PDA

View Full Version : Wearing "weaker" lenses to improve eyesight...

Bing
22nd Jan 2001, 17:23
Has anybody tried what some on this forum suggests; wearing, for example, -2 lenses when you actually would need -3,5 or -4, in order to make eyesight improve? Has anybody any experience on this? Thinking about trying it.

Thanks.

aviator
23rd Jan 2001, 11:03
It sure worked for me.

In addition, practicing focusing close/far about 50 times in a row works well whenever you have a chance.

The short story is that the eye muscles work like any other muscles. The more they are excercised, the stronger they get. On the other hand, if they get used to focusing up close (like reading or on the computer), their "resting" position will be up close.

These excercises will help regaining their strength and resetting the range of the eye's ability to focus.

If you want some more information, send me an email.

wishtobeapilot
28th Jan 2001, 21:58
Thanks for the info, aviator. If trying underprescription glasses, would contacts be OK ? Thinking of trying the same thing but easier to get underprescription contacts instead of wearables. Thanks.

Mr Magoo
29th Jan 2001, 00:23
buy a pair of cheap +2 reading glasses and wear them whilst you've got your standard contacts in - much cheaper that way!

Also, try not wearing any correction as much of the time as possible - that'll help even more.

Bates works for me fine - my class one medical proves it!!

Magoo.

AMS
31st Jan 2001, 18:49
Hi Guys,

I have got my class 1. Havving astigmatism I am slightly worried as to what would happen if this increased and were to go over the -2.00. Is this the requirement for intial or for all renewals and all??

How will this affect me..??
Are there any methods that I can use to decrease this astigmatism?

Thanks

AMS

JBravo
2nd Feb 2001, 05:28
Don't worry AMS,
The limit for initial test is -3.00. Hope this makes you happy. Sure made ME happy.

Grtz

Constable Clipcock
6th Feb 2001, 11:33
Bing:

Just as a memory refresher into the real "reasoning" behind the dioptre debate, please re-read my post under this thread, which you yourself originated:

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum52/HTML/000313.html

WRT the use of weaker lenses, yes it works; I use this technique myself. On the civil aviation side of things, I have no worries on this issue as I am fortunate enough to live in a country which could care less about what strength glasses a commercial pilot needs (USA) as long as the wearer is correctable to 20/20 or better. Still, there remains one issue: weaker lenses cost less, and if you can make your eyes adapt to a prescription of lesser strength, then so much the better!

By all means, check out these links here:

http://members.aol.com/myopiaprev/index.htm
and
http://www.myopia.org

amirfl
9th Feb 2001, 22:25
found another site about natural vision improvement:
www.mindandsight.com (http://www.mindandsight.com)
just thought it should interest someone...

aviator
28th Feb 2001, 21:42
Here is an informative website

www.seeclearlymethod.com (http://www.seeclearlymethod.com)

long final
28th Feb 2001, 22:39
AMS - current astigmatism limits are +/-2.00 for class 1. If anything they will be reduced (or increased as it were?!?), so if you are already in the 0 to +/-2.00 range you should have no problem.
I have no ideas about how to improve the condition, I have this problem (+2.5) and am desperatly trying to find some way around it - the man who can from the caa won't bend too much over +/-2.25, but ive not finished with him yet!
If you find anything to help please mail me.

All should hope that the jaa/caa see sense like everyone else and remove these lower limits this year, after all how many N reg a/c fly over our heads every day without this rule?

JBravo - your post re +/- 3.00 for the initial test - was that for astigmatism or for long/short sight? Very interested to find out.

Hermie
2nd Mar 2001, 07:58
Hi,

To improve your eyesight is not impossible. Short/Long Sightedness are illnesses. Therefore illness can be cured. The most important thing is to, Believe in yourself. Second, only use your glasses when you really need to use them. Don't be dependent on the glasses. I've done that and trust me it works. My eysight has improved. Before it was 6/24 now its 6/18 and 6/12 for a period of 1 year. It takes alot of believe. I hope it works for you too.

In Life There Is Hope, In Hope There Is Life

BlackDot
4th Mar 2001, 16:47
Using weaker prescriptions is fine, but here's one tip to increase the likelihood of success:

You have to be cautious that you don't make an effort to see clearly through the weaker prescription; this is particularly likely in the initial stages of wearing weaker glasses when your eyes are used to seeing more clarity. A good practice is to intersperse the weaker prescription with wearing no glasses at all - quite soon the wearing of the glasses will seem incredibly clear, and it's possible to move forward into a more relaxed and natural way of seeing.

A good rule of thumb is to go for lenses that give you about 20/40 (6/12) accuracy. That's usually close enough for the eyes to figure out how to let go a little bit, and ease into the lower refractive error.

(Good luck!)

BD

boeinglover
12th Mar 2001, 06:12
Hi guys, thanks to all your info and guidance. I am currently recovering slowly but showing progressive improvement from my previous prescription of glasses or contacts.

Previously I could only read up to 20/200 without correction but now could even read clearly up to 20/70 and a little of 20/50 letters.

Thanks to all for guiding me to a wonderful experience of regaining my eyesight the natural way instead of opting to go for lasik.

Cheers.

amirfl
12th Mar 2001, 14:17
boeingglover,
glad to hear of your improvemnt.
what exactly did you do?