PDA

View Full Version : Frequencies and flight levels question

B314
19th Mar 2010, 02:48
Before posting a question here I try to research as much as possible until I can’t find the answer or the information is so technical it’s beyond me as I’m not an aviation professional.

(I am also aware that whilst it’s not illegal to buy a scanner it is illegal to listen to the airbands but....;)).

My son and some friends are flying to Thailand for a post graduation holiday in June, (LHR-BKK). I wondered if it would be possible to hear radio traffic between the departing a/c and “ground” for the want of a better term as I’m not sure who they might talk to and I read somewhere that as the autopilot is used there won’t be much to hear other than requesting a higher flight level, whereas on approach to LHR there’d be much more chatter.

So I established the exact route using Radar Virtuel RadarVirtuel.com (http://www.radarvirtuel.com/#) praised elsewhere on this forum as well as AirNav RadarBox AirNav RadarBox - Screen Shot refreshed Every minute (http://www.heathrowcam.net/liveradar.php) Then I accessed the NATS website and found the relevant LACC Sectorization maps detailing the Central Area Group with frequencies for London Middle and Upper Sector 25 (132.600) and Sector 2 (127.430). From my location in East London I doubt I’d hear Heathrow Delivery or Ground but Director on 134.975 and Tower on 118.500 are just about audible, replies from a/c however are.

I tried listening in on a handheld scanner for the same flights this week but have heard nothing from the Thai 911 callsign which I worked out from their website. So, am I right in assuming there would be relatively little radio traffic other than the aforementioned flight level requests, or is it possible I have out of date frequencies? Before I head off and research all available publications and purchase one could someone enlighten me please?. Oh and appropo their return am I right in thinking the frequencies would be the above in reverse order i.e 127.430, 132.600, 134.975 and 118.500?

Whilst I‘ve always had an interest in aviation I certainly wasn’t that aware of the complexity of ATC and how “condensed” it is in the UK, if that makes sense, the NATS maps and 3D display makes any lay person like myself realize how many sectors and waypoints (?) exit and that ATCer’s (sorry probably wrong term) are a very special breed of people, maintaining composure, self control and humour. Next time I fly, whenever that may be, as well as appreciating the a/c and crew I’ll also be more mindful as I peer down at Google Earth below me that a calm, well spoken, clearly enunciating Controller is adding to my safety whatever my flight level.

neroliie
19th Mar 2010, 05:21
I can't answer your question, but I completely agree that ATC and aviation is fascinating!

DTY/LKS
19th Mar 2010, 07:59
Hi

The plane in question would not enter the sectors that you are talking about overhead London as they are "high level" sectors. London Middle is FL220-300 and then London Upper sits on top FL310-660.
The plane's probable flight path & descent profile would take him through sector 14 & 13 which are the Clacton sectors. i am sure you can find the frequencies yourself.
Then it would descend into Terminal Control airspace (TC) and would work their East Controller before heading towards the LAMbourne hold.
Hope this helps.

DTY/LKS
19th Mar 2010, 08:06
Forgot to say,

On his flight in & out then you will hear lots of "chatter" on the ATC freqs as his route is through some of the busiest airspace in the world.
When the plane is flying on Autopilot the pilots are still in constant communication with ATC & receiving headings, levels & speeds to fly.
Autopilot is the equivalent of you pre-programming a route into your sat nav in your car, but someone, in this case ATC can override that info & tell you turn at any point and they also tell you when to climb or descend. Autopilot is very similar in a sense to cruise control in a car. It will maintain a heading, a speed or a level the same way that your car can maintain a speed without any input, but at the start the info needs to be put in by someone, the driver or in this case the pilot.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Mar 2010, 08:08
Firstly, you can never be absolutely certain that a particular route will be followed. Density of traffic, bad weather, military exercises can all effect routes, especially in busy airspace around Europe.

Secondly, very little is automated apart from the actual flying of the aeroplane. ATC still passes instructions to the pilots, who then input them into the autopilot... but there's still a great deal of talking. Many moons ago aircraft would make frequent position reports to ATC. This does not happen now as everything is radar controlled so controllers can see exactly where each aeroplane is in the sky without being told. The radar also shows the aircraft height and other information.

R/T chatter on Heathrow Ground is very busy, but each aeroplane may only received 2-3 instructions as it leaves the gate and proceeds to the departure runway. A similar number will be the norm when it transfers to the tower frequency. As soon as it is airborne it will be transferred to London Control and several frequencies will be involved during the climb until it leaves UK airspace. Again, R/T traffic may be considerable if it is busy.

Your problem, if you are unfamiliar with R/T, will be making sense of the various transmissions. On busy ATC frequencies, instructions are issued every few seconds to many different aeroplanes so it is easy to miss some.

B314
20th Mar 2010, 01:20
Thanks DTY/LKS & HEATHROW DIRECTOR. I think I'll have more luck with the return to LHR rather than the departure. I've been able to follow some of the frequencies and have heard a/c being held at Lambourne and then passed on to Heathrow.