PDA

View Full Version : British South American Airways

Hell Man
21st Mar 2010, 17:35
Never heard of BSAA before; anyone know about its history?

Photos: Avro 688 Tudor 4B Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-South-American/Avro-688-Tudor/1669148/&sid=46e3b11cdeab8d14c299f65ddc4ec80a)

ALLMCC
21st Mar 2010, 17:44
Some more info here

British South American Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_South_American_Airways)

Jamesair
21st Mar 2010, 18:23
I read an article recently about this airline and its Tudor operations to South America. Unfortunately it was ill-starred and there was an above level number of crashes with this particular aircraft type with many lives lost.

eastern wiseguy
21st Mar 2010, 18:30
They also had a major accident in the Andes which was blamed on the jetstream apparently .

irishair2001
21st Mar 2010, 20:35
BSAA,would have been a forerunner of B.O.A.C ,their aircraft always had names which started with Star, ie " Star Tiger , Star Leopard ,Star Lion and the FAs were called "Star Girls ". Unfortunately they flew the Avro Tudor II and Lancastrians. The Tudor suffered a few high profile accidents in BSAA service and the crash in the Andes was a Lancastrian , the remains which where only uncovered intact and with the bodies inside ,some years back when a glazier melted.

tornadoken
22nd Mar 2010, 09:24
Fly with the Stars: British South American Airways - The Rise and Controversial Fall of a Trailblazer, by Susan Ottaway, Ian Ottaway, NPI, 075094448X

Chris Scott
23rd Mar 2010, 01:15
Thanks, tornadoken,

Am no expert, but BSAA was founded and run by AVM Don Bennett, a pilot, navigator, and war hero; who had been leader of the Pathfinder force in RAF Bomber Command (WW2). He was a controversial figure, regarded by some as too clever to be safe in an aeroplane, particularly in peace time.

Even trying to allow for the norms of the time, BSAA seems to have been run more like an air force than an airline, in terms of risk, crew work patterns, and training.

When a South America-bound York crashed fatally on take-off at Bathurst (now Banjul), Gambia, Bennett swiftly conducted his own accident investigation, allegedly trying to avoid the AIB getting involved. It had been a night departure at or above MTOW, and the captain had never flown a heavy York before. (He had flown out from London in a Lancastrian, I think; a smaller aeroplane with a much higher power-to-weight ratio.) The York was airborne much earlier than the ground crew expected, and probably never achieved a safe IAS, stalling beyond the airfield boundary. Bennett diagnosed an engine problem; the AIB later decided otherwise.

I also read the book about Star Dust (the crashed Lancastrian that recently emerged from an Andean glacier): not bad.

For a compelling flavour of those times, I recommend David Beaty's novel, Heart of the Storm, as mentioned recently on another thread. Beaty was a BOAC pilot, ex RAF, and his novel is written from the perspective of the captain of a trans-Atlantic Avro Tudor, in an airline which could only be BSAA. Some of the pressures, though, live on to this day... My copy is either lost, or merely temporarily missing in the garage!

Mike6567
23rd Mar 2010, 11:56
"Both Feet in the Air" by Archie Jackson has a few chapters on his time with BSAA

disturbedone
2nd Apr 2010, 00:21
Agreed reference Don Bennett. Far too smart for his own good. Ran BSAA like he ran the Pathfinders, thinking that a few crashes were inevitable.

Groundloop
2nd Apr 2010, 09:53
Fly with the Stars: British South American Airways - The Rise and Controversial Fall of a Trailblazer, by Susan Ottaway, Ian Ottaway, NPI, 075094448X

Although a good book about BSAA in general the authors do try to claim that BSAA was just as safe as BOAC and BEA at the time by comparing the number of accidents each airline had over the life of BSAA. What they forgot to mention was that BOAC and BEA had much larger fleets and operated far more flights than BSAA. The percentage accident rate in never considered.

Der absolute Hammer
2nd Apr 2010, 09:58
Given Iberia's Latin American route structure, what a splendid coup it would be, when BA take over Iberia, to rename the Spanish structure thus.
Possible by that time that BA would not be able to afford the tail paint job though.

Georgeablelovehowindia
2nd Apr 2010, 11:41
A scan down the list of BSAA pilots shows that, when absorbed into BOAC, they were by no means 'second class citizens.'

R C Alabaster Comet IV Fleet Manager
H S 'Jimmy' Andrew VC10 Fleet Development Manager
Maurice Airies Flight Ops Accounts Manager
H Lincloln Lee Comet IV Captain and author of book Three Dimensioned Darkness - The World of the Airline pilot.
E E Rodley Boeing 707 Captain and featured in BBC documentary The Pilots
Frank Walton Flight Ops Director
P Hart Lovelace VC10 Training Captain
Ron Hartley VC10 Fleet Manager

It's also interesting to see that Monarch Airlines founder-member Chief Pilot and Flight Ops Director Capt A J 'Jack' Burridge was known as Arthur 'Tosh' Burridge in BSAA!
:)

Matt Burridge
25th Mar 2012, 01:13
Can anyone give me more details about Arthur 'Tosh' Burridge - why was he called 'tosh' ? I am his eldest son and unfortunately he passed away 3 years ago I never knew he was called 'Tosh' ??

Talkdownman
25th Mar 2012, 06:58
BSAA website (http://www.flywiththestars.co.uk/)

with a

nice little film (http://www.flywiththestars.co.uk/Video/film.htm)

and a

lovely section about the staff (http://www.flywiththestars.co.uk/Airline/Staff/staff.htm)

rog747
17th Apr 2012, 17:09
this book star dust falling
by jay rayner tells the story how the Andes wreck was discovered and has
alot of history of AVM Bennett and how BSAA started\up
Star Dust Falling: Amazon.co.uk: Jay Rayner: Books

wasn't Branson's mum Eve a star girl?

lederhosen
17th Apr 2012, 19:49
At a certain english public school, maybe others, 'tosh' was the name given to a bath. Maybe your dad got the name because he liked bathing. If matt tells us where his father went to school we can probably eliminate that possibility pretty quickly.

BSAA1947
24th Apr 2012, 09:18
Those of you interested in BSAA may be interested to know that there is a 30 minute programme on BBC Radio 4 this coming Friday (April 27th) about the life and career of Air Vice-Marshal Donald Bennett, Chief Executive of BSAA. The programme is presented by Tom Mangold, is entitled 'The Pathfinder' and is on at 11:00.

Saint-Ex
24th Apr 2012, 11:21
Jimmy Andrews was BOAC`s initial Concorde Flight Manager but retired fairly ealy on during the aircraft`s development stage.

BSAA1947
24th Apr 2012, 15:04
.... in around 1975/76 I believe, having joined BSAA on August 12th 1946.

Johnster
21st Aug 2012, 11:09
I arrived here by chance because I was looking for an old suitcase on ebay. I saw one with the name capt AJ Burridge and googled him, I got here. I dont know if this was your Dad - it says RE (royal engineers?) after his name. Anyway - try this:-

Vintage Metal Travel Trunk Ship/Navy (American Trunk Mart) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Metal-Travel-Trunk-Ship-Navy-American-Trunk-Mart-/320966498481?pt=UK_Antiques_AntiqueFurniture_SM&hash=item4abb1818b1)