View Full Version : Joining an Indian airline

RoyBoy20
22nd Mar 2010, 00:09
Hello

I have a few questions in regards to joining an Indian airline as a First Officer. Im currently flying the A320 in Europe and would be interested in joining an airline in about one or two years. I am a British Indian and therefore will be able to obtain a PIO card. I've been to India many times before so I understand how Indian bureaucracy functions!

I would be interested in joining maybe Jet Airways, Kingfisher or any other operator preferably based out of Mumbai or New Delhi with an opportunity to fly long haul.

Can I apply directly or do I have to go through an agency? What sort of package do they offer expats? Do they offer any type of accomodation or is it all on your shoulders? With the knowledge that the cost of living in Mumbai is sky rocketing! What about the general quality of life, are people happy in India as an expat? In terms of Salary, roster patterns and the general atmosphere within the airlines. Also can I get a direct entry long haul position or is it based on seniority within the company? What about converting my JAA ATPL to an Indian license, does the agency/airline help at all?

I also understand as of now the DGCA have placed a restriction on the number or expat pilots they are allowing into the coutry... Is this the case or have I misunderstood?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

niksmathew24
23rd Mar 2010, 12:59
Forget about working as an expat F/O. Nobody wants a F/O expat, but if you're a TR captain with some hours you stand a chance of being hired. Keep in mind that the requirement for an expat will run out soon as the Indian industry is catching up. Try the airlines directly for a job rather than get an agency in b/w.

Forget about converting your license to Indian license,because thats going to be one thing you'll never forget or forgive in your entire life. I suggest you be happy with the European life,because you cant expect those standards of life here.

Even if you get hired, getting into long hauls wont be that easy as the long hauls are flown by WB a/c's. So you will need to get into some company and they need to upgrade you into one of those.

Bottom line, avoid India if you can.:=

rdr
23rd Mar 2010, 13:57
good reply niks, accurate and totally the present scenario.

Mr Moustache
25th Mar 2010, 17:15
If you want to get closer to India then you might wish to consider the Middle East. A couple of airlines there are hiring ex-pat F/Os. With the A320 experience, Qatar may be a contender. They have a few connections with India. Otherwise I think you need command time to be considered as India has plenty of inexperienced F/Os but not so many Capts for them to sit next to.