PDA

View Full Version : JAA Type Rating Validity following LPC.

ExcelXLS Driver
21st Mar 2010, 14:40
Hi,

I am trying to find out what the validity period is on a JAA type rating following an LPC. I can't find the answer in LASORS

Eg Initial TR valid until December 2007, LPC valid from December 2007 - 2008.

Is the type rating now valid until December 2013?

Am I correct in thinking that a type rating's 5 year validity period will run from the expiry date of the last LPC.

Thanks.

Curtis E Carr
21st Mar 2010, 14:51
A LPC is only valid for 1 (one) year.

LASORS Section F Page 4 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20F%20-%20TYPE%20AND%20CLASS%20RATING%20(AEROPLANES%20AND%20HELICOP TERS).pdf) describes the validity period.

Do not confuse the validity of a type rating with the validity of a licence.

Time Traveller
21st Mar 2010, 17:16
Am I correct in thinking that a type rating's 5 year validity period will run from the expiry date of the last LPC.

The 5 years runs from the last flight on type. Beyond that, the retraining is at the discretion of the authority. Usually it is not that much - One colleague had, I think, 2 extra sims after 7 years away from flying the 744.

ExcelXLS Driver
21st Mar 2010, 17:26
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the info.

I checked LASORS, seems to suggest that as long as my LPC is conducted within 5 years of my last LPC expiry date, an LPC would be the only check necessary.

NICOOOLDUDU
21st Mar 2010, 17:35
I don't remember acurately witch answer I had but if you call the Aviation House at Gatwick they will answer you straight ahead. They are very efficient for all these kind of LPC things.
Cheers

Curtis E Carr
21st Mar 2010, 18:26
I checked LASORS, seems to suggest that as long as my LPC is conducted within 5 years of my last LPC expiry date, an LPC would be the only check necessary.

I think you may be confusing two issues.

An LPC is only valid for 1 year as previously stated. If you revalidate (i.e. do an LPC up to 3 months before the due date), your LPC will now be valid for another 12 months from the date it would have been due. In other words, you could go for 15 months between LPCs.

If you go one day beyond the due date, but not more than 5 years, you will now need to renew your rating. You still have to do an LPC (as you would have to have done so for a revalidation) plus any training that your organisation requires.

If your rating lapses by 5 years or more, you have to undergo training "as required", pass an LPC but this time, the examiner cannot make an entry onto your licence. The paperwork gets sent off to the CAA who will, in effect, reissue the rating (at a cost, of course).

Hope this is clearer.

ExcelXLS Driver
21st Mar 2010, 20:56
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.

Manual Reversion
21st Mar 2010, 21:33
Time traveller, just in case you get caught out, I am pretty sure the 5 years runs from the date of the last LPC, not the last flight. I only mention it as I was caught out in this way with a 5 yr old 737 rating. When I asked for one weeks extension, the answer was 'no' as they'd then be into all manner of discretionary extensions.
All the best

Time Traveller
22nd Mar 2010, 07:17
No

The 5 years runs from the expiry of the last LPC (granted, not from last flight on type, which was slightly more restrictive - I think that was the rule some years ago). It does not run from the last LPC on type.

If your LPC expires by 'one day' (or indeed 4.99 years) - and I quote - " the CAA will require no additional training". Just do a usual LPC, signed by an examiner. Sure, the operator can do extra if they want to (as they can for any pilot, current or not), but it is not a requirement.See F4.4. Curtis makes it sound like going one day beyong expiry causes the sky to fall in - In practice one day before or one day after - It makes no difference - Just an LPC is required, and if you're not up to scratch, then a bit extra is required, just like any current pilot. I've been over by a couple of weeks a couple of times, and it made no difference. (Actually I wish some operators would realise this, as some are fixated on currency for their recruitment)

XLS driver - A nico says, probably better to get stuff like this from the horses mouth and not pprune

Podcast
9th Mar 2012, 21:16
Hey guys,

sorry, but I can't find, where you saw the story about the 5 years ("life") of a TR, in the JAR FCL.