PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Ambulatory BPs done

Pilch
12th Jun 2001, 00:57
Having suffered a case of White Coat syndrome, resulting in borderline BP during Class 1, I need to have a 24Hr ambultatory BP recording. My GP checked BP - all OK, but doesn't have access to the kit at the surgery or via the local NHS hospital to do the necessary the CAA require - anybody know where you can get one done ?

Jetdriver
12th Jun 2001, 02:27
Pilch,

The CAA can supply the kit. They are in short supply and you may have to wait. You have to wear the thing for 24 hours, during which time it takes your systolic and diastolic pressure readings together with your pulse every 30 minutes.

"white coat syndrome" is very common and I am surprised that a borderline reading caused them very much concern. B.P readings do vary throughout the day and it is usual to take a number of readings over a period of time. Worry obviously doesn't help you obtain a better reading.

You can buy your own monitor for around £100 and it is a sensible investment if you are prone to hypertension (high B.P). You can then take readings at your convenience and plot them.

Hypertension is often symptomless, but has serious potential for illness over a period of time, so it is wise to get it treated if necessary. Often it can be controlled by lifestyle changes ( exercise and diet). It can also be treated with various forms of medication.

I hope this helps, but if you want any further information from my own experience with this problem feel free to e-mail me.

mad_jock
12th Jun 2001, 10:12
Whats white coat syndrome?

MJ

Jetdriver
12th Jun 2001, 18:00
an increase in blood pressure, perceived to have been caused by the stress of visiting a medical practioner ( white coat ). It often happens that readings taken in more relaxed surroundings before and after a visit to the (doctor) give markedly lower readings, hence the term.

Pilch
12th Jun 2001, 23:49
Thanks for your responses JetDriver.

I had my BP checked the week before and 2 days after by my GP and I was well within the FCL Class 1 limits. I have also been checking with a home kit periodically all within limits. On the day @ Gatwick the Dr had me down just over, but despite all of this info has insited on 24h Ambulatory. Hence the post. I didn't know the CAA had them, the letter I got said to go to my GP.

I'll give the Aeromedical section a call tommorrow - thanks.

Pilch
13th Jul 2001, 22:24
A quick update - my GP managed to borrow the necessary from a drug rep, I was wired for the required 24h, submitted report to Gatwick - 3 weeks later a nice shiny Class 1 medical certificate was Mine !!!!!