PDA

View Full Version : b737 flap mechanism

aerofoil1
18th Mar 2010, 18:35
hi all
forgive me if this request is not strictly to do with pro pilots.

im currently building a scale b737 rc jet of around 2 metre wingspan most of the work i have some sort of ideaon how to go about it, but does anyone know of any cheap or possibly free cad program of some sort i can use to create a working model of the flap mechanism.
typically i would pick the 737 with triple slotted flaps!!
i dont really want to carve out a load of hobby metal only to find that it doesnt work!
here is the link of what im attempting to create
any help would be great
thanks
Patent US6598834 (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6598834.pdf)
i know its ambitious!!:E:ok:

Chille Con Carnie
18th Mar 2010, 21:01
forgive me ,if you have ever worked on the classic a/c flap system you should know what a peice of work it is,
NG Flap system better,same size a/c A320 fab.

aerofoil1
19th Mar 2010, 16:10
well ive never worked on any aircraft as such, im having ppl lessons in my spare time.
This project is more of a hobby.
yes its an amazing piece of mechanics but my question hasnt been answered!!! thanks for the reply thou

Alber Ratman
20th Mar 2010, 08:41
Triple slotted flaps on a 2 metre wing span 737 model? You are having a Steffi Graf mate. The classic system is cable driven with cam wheels moving the actuator rods to push the fore flap and the aft flap away from the mid flap. there is also the exhaust flaps ob the inboard and outboard flaps. NG system is easier, without the exhaust flaps and is rod driven, with bellcrank linkages. Good luck designing your minature..

aerofoil1
21st Mar 2010, 20:49
im sure the original designers must have used a working model to create the mechanism yes its complicted but not impossible im sure.bear in mind i have only basic engineering skills but one does like a challenge.

Alber Ratman
23rd Mar 2010, 20:15
If you can design slotted cam tracks and programme tracks, crack on mate. The 737 CG system was drawn on paper first. The NG possibly was CAD..:cool: