PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly unable to read CD ROMs

G&T ice n slice
18th Mar 2010, 15:23
I receive data on CD Roms/DVD ROMS

The organisation I get these from has just updated all its systems and is now using Acer computers with the latest (quote unquote) version of Windows

No my system won;t read the CD Roms any more. I am still using W2K Pro as operating systems with all the updates. I have also got the most recent driver updates for the CD/DVD reader/writer

Windows tells me "this is working correctly" (or somesuch) when I go through the troubleshooter.

Nero software knows there is a CD rom in the drive & will happily check it, but keeps deciding that the first block and the last block is "damaged"

I can still read older CD Roms....

Is this one of these annoying MS "lets force everyone to upgrade all their equipment totally un-necessarily" issues again ??

Anyone any ideas - I've tried everything including buying an external reader/writer - which also won't read these newer cd-roms

aargh

Cheers

groundbum
18th Mar 2010, 18:02
are the people creating these CD's using different software to do the job on their new PCs? What was the old way and what is the new way they are using?

Usually with MS stuff when newer software will create stuff that is incompatible with older computers etc there is an option someplace to do things in compatibility mode. So I would ask the people making the CDs to check what options they may be able to enable and disable before creating the CDs for you...

G

frostbite
18th Mar 2010, 20:53
There is also the question of finalising. Certainly applies to DVDs, not sure if it's automatic with CDs.

If I produce a DVD on my Sony and forget to finalise it, there's no way the computer will read it.

BOAC
19th Mar 2010, 11:08
Are there any files on the disc?

G&T ice n slice
19th Mar 2010, 14:02
Hi Chaps,

oh yes, files on he disk. My next door neighbour's laptop will read the cdrom no problem. Im not sure what he's running, I think its windows 2007 or something like that

I copied the files off the disk using his laptop up into the bt-vault thing & then downloaded them from the vault onto my system and I can open them & use them

So I am guessing there is some sort of microsoft bakwards-compatability thing going on.

hey ho, just another day fighting microsoft