PDA

View Full Version : Call blocking app/software

Sprogget
22nd Mar 2010, 00:15
Hello. Did you know you can use a Government initiative to clear all your debts...

I get between one and three of these calls every day, seven days a week. The TPS is no help because we are dealing with some unscrupulous companies here. I have even inadvisedly pressed option one and got through to a call centre jockey in order to unload/solicit information all to no avail.

I know they use false CLI's but is there anyone who's had success with call blocking software in order to dump unknown/private numbers, which these invariably are?

This may seem trivial, but it's every day & in my business, I have to take every call that comes in & these are a PITA.

Keef
22nd Mar 2010, 00:21
I don't know any way to block spoofed CLI, but BT offer a (paid for) service called "Choose to Refuse" or some such, which will prevent "Withheld" numbers from calling you.

I don't think it stops "International" without CLI, and I think Police and Hospitals have a way to bypass it despite being "Withheld".

green granite
22nd Mar 2010, 08:10
Demand the police prosecute them for the theft of your electricity, they can easily be traced by the authorities and even if the call centre is overseas, the company that employs them will be UK based and therefore be got at.

(This is what BT used to charge Phone Phreakers with)

pmills575
22nd Mar 2010, 08:11
I used to have BTs "Anonymous caller rejection" service, unfortunatley it doesn't block international calls. There is a prefix code which can be used by anyone who knows it. Local hospitals and doctors never did work out how to use it. The question as to why a hospital believed it was necessary to withhold their number just caused much confusion. Pretty much as waste of time for about £10 a month, or was a quarter....

PM575

mcdhu
22nd Mar 2010, 09:34
A pal of mine, when cold called by a salesman used to say:

''Before we go any further, I have a great set of golf clubs in the loft which I am prepared to let you have for £xxx.....''

Click, from the other end!!

Cheers
mcdhu

islander539
22nd Mar 2010, 10:12
[COLOR="Green"]I always say, "Hold on one moment please. I'm not the householder/boss or whatever, but I'll get him for you." I then leave the phone off the hook and carry on with whatever I was doing. At least that makes them waste their money! :ok:

frostbite
22nd Mar 2010, 12:44
I'm not much help due to poor memory but there is a new device (which someone can probably name) which appears to handle all unwanted calls in a most efficient way, once they have annoyed you once.

It was featured on Dragons Den and, IIRC retails for about £60.

timmcat
22nd Mar 2010, 13:24
trueCall - your nuisance call blocker (http://www.truecall.co.uk/)

I think thats the one that was on Dragons Den...