PDA

View Full Version : messages curtailed!

rans6andrew
21st Mar 2010, 21:11
I seem to having some problems with incoming email messages being cut off in their prime. Over the recent past I find that some of my incoming emails have "[Bayesian]" inserted into the front of the subject line and, often, emails are only being half delivered. I know this because I have a friend that sends me humour on a regular basis and I have received some jokes which are short of some of the pre-amble and the punchline. Also, attached .jpg files are coming in, incomplete.

To make matters worse, some senders are getting delivery failure notification even though the emails are getting through. These emails are often coming through after a delay of typically 30 minutes, which is usually after the sender has rung me up to find out why they are bouncing back.

I have contacted our mail server operator who said he will look into it but as he is in a different time zone to where the server is might take a while.

Any ideas?

Rans6...

rans6andrew
21st Mar 2010, 21:29
ps: I should have mentioned that I am using Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 mail browser and Win Vista. I can't remember if I installed a Thunderbird update when it was offered about a month back.

Rans6

Keef
21st Mar 2010, 21:58
If you are using Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 then you have the latest V2 upgrade, which was released a few days ago to those who use auto-upgrade.

I've never come across the error you mention. Do you only have one e-mail address and ISP to test with?

If you're using Thunderbird and POP e-mail, drop me an e-mail to keef at keef dot org dot uk and I'll e-mail you back with an e-mail address and settings that you can use on one of my domains, which will be completely separate from your ISP. If that doesn't do the Bayesian thing, you'll know it's your ISP. If it does, it's something in your PC.

Saab Dastard
21st Mar 2010, 23:08
Sounds like a spam-filter gone wonky. Do you have one on your PC, or is it done at your ISP?

SD

rans6andrew
22nd Mar 2010, 12:56
with a little help from my friends, thanks Keef and Tony, I have now three live incoming email addresses. Sending the same message to all three (single circulation list) addresses shows that it is only the ones directed through our original host service that are getting bu99ered.

Since we get the hosting there for free we can't complain too loudly. The techy guy that sorts it for us, normally resident in the UK, is 5 hours east of here (on holiday perhaps) and the response to our issue has been non existent, so far. Ho hum.

Rans6

rans6andrew
26th Mar 2010, 20:33
our email host has turned ALL filtering of our messages and the email messages are now coming through complete and without the Bayesian crap in the subject line. I also think that the erroneous delivery failure messages to senders have stopped. Hurrah. Thanks Keef and Tony.

Rans6.....

Keef
27th Mar 2010, 00:23
Glad the diagnosis process worked OK.
Funny address has been duly zapped.