PDA

View Full Version : how is GA in Rwanda nowadays?

Air_King
19th Mar 2010, 04:15
hi there. i havent seen any posts for a while on the situation for general aviation in Rwanda. i'm interested to do some flying there and want to hear people's experiences there as far as places to fly and dealing with local CAA there...

from what i've read about the country, sounds like great scenery and the elevation makes the climate much more comfortable...

heliace
21st Mar 2010, 10:05
Hi,

Are you fixed wing or rotory? The helicopter GA is active but there are currently no light aircraft operating in Rwand.

The CAA is not bad as long as you know who to speak to.

If you have specific questions I can help.

Lastly, it is a great country to flyaround.

Air_King
21st Mar 2010, 10:54
i'm doing fixed wing flying, so i'd be looking to rent probably cessna 172 or similar and take in the sights. ya, from what i've read it sounds like an amazing place to fly in, and an interesting place to visit (i'm based in asia right now).

glad to know the CAA is good to deal with there. i've recently found license conversion here in countries around asia getting to be much more of a hassle. used to be just a bit of paperwork and maybe a check flight. but, now, everyone wants written tests up that wazoo.

are u based in rwanda now? how long u been there?

takeoffpowerset
21st Mar 2010, 14:54
any jobs around in Rwanda for low time pilot with 450tt and 200 on be-200???

Youngback
22nd Mar 2010, 18:54
There is next to nothing operating out of Kigali. Rwandair is flying their jets around but I have seen nothing smaller than them based in Kigali. If you have 400TT, I would suggest Tanzania or Botswana although I have heard they are intent on having Botswanian pilots only from now on in that country.

Air_King
26th Mar 2010, 06:49
so, are there any flying clubs operating in rwanda or anywhere/anyone where i might be able to rent a small aircraft from, like cessna?

Der absolute Hammer
26th Mar 2010, 07:11
The last time I was at an interview for a post on the Tanzanian side of the lake we were given the warning against eating the fish from the lake.
This was because there were so many bodies floating around on the Rwanda side that no one could be sure if the fish had been munching them. No one knows if eating AIDS infected bodies gives fish AIDS and then what happens if you, a human, eat the fish?
So.....does cooking kill the SIDA? No one knows but as a strict Roman Catholic the Friday observance is most important.

Air_King
26th Mar 2010, 08:38
Der Absolute Hammer,

i'm guessing this interview u mentioned didnt happen recently....as far as i know, things have been pretty peaceful there in Rwanda for over 10yrs....or am i wrong?

takeoffpowerset
26th Mar 2010, 14:28
hey guys can someone tell me the process of converting ur ( canadian / indian ) CPL to a zambian or Tanzanian CPL , is there a flight test ? and what would be the approx. cost and time involved . Thanks a lot . hoping for some +ive replies

JEP
26th Mar 2010, 16:56
Air-King: No you are not wrong. Rwanda is quite peaceful these days.

To your original question.
I don't think there are any flying clubs or others renting single engines like C172 or simliar.

I am not even sure, you can get AVGAS in Kigali.

There is however a flying club in Entebbe - a friend of mine got his PPL there a few years ago. But that is not i Rwanda (obviously).

mwanzanese
26th Mar 2010, 18:28
avgas distribution has been suspended due to lack of customers, as per notam. don't have to mention there is no GA at all there

Air_King
30th Mar 2010, 03:51
it's too bad that there is no GA going on right now in rwanda.

if anyone is planning to get something going on that, like maybe a flying club, then pls post it here...

@JEP

hmmm entebbe..have to admit i hadnt considered there...actually had to look it up on wikipedia...haha

how is it there for flying. i was originally thinking of rwanda cuz i know its higher elevation and thus not as hot....more mountainous, etc. what were your friend's impression of entebbe when he got his PPL there? or if he is on pprune maybe ask him to post a few words about it...

tls

4runner
2nd Apr 2010, 10:05
There is avgas in Rwanda. The helicopter operator uses the stuff and has many drums sitting around. It's not cheap, but available...Also, no GA here really. They have helicopters(run on avgas) and two broken down pipers but that's it. All GA here comes from SA or Tanzania for the most part.