PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ex-Waspies!

Lee Howard
21st Mar 2010, 10:53
Dear All

I'm currently finalising the latest Air-Britain book on Fleet Air Arm types, this time focusing on the helicopters - some of you will, no doubt, have seen my other requests for info on here before. As such I would be very keen to hear from any former Wasp crews who may have photographs and/or slides of their aircraft taken during embarked or foreign operations which they may be willing to allow me to borrow for potential use in the book. All loaned material is copied and returned normally by return of post.

For further details, please see the current request posted on the FAAOA website Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association, FAAOA News (http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/asp/news.asp?NewsItem=1012)

Yours aye

Lee

Brian Abraham
22nd Mar 2010, 00:30
The Aussie FAA operated two Scouts for ship borne survey duty. Do they qualify, or are you concentrating on the Brit FAA?

Lee Howard
22nd Mar 2010, 13:23
Brian

Just the British Wasps, thanks.

Lee

Lee Howard
22nd Mar 2010, 16:54
Thanks David. I have a series of shots of the original Percy's demise near Tengah, and also list his replacement with Danae Flight.

Anyone else out there with photos?

david parry
22nd Mar 2010, 17:31
Doug will be along shortly:ok:

Data-Lynx
22nd Mar 2010, 18:53
Lee. Are you including the 'Green' Wasps? 845 and 848 each had one in the early 70's as a CO's run about & comms aircraft in the days of large squadrons (16 Wessex HU5 plus 4 more spares). I do not appear to have any pics of 845's Wasp but others might.

Lee Howard
22nd Mar 2010, 19:21
D-L

Yes, like I say the book will detail every single FAA helicopter since 1943 (not just Wasps) and will of indeed include the green Wasps - in both gloss and matt finishes!

I have colour slides of both types, but they are very rare. If anyone has others then I'd certainly be interested.

Lee

Lee Howard
23rd Mar 2010, 22:52
david parryDoug will be along shortlyhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

David

Any luck with 'Doug'?

Lee

david parry
24th Mar 2010, 12:41
I have e mailed him for you, he is an ex Waspie, and Pinger:ok:

Waspie41
24th Mar 2010, 23:48
Hi, Doug here!!! Bit late, a trifle busy of late.

I have a bit of history with the Wasp, grubber and aircrewman. Mainly from Tribal class frigates, however I did a tour on a Leander for a while. (Three years).

I have several pics of Wasps, mainly personal shots and several MoD shots, don't know about the copyright on them. Maybe someone could advise on copyright.

If you PM me your email I will forward some on.

Lee Howard
25th Mar 2010, 11:47
PM sent :ok:

John Eacott
26th Mar 2010, 11:58
Lee,

I've a few Wasp photos from the early 70's, plus the usual few hundred Sea King shots around the bazaars with Eagle and Ark.

Any use?

david parry
26th Mar 2010, 12:12
Yes SIR they will do very nicely in my image cave:ok::ok: Permission to borrow them!!!!

Lee Howard
26th Mar 2010, 13:49
John

Yes please! Apologies for not getting back to you after our earlier correspondance. Can you drop me a line off-board please (details in the current FAAOA Blue Book).

Thanks

Lee

Spurlash2
26th Mar 2010, 19:34
...that front left wheel is most definitely askew.

Still, it was the old days.

Lee Howard
7th Apr 2010, 13:57
Just a quick note to thank those who contacted me with offers of help and the loan of photos (all of which duly returned).

Wessex, Sea King and Lynx next......anyone?:)

Lee

Chris P Bacon
16th Apr 2010, 20:56
I have a load of early seventies Endurance flight photos is you need them.