:39
I've tried it - it worked pretty well for me! It goes way in detail, tells you everything you need to know, definitely worth having.

Also, if you're really worried about the exam:

*cough* learn the database *cough*

Did you just hear something? :confused:

General Mutley
22nd Mar 2010, 12:44
Thanks gents - very helpful.
I am using the data base but 1150questions is bit of a brain squash!!!!!lol
:ok:

Poose
22nd Mar 2010, 14:48
Just passed the Meteorolgy exam in the first week in January - 78%.

I used the Oxford DVD and a good few weeks on the Bristol Question Bank. The DVD gives you the overview / understanding and the Question Bank gives you the exam practice. It can be a slippery customer this exam, I felt confident going in and had devoted the majority of my time to General Navigation which I was sitting at the same time... and then only scraped a pass! :uhoh:

The problem is that you have 90 individual questions of which the majority are one mark. You need a good overall understanding - perhaps more than other subjects to be able to cuff your way through. You have 90 individual chances of being tripped up.

General Mutley
22nd Mar 2010, 22:09
I just bought the Oxford Meteorology cdrom - it is excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. :ok:

moona
23rd Mar 2010, 14:48
As said above Oxford CD / Bristol QB is your way forward :ok:

redsnail
23rd Mar 2010, 16:52
I assume there is'nt much difference on the met paper between the ATPL(A) and the full ATPL(H)...???

Haven't seen many helicopters mixing with the jet streams with us at FL410 :}

UAV689
23rd Mar 2010, 17:45
it is all down to the few concepts in Met that all come together in the end like a good novel.

Heating of the earth, pressure systems, weather fronts, a bit on TAFS high level charts etc, altimeters, lapse rates - probably a few more off the top of my head but cant remember.

I must admit by the end of MET I actually enjoyed the course, but before got to the end and didnt understand the basics I hated it!!

The same was also true of Gen Nav, hated at first, once you get the hang of it there is actually only a few topics to get your head round and I also ended up enjoying it (well thats what i told myself in order to keep studing!!)

flyhelico
24th Mar 2010, 02:20
put your nose outside, and look up...
met will be more interesting after 2/3 months of real observation!

Lt. Goose
30th Mar 2010, 21:38
I've just realised something.

I've got a few* A4 pages containing database questions and answers for Met here... so if anybody wants me to scan it and email it to them I'd be happy to do it.

Just PM me.

And promise me, before doing this, you will of course learn the subject to the best of your ability :ok:

*By few I mean like 10 double-sided pages, with REALLY small writing.

Pilot Positive
30th Mar 2010, 21:44

No difference whatsoever...its the same exam!!! Helicopters pilots do the same 14 exams + an extra exam based on helicopter theorey.

PP

helimutt
1st Apr 2010, 19:15
Yep (H) is the same.

I failed every practice exam I did for Met then on the day, passed with flying colours. How, i'll never know.
It was a while ago now, but isn't there a Met theory and practical exam.
Anyway, learn the basics and how it all fits together.

It all comes together in the end.

General Mutley
2nd Apr 2010, 15:57
No im doing the full ATPL H so it is different. Just HPL the same as far as I am aware!!!

flyvirgin
2nd Apr 2010, 16:52
Hi there,
I’m sure met is the same but in met the some extra areas you have to cover? How are you finding met now, are you taking the exams next week, I hate hpl,
Cheers,
Flyvirgin

helimutt
2nd Apr 2010, 18:52
hpl is the easy one. It's common sense isn't it? if not, answer C! :ok:

flyvirgin
2nd Apr 2010, 19:34
C or when you got multi answers its 123, it prob is easy i must be thick :}

helimutt
3rd Apr 2010, 09:17
No-one as thick as me!:ooh:

General Mutley
3rd Apr 2010, 09:19
I thought I was the only one...!!! :eek:

Lt. Goose
6th Apr 2010, 09:40
I was under the impression that it was B or the longest answer?

It's done me alright! :ok:

Pugilistic Animus
8th Apr 2010, 00:11
Try Aviation Weather AC-003A :ok:

from the FAA